A-999 Swap and Information

-
The chart on MyMopar.com is for 904 and 727 transmissions only and not even complete for them. I have ran into some transmissions that didn't show up on it and they were made in the same time frame as the chart covers. It's still quite handy though as there is not much published on transmission numbers. I tried a search for the one you listed and it does show it's a A500. I can't tell the year though. Is it the one Paul has listed for sale?

The chart on MyMopar.com is for 904 and 727 transmissions only and not even complete for them. I have ran into some transmissions that didn't show up on it and they were made in the same time frame as the chart covers. It's still quite handy though as there is not much published on transmission numbers. I tried a search for the one you listed and it does show it's a A500. I can't tell the year though. Is it the one Paul has listed for sale?
On my end it says this, if it is an A500.
4505164 ‘90Dakota,4×2,3.9L,A500 ‘90DodgePickupmdl.D150,3.9L,A500 ‘91Dakota,4×2,upto2/12/91,3.9L,A500 ‘91DodgePickupmdl.D150,upto2/12/91,3.9L, A500

the front pump and input shaft can be changed to accomidate the non lock up converter assemblies. A and A trans offers all the necessary "change" over components. rick allison [owner of A and A] has a tech line at 4:30 most every day. he is kind and very knowledgeable. he has helped me through some of my "issues" on the 904/999 transmissions. "they offer" a large array of components for the 904. from all billet aluminum to replacement "factory" components. In fact, the new Challengers are running HIS 904's and setting et records. his transmissions work and they last under high horse power/torque applications! Pix of two 904/999 running 1.26 to 1.31 60' times with tranz brakes leaving between 4800 to 5200! No problems here! A and A parts throughout both transmissions!

Attachments

• Dart @ Milan. summer of 2010 up very high.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 328
  • 2010 Ray's dart starting line shot June !.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 328
the front pump and input shaft can be changed to accomidate the non lock up converter assemblies. A and A trans offers all the necessary "change" over components. rick allison [owner of A and A] has a tech line at 4:30 most every day. he is kind and very knowledgeable. he has helped me through some of my "issues" on the 904/999 transmissions. "they offer" a large array of components for the 904. from all billet aluminum to replacement "factory" components. In fact, the new Challengers are running HIS 904's and setting et records. his transmissions work and they last under high horse power/torque applications! Pix of two 904/999 running 1.26 to 1.31 60' times with tranz brakes leaving between 4800 to 5200! No problems here! A and A parts throughout both transmissions!
I have an A&A reverse manual valve body that is going inside of my valve body and I cant wait to move it through some gears.:-D It looks like a real high quality piece8)

sorry for the delay,,, yes this is pauls trans, if its an early 90s trans the pics dont add up,,,he shows a large wiring harness,,,and a 3 wire plug- for the O,D... i thought it should be a 2 wire for the early O,D and 3 wire for the later ????? if some one can clear this up,.,,maybe i should call A&A i met him several years ago,at the indy mopar swap,, nice guy,,,,,

sorry for the delay,,, yes this is pauls trans, if its an early 90s trans the pics dont add up,,,he shows a large wiring harness,,,and a 3 wire plug- for the O,D... i thought it should be a 2 wire for the early O,D and 3 wire for the later ????? if some one can clear this up,.,,maybe i should call A&A i met him several years ago,at the indy mopar swap,, nice guy,,,,,

I saw the pic. that showed the large wiring harness. I think all it contains is the 6 wires (3 from the neutral switch and 3 from the o.d.). It's kind of a tangled mess so it looks like there are more wires. As I said earlier the early overdrives had a 3 wire plug for the overdrive because there are 2 solenoids. The later overdrives have a much larger plug with numerous connections because they are fully electronic shift and have many more electronic components.

ok thanks,,all i rememebr is reading some where the early ones had a 2 wire,,,???? so can this 3 wire be converted to use a switch to activate the OD??

the blue wire is for the converter lock up.....one wire 1987+

i have a 1987 904/999 NON O,D with hyd lock up converter, no electrics needed for lock up,,

so if the BLUE wire is for lock up,,,what controls the locking up of the converter???? there are said to be 2 wire O,D trannys that only require a toggle switch to operate the O,D... how can this 3 wire be used in a non computer car it at all ????

o

i have a 1987 904/999 NON O,D with hyd lock up converter, no electrics needed for lock up,,

so if the BLUE wire is for lock up,,,what controls the locking up of the converter???? there are said to be 2 wire O,D trannys that only require a toggle switch to operate the O,D... how can this 3 wire be used in a non computer car it at all ????

o

It is locked up hydraulically. Everything I read says the blue wire Un-lock's the converter, not locks it up.

The 2 wire O.D. models don't have a lockup converter. They are just O.D. transmissions with a standard converter.

ok thanks for clearing it up.,,,cant they just make one style and make it simpler for us hot rodders,,,,lol

talking about information , anybody knows the horsepower limit of the a999 with the "classic" upgrades like red alto clutches , transgo and "cheap" stuff ( servos ,bands ,etc )? no billet drums.

