90's "muscle car" choices?

-

jeeper

Reaction score
Hello,

I know this is a Mopar site so I didn't get lost on the way here. For a variety of reasons I would like to get a newer, RWD EFI car with a manual transmission. Something presentable and affordable as in under 3k. Just a fun driver.

Please be kind. I know brand loyalty is strong amongst Mopar people but I don't know of any sporty RWD cars that are EFI for under 3k made by Mopar.

Currently I own an 87 Mustang that I am making a half-hearted effort to sell. It is a bit of a project but is solid. It may be more of a project than I need right now though. If it does not sell, I will finish it later this winter.

For a car of this vintage I can see two options more or less. The 5.0 or the Camaro z28.

I've owned one 5.0 already. I never saw under 19 MPG it handled well and was fun to drive. Pretty reliable. I drove it 160 miles a day for two summers.

They would seem to be a logical car. But........I keep looking at the 93+ z28. The thought of another 50 CID, a 6-speed etc. for the same money more or less is tempting. I've done some research and they do have a few documented issues. Not entirely sure on fit and finish, opti's etc.

Ideas? Thoughts? Actual experience with the z28?

I'd like a newer one but 6k+ is out of my price range right now.

Thank you for your ideas:D

IMHO I have always been loyal to the MOPAR/Pontiac brands..the Trans-AM would be the way to go for me if I didnt have the Dart

Yeah you can get a Stealth or 3000GT in AWD Turbos and they are pretty dang quick, but nice ones aren't that cheap.

The good thing about these cars is that there's a lot of support in the aftermarket for them if you want to boost power and handling etc, i think that overall they are pretty good cars.
I think the 5.0 liter Mustang is a better package though.....

I have done some light duty research on most of those cars. At least the DSM stuff from the 90's. At first, they seem like the best thing out there. AWD with some, Turbo, good mileage etc. After asking some more questions though, the consensus was that they became a lifestyle. As in you are always working on them etc. Always.......these thoughts came from our fellow site Moparts. I know some here don't care for the site, but there was a vast majority that weren't into them because of reliability.

They may have been referring to modded ones etc. I know some had issues with crank walk etc.

Currently there is a younger guy who wants to trade me a 92 Plymouth with a turbo etc. It is basically the same one you are talking about.

But my car guy gut says that it has been ridden hard. It has a bit of the Fast and Furious look to it. Ripped plastic here and there etc.

One good thing about the 5.0 is I know what I am getting into. I own it, and I have some support for it and everything under the sun is available. I figure mine would take 1K and be on the road. Not painted etc. but it would be reliable and able to be used daily.

Also, I was a Ford guy before becoming a Mopar guy. Now GM..........Never have done much with them other than Jeep engine swaps. But the bigger engine and 6-speed are seductive.....

Hard to beat a late 80's - 90's 5.0 Mustang for cost to performance value in my opinion.

I personally wouldn't own any Mopar products from the 90's other than a Viper or maybe a truck.

IMPALA SS!!

Seriously, I'd go for the 95+ Camaro Z28 with the LT1 and T56. LT1s are bullet proof, it's just a ***** to get at the wires. The optispark for the most part is quite reliable until it gets water in it, so I'd get the vented one which is the 95 and up. The intake should have something like the blue thing on top. (this is on my caprice) I'm trying to get my sister to buy what I just suggested for her first car so that if it eventually dies, I get a free transmission for my Caprice SS. :D

Attachments

• IMG_5710[1].jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 4,946
camaro or mustang if you can find one not beat to death. i like th estangs myself. tons of after market parts out there for them.

I look at it this way. Which car is easier to work on, and cheapest parts to buy. Mustang, period. That generation of camaros is the worst car in the world when it comes to needing repairs. I have repaired several of those camaros and firebirds over the years and I hate em! Have fun doing the simple task of replacing the fuel pump when it dies. Goes from what should take about an hour to over four hours, due to the rear axle having to be basically removed from the car to access the tank. Then move on to replacing spark plugs, or god forbid having to remove the intake manifold. Worst engineered car on the planet. So that's my take on it. Mustang all the way.

Been beating that question around myself. I want to drive it every day, and figure there are 4 things I want; a 5 speed minimum, AC, EFI and cruise. In the '90s, I don't see anything but a Mustang or Camaro, and nothing from Mopar if I didn't want a truck.

Even thought about dumping my Duster and buying a late 90's to early '00 Mustang, but the wife doesn't want me to, and I kind of like not seeing myself coming. I see probably 3 to 6 Mustangs a day, but hardly ever a Duster.

