904 Valve body decision

-

74Scamp

Reaction score
I’ve dug through some other posts about this and some have kind of an open ended answer. I’m going to using a B&M promatic 2 instead of the column shift and I’m wanting a manual valve body, so I’ll be going with a TransGo tf 3 kit to use in my current valve body while I save up for a trans rebuild and full manual valve body . I don’t want to deal with a TV cable and I know I can just tie the lever back fully and that’ll keep the pressure high all the time. For a weekend cruiser, at this time, should I be worried about the high pressure or will I be alright? This is if my car will be driving before the end of fall.

I have a trans go shift kit in my 67 set on coffee spiller that car rips the payment burns rubber into second gear and when manual shifted feels like it's going to rip apart from the drivetrain lol I would run a aftermarket trans coolers Hayden 677 but that's up too you!

I've got a TF-2 in my 904. When the trans shop had it on the dyno, they noted that the pressure was extremely high in reverse. So high that they recommended I take it easy in reverse or I'd be bending a band apply lever.

I’ve dug through some other posts about this and some have kind of an open ended answer. I’m going to using a B&M promatic 2 instead of the column shift and I’m wanting a manual valve body, so I’ll be going with a TransGo tf 3 kit to use in my current valve body while I save up for a trans rebuild and full manual valve body . I don’t want to deal with a TV cable and I know I can just tie the lever back fully and that’ll keep the pressure high all the time. For a weekend cruiser, at this time, should I be worried about the high pressure or will I be alright? This is if my car will be driving before the end of fall.
If you tie the lever all the way back on an auto valve body, it won't shift until high rpm.

Never seen one bend.

Nope, me neither. What I have seen is a popped rear servo spring retainer due to the higher pressure associated with the TF-2. This will give an instant loss of reverse gear. A billet aluminium spring retainer is highly recommended for this reason.

Sorry for the late reply here. Yes I’ll be running an auxiliary trans cooler (a B&M). What’s a high rpm for the shift point if the TV is tied all the way back then, 2,500/3k/3,500?

IMO;
1) Running without adjustable throttle pressure , on the street, sucks.
2) And for me, so does having to upshift/downshift ALL the stinking time, lol. That lasted a week for me, only because I had to work during the week,lol, and there was 5 of those days until the following Saturday.Never again on a DD
jus saying.

I don’t mind shifting all the time. I have to when driving semi so doing it in my car won’t bother me lol so then if a guy doesn’t tie the TV cable fully back but say 3/4 then the shift points get lowered and things aren’t as bad? I know I’m probably asking some dumb questions and I’ve read up on some info about the throttle valve and pressure and etc. Just most of that was on a stock setup and doesn’t quite help answer what I’m trying to do.

If u have the TF-3 kit it makes the vb totally manual and u have to shift it everytime up and down. It shifts when u shift it regardless of where it kd lever is. Tie it all the way to the rear of the trans and be happy. If u have the TF-2 u need the kd e we irking properly. Get the right linkage or a Buchellion cable kit. Kim

I don’t mind shifting all the time. I have to when driving semi so doing it in my car won’t bother me lol so then if a guy doesn’t tie the TV cable fully back but say 3/4 then the shift points get lowered and things aren’t as bad? I know I’m probably asking some dumb questions and I’ve read up on some info about the throttle valve and pressure and etc. Just most of that was on a stock setup and doesn’t quite help answer what I’m trying to do.
Yes and no; the further back that you tie that Throttle-Pressure lever, the harsher the Part-Throttle up-shifts will be; and the later, and the automatic downshifts can get pretty aggressive,to the point of skidding the rear tires.
But if you do not tie it All the way back, then at Full-throttle, you run the risk of frying the clutches/bands.

-
Back