That would interest me also. I have the JW BB to 904 (999) bellhousing and plan on putting it behind a 383 in my 63 Dart.

Mike

That would interest me also. I have the JW BB to 904 (999) bellhousing and plan on putting it behind a 383 in my 63 Dart.

Mike

I am curious about the 1st gear gear ratio in the low-gear applications.

That article at the bottom of this thread says it's just 2.54:1, but with a 1.54:1 2nd gear. My T-flite expert friend, Len Schneider says that's a mis-print or typo and is actually 2.74:1.... that that is the only ratio possible with a 1.:54:1 2nd gear.

Anybody have any info on this?

That article at the bottom of this thread says it's just 2.54:1, but with a 1.54:1 2nd gear. My T-flite expert friend, Len Schneider says that's a mis-print or typo and is actually 2.74:1....

Anybody have any info on this?

Low gear set ratio is 2.74:1.

Think about it - 1980's or so Dippy/Fury/Fifth Ave. must weight about 4,000lbs plus. Probably has a 318 with about 95 horsepower and an open rear diff. ratio of about 2.76. Needs all the help it can get in the torque multiplication department!

Low gear set ratio is 2.74:1.

Think about it - 1980's or so Dippy/Fury/Fifth Ave. must weight about 4,000lbs plus. Probably has a 318 with about 95 horsepower and an open rear diff. ratio of about 2.76. Needs all the help it can get in the torque multiplication department!

I am sure you're correct about the 1st gear ratio.

I really HATE it when an "instructional, textbook-style article" is wrong about something like this. Don't these people ever proofread what they write?

That 2.54 jumped out at me as soon as I saw it... and, I'm a low-grade moron. They need to be more careful....

I tried to look up my trans on that list & it doesn't show either. It does have the 5 clutch drum,low gear set & the 1 wire for lock up but somebody cut the wire flush so it can't unlock the converter & also had it disconnected on the VB itself. My #'s are as follows PK 4446366 & it has the dished drum & pump. I took pics & would like some opinions on the hard parts condition in the pics. Thanks in advance for any info

Attachments

• Picture 1094.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 264
  • Picture 1095.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 278
  • Picture 1096.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 279
  • Picture 1101.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 264
  • Picture 1100.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 269
  • Picture 1099.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 272
  • Picture 1098.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 271
  • Picture 1097.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 273
  • Picture 1102.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 282
I tried to look up my trans on that list & it doesn't show either. It does have the 5 clutch drum,low gear set & the 1 wire for lock up but somebody cut the wire flush so it can't unlock the converter & also had it disconnected on the VB itself. My #'s are as follows PK 4446366 & it has the dished drum & pump. I took pics & would like some opinions on the hard parts condition in the pics. Thanks in advance for any info

The only thing that pops out to me is the groove on the splines on the rear clutch carrier. I have never seen a groove there but I also have never been into a 999 so it may be for clearanced for something. Those splines engage into the front clutch carrier clutch plates and the plates are much softer than that hardened spline so I think it'd be hard for them to do that. Just my thoughts. That did the clutch plate splines in the front carrier look like? The VB looks ok other than needing completely disassembled and cleaned.

The clutch plate splines looked fine. We couldn't figure out the grooves in it either. All the clutches were fried & the steels burnt & someone had sanded/ground the burnt spots. They seemed to use it as 904 w/o locking out the OD behind a 340 in a 70 Challenger. My buddy is installing the good clutches,bands & also a Trans Go shift kit if they make 1 for it. It is going behind a 0.40 340 with balanced bottom end & wondering what converter I should use.

The clutch plate splines looked fine. We couldn't figure out the grooves in it either. All the clutches were fried & the steels burnt & someone had sanded/ground the burnt spots. They seemed to use it as 904 w/o locking out the OD behind a 340 in a 70 Challenger. My buddy is installing the good clutches,bands & also a Trans Go shift kit if they make 1 for it. It is going behind a 0.40 340 with balanced bottom end & wondering what converter I should use.

As I look at the grooves again they look so uniform like they were machined they must be for something to clear, I'd assume anyway. Actually it's not an OD trans. Just has a lockup converter. It'll lock and unlock via hydraulic pressure provided by the valve body and the switch that you mentioned is cut close has a wire leading to the brake switch to make it unlock anytime you step on the brake. Converters aren't nearly as plentiful for a lockup trans. but they are available. As for what converter you need that mostly depends on the cam. Big cam needs a high stall. Stock cam works fine with a stock stall. There are 2 ways you can go about it. If you want to keep the lockup feature you'll need to call around some good converter companies and see what they have or can make for your application. Your other route is to swap the input shaft and valve body for a non-lockup converter. That'll open up lots more options for converters. Plus it'll guarantee you can use a trans-go kit. If that's the route you choose you can get the parts to do it dirt cheap at www.wittrans.com Just look for an input shaft for a 68 or newer 904 and a valve body for any non lock-up 904 will work but the 72 and up model has part throttle kickdown which I like, but that's your choice.

will a 999 bolt up to a 340 and fit in a 68 dart with out cutting tunnel up?

-
Back