A-833 or A833 OD?

-

Old Geezzer

Reaction score
Need help on this one:
Found a guy listing a mopar A-833 trans out of 66 Abody. But the pictures he has list is showing 3&4 shifter arm Floped over.As I remember all four speeds had both arms up.And the OD trans had the floped arm.
Please correct me if I'm wrong

Thanks OG

a833.jpg

I beleive if it is an overdrive 833 the input bearing retainer should measure 5.125". larger than the regular 833. Mike

looks like cast iron, (by the other pictures) E-mailed asking for case material and front brg retainer messurement, no reply yet.

Thanks OG

Thanks for all of your inputs: Just got the E-mail from him.Looks like its going to be an OD trans from the front brg retainer size. Oh well on the the next one.

Thanks again, paul

340mopar said:
FYI the first year (1975) 833 OD was cast iron.

Chuck
I did not know that, mine was a 1976. Thats why I'm here. to find these things out.

I have a cast iron OD trans out of an A body. All OD trans's have the 3-4 shifter lever turned up. If you don't have a tape or caliper handy, that is a quick reference.

How much was he asking? It might still be a good buy. It has a shifter & would pretty much bolt in to most A Bodies with the right bellhousing or maybe a bearing retainer swap.

mikedevore said:
I did not know that, mine was a 1976. Thats why I'm here. to find these things out.

I didn't know either until about 6 months ago when I bought a complete '75 Scamp parts car with a 4 speed. When I crawled under the car and saw it was cast iron I thought, cool a standard 833. But after I pulled the trans and saw the big retainer I knew OD, then I though DUH, the 3/4 lever was turned over. I should have noticed that right off the bat, but when I saw cast iron it just drew my attention away from the other things.

The site is great for learning new stuff, I am no spring chicken and still learn stuff all the time.

Chuck

the easiest way to tell is by the front bearing retainer.. its will be over 5 " if its an OD.. i have a cast iron OD here...

I bought one off ebay for $125. and a shifter and linkage for another $87. I have seen the box sell for $100 on here as well. :headbang:

-
Back