I'd go Mustang before Camaro, though. Dad is a Ford guy, my first couple of cars were Fords, and I've always been anti-GM. Not a rational reason, though.

the mustangs were always boss from 82 and up but in the mid eighties the irocs and such were pigs - but since 93 the second generation LT vette motor in the 4th gen camaros put the z'ed back on top - i'd buy the camaro

Man.. I had a 1996 z28......

3600 converter, 1.6 rr's,
headers , full exhaust
and a built transmission.

12.5's all day on motor
11.8's on 75 dry shot

26x10.50 slicks

1.61 60ft and did pull left front of the ground
on that pass

No computer tune, stock worn out suspension.....
yet my car was not typical, but for the money invested and
the work done, it was super fast.

however you will cuss at a few opti's (crappy stock distributor driven off of the cam shaft) in your cars life time.

i'd buy a 6 speed lt1 again in a heartbeat!

I know some people will disagree, but if you find a good running ls1 car for 3k and under, grab it, it will be the best bang for your buck!

With the criteria you listed, I'd keep the Mustang. The 89+ models have mass air which makes mods easier, but the conversion for yours isn't particularly difficult or expensive.

That 80s GM stuff is pure junk, and the 50 extra cubes don't get you anything except worse mileage. LT1 has more power than the 80s stuff, but still all of the disadvantages in terms of repair complications.

I agree with streetdak about the LS1, but I haven't ever seen one worth buying for that amount of money.

Just cause the car came with F.I. or a computer when new doesn't mean it still needs it today !

Depending where about you live, if no smog testing is down, if a carb fits under the hood no reason why it can't be converted over.

The only choice I see here is a Mustang.

The Camaro is really a poor car when it comes to fit and finish (the interior and trim basically falls apart).

The Stealth is 100% pure garbage and is hugely expensive to repair. This is why you never see any.

I'm still trying to figure out "90s muscle car". Makes no sense to me.

Dakota R/T, short box regular cab. Even a 92 to 95 Dak. The earlier ones with the 5.2 are quicker then a old stang out of the box. But I'm bias.

I personally think the Dodge 2.2 and 2.5 turbo cars were little "pocket rockets".
There is a ton of support for the racing upgrades by Mopar Performance, and it's not expensive. The Daytona's with the 3.0l weren't slouches by any means.
The Stealth's, while nice looking, are extremely expensive to maintain. There is also a problem with the parts not being available. Especially with the manual transmissions.

Not hard to make a early 90s Mustang run the number. I can build one off the shelf from the corner store. That's what makes them boring. Sorry if I have offended anyone and if I have you are on the wrong site. :toothy9:

Dakota is great, if you are OK with a truck. Not knocking it, just not what I would like (although I'm not the one asking the question, either).

Drove an '89 LeBaron GTC with the T2/555 package for years, put 280,000 miles on it, and it was still fun to drive and got me on average 30 mpg when I sold it about a month ago. But, for me, I'd like to go back to RWD. FWD was ok, just not what I would want in a car like that.

I've thought about the later '90s BMW 3 series. They look to be fun, and the M3's have some spunk. No idea on cost, or maintenance, though.

Or how about the MK 3 Supra? Turbo 5 speed, could be fun (if you can find one without a fart can and wing).

Not hard to make a early 90s Mustang run the number. I can build one off the shelf from the corner store. That's what makes them boring. Sorry if I have offended anyone and if I have you are on the wrong site. :toothy9:

I completely agree. Thing is you can do it cheap. If I was a young kid looking for a first car and had a choice between a 1970 dodge dart with a slant 6 auto and a 1991 mustang 5.0efi 5 speed with AC relatively same condition at the same price. Lets say $2,500 it would be a no brainer for me. give me the Mustang. Unfortunately I really believe that is why its hard to sell an average "A" bodies now days. It just cost to much money to get the performance to a level playing field with a mid 80's and 90's Mustangs.

I'm stupid and have 3 "A" bodies. Only 1 that currently runs and I have no money lol...

I know this is a Mopar site so I didn't get lost on the way here. For a variety of reasons I would like to get a newer, RWD EFI car with a manual transmission. Something presentable and affordable as in under 3k. Just a fun driver.

Please be kind. I know brand loyalty is strong amongst Mopar people but I don't know of any sporty RWD cars that are EFI for under 3k made by Mopar.

V8 car? Mustang.
V6 or 4cyl. car? The as said MoPar units are good, but lack RWD. Dayton's are very nice though. (V6 Models)

Another V8 car, but not given a manual by the factory that I have seen, would be a Monte S/S, though they didn't run to late IIRC.

-
Back