90's Durango - Mechanic told friend to scrap

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
I have a friend with a late model Durango. I am not sure if it's a 5.9 or 5.2, but he was driving on the freeway, it lost power so he pulled over and it died.

He was able to restart it, but it died immediately.

His mechanic said the timing belt broke and to junk it. I.dontmknowich about Magnums, but don't they have a chain like the old iron? Also, would it restart of the timing gear broke?

It sounds fuel related to me.

The 5.2/5.9 engines have chains just like their LA brethren. The 4.7 OHC V8 uses multiple chains. No belts in V8s. Could be about anything from plugged cats to bad alternator to bad fuel. His mechanic sounds like a complete dickweed.

The 5.2/5.9 engines have chains just like their LA brethren. The 4.7 OHC V8 uses multiple chains. No belts in V8s. Could be about anything from plugged cats to bad alternator to bad fuel. His mechanic sounds like a complete dickweed.

I agree. I was gonna get by and do a compression check and check for fuel pressure and spark. Simple stuff.

Probably not a Magnum but may be a 4.7. Those are a overhead cam engine and are usually a interference engine meaning when the timing chain or belt goes south, the valves hit the pistons and do a lot of damage. The vehicle is old enough it will cost a bundle to fix. Yes, probably time to retire it.

Probably not a Magnum but may be a 4.7. Those are a overhead cam engine and are usually a interference engine meaning when the timing chain or belt goes south, the valves hit the pistons and do a lot of damage. The vehicle is old enough it will cost a bundle to fix. Yes, probably time to retire it.
Didn't the Magnums run in the Durangos though '03? '99 was the first year for the 4.7, so if it's a '98 it's definetly a Magnum.

It's for sure a magnum. He sent me this picture. I'm getting the year now.

Screenshot_20201208-184624.png

Didn't the Magnums run in the Durangos though '03? '99 was the first year for the 4.7, so if it's a '98 it's definetly a Magnum.
Could be. I didn't look that up. Need to see if the Magnum is a interference engine as well.

If it doesn't fire up at all try shooting some starting fluid in it. If it starts its fuel related.. my wife's Durango just needed a in-tank fuel pump. I think I got it on Amazon for around $65...

It is a 4.7L! Vin: N. Dang it! Well I may still go over and check compression, etc. It's just weird that it would restart if the timing was off.

It is a 4.7L! Vin: N. Dang it! Well I may still go over and check compression, etc. It's just weird that it would restart if the timing was off.
I still think fuel issue. Listen for the fuel pump first. If you don't hear a buzz, hit the center of the tank with a soft mallet or your hand to jar the pump, sometimes it will make them run again for a moment. If it does fire like that, it's time for a pump.

I don't think the 4.7 went into Durangos until 2000 but from that pic it looks like the 4.7 airbox

Yea 4.7 overhead cam is a bugger to change the timing chain!

Bang on the tank if it starts it's the fuel pump, had this happen in my old ram.

Fuel pump is my vote. The 4.7’s always run. Power distribution box issues.

-
Back