A Body 741 Sure Grip Value.

-
Unless I am mistaken, I believe all the 741 sure grip units were the Dana Powerlock clutch units from the factory. But as mentioned, it's been a long time, so it could have been swapped out.

lol, column shift and looks like it still has the rear window defroster.....cool find though. Post more pictures when you get it out of there

Is it a column shift? If it is its the first RHD Ive seen in the UK. Yeh, rear defroster on all the RHD FB's for the UK. 4 pot Kelsy Heys, HD Suspension and head rest bucket seats etc.

This is the RHD Convertible Ive recently bought. Its a rolling shell but the second pic is from 10 years ago before it was stripped down for a rebuild and abandoned. Its still got its Sure-grip but a second is always handy. :D

The Dash I just bought as even that was missing. Thankfully someone saved it from another RHD Barracuda a few years ago, so its car correct. Got the Wiring Loom off of him as well as the instrument cluster.

118232758_310330380288637_6424188799751089866_n.jpg

ebay_151715452666_5.jpg

Here's convertible
Very very rare Right hand drive American classic. Plymouth Barracuda Convertible V8 318cu (5. 2L) 1969 needing a full restoration. Full matching numbers. Vin BH27F9B22158. Originally blue Q5 metallic paintwork with white interior and white hood. Showing 160000 miles from new. Engine sounds great - I believe rebuilt 6 years ago. Auto gearbox and power hood. Many spares to be given with the car including new hood. nbsp;spare bonnet. doors etc etc.
Any inspection welcome but please no time wasters. Please only bid if you are serious. You are bidding to buy. I know of only one other in the country. This was imported new by Warwick Wright concessionaires for Chrysler in 69. It is not an Aussie import. It was built at the Hamtramck plant for export to the UK. List of all previous owners and some previous history including many previous tax discs. Car is complete and I have all badges. chrome work etc. which will all be given with the car.
Funny side note, They refer to the roof or convertible top as a hood
View attachment 1715593022

Weirdly enough this is the car I bought earlier this year. :D Its my second RHD 1969 Barracuda in the last 20 years. How did you come to know so much about it? This is its condition now. :( I bought it off a garage that planned on making a hot rod outta it but thankfully he could not register it as the VIN is missing, thankfully not the Fender Tag though and he could not figure that one out. :D So its not registered in my name as though the fender tag I obviously got the VIN and someone else knew the Registration Plate number. Ive tracked down the missing parts, 10 boxes of them and agreed a price but the seller is not an easy man to pin down to a collection date.

The mileage was 16,000, so 160,000 must be a typo.

Yeh we call the Rag Tops 'Hoods'. When it rains you pull your hood of your jacket up over your head right? Same with a convertible. :D

There was 5 RHD Convertibles for '69, two are back in the USA and one is crushed. The weirdly painted one Ive attached has just came out of the woodwork and is soon up for sale. I'll be bidding on it if cheap enough.

The pic of the blue one is when the pink monstrosity was new.

The pic of the yellow one is when the one in the field was new.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

View attachment 1715593237

thumbnail_IMG_0112.jpg

Capture.JPG

103728220_1909035475893876_6031548678189474882_o.jpg

Last edited:
This is supposedly the only '67 Barracuda RHD convertible 273.

View attachment 1715593180

View attachment 1715593183

Maybe left, but there was 7 1967 RHD Convertible 273's build. 12 for 1968 and in '69 there was 5 but with the 318. This is from the registered keeper for them in the UK. He got me the registration plate number for mine so I could register it in my name. He says that there is still 70% still known and running.

There was over 200 RHD '67-69 Barracudas imported into the UK. Convertibles, Coupes and FB's.

Is the RHD auto cable shifted? Or linkage going around the transmission? Or a different trans than a 904 or 727?

Regular 904 floor shift. Ive yet to see a column shift. The Aussie RHD cars (liek my profile pic) also got a 904 for the 318's but the 340's got a 727. Australia imported a container load of pre-72 340's for a race program that fell through and did not want them competing with the Hemi-6 which was seen as the performance engine and top of the line (over 300hp) so the 340 was strangled and put in a gentleman's version of the 770. Single exhaust etc.

Weirdly enough this is the car I bought earlier this year. :D Its my second RHD 1969 Barracuda in the last 20 years. How did you come to know so much about it? This is its condition now. :( I bought it off a garage that planned on making a hot rod outta it but thankfully he could not register it as the VIN is missing, thankfully not the Fender Tag though and he could not figure that one out. :D So its not registered in my name as though the fender tag I obviously got the VIN and someone else knew the Registration Plate number. Ive tracked down the missing parts, 10 boxes of them and agreed a price but the seller is not an easy man to pin down to a collection date.

The mileage was 16,000, so 160,000 must be a typo.

Yeh we call the Rag Tops 'Hoods'. When it rains you pull your hood of your jacket up over your head right? Same with a convertible. :D

There was 5 RHD Convertibles for '69, two are back in the USA and one is crushed. The weirdly painted one Ive attached has just came out of the woodwork and is soon up for sale. I'll be bidding on it if cheap enough.

The pic of the blue one is when the pink monstrosity was new.

The pic of the yellow one is when the one in the field was new.

View attachment 1715593235

View attachment 1715593236

View attachment 1715593237

View attachment 1715593241

View attachment 1715593242

View attachment 1715593243
I just research everything I can about all 2nd gen Barracuda's. How did the yellow one end up where it did? Thanks for the information.

I just research everything I can about all 2nd gen Barracuda's. How did the yellow one end up where it did? Thanks for the information.

Im really not sure how it ended up in a field. I'm yet to see it personally and someone on a cars in barns forum in the UK posted it up and asked what it is. Anyway, as its on FB some random person said her father used to own one, yellow then painted green. Or the other way around. As the one in the field is both yellow and green its highly likely the same car. Ive got the post code and even the exact coordinates for the car but as yet I dont have the sellers phone number which Im still waiting on. I know its getting crushed soon so maybe I'll have have to head down with a trailer and chance my luck. It is a 6 hour drive down though. :(

Is it a column shift? If it is its the first RHD Ive seen in the UK. Yeh, rear defroster on all the RHD FB's for the UK. 4 pot Kelsy Heys, HD Suspension and head rest bucket seats etc.

This is the RHD Convertible Ive recently bought. Its a rolling shell but the second pic is from 10 years ago before it was stripped down for a rebuild and abandoned. Its still got its Sure-grip but a second is always handy. :D

The Dash I just bought as even that was missing. Thankfully someone saved it from another RHD Barracuda a few years ago, so its car correct. Got the Wiring Loom off of him as well as the instrument cluster.

View attachment 1715593233

View attachment 1715593234
Well the picture shows what appears to be a lever on the left side of the column

What would really be interesting is if any of the export 1969 RHD Fastbacks had the "Slickback" vinyl roof option.

Not sure yet. I'll expect its what it came with from factory, but I dont know what Barracuda's came with in '69.

The car could have come with the clutch type or the cone. The confusion comes when Chrysler dropped the clutch type in about 69? and stayed with the cone type. Some people think that is when the cone type came into being. But the cone was available way back when along with the disc type. The 1969 year for the cone type is incorrect in the following information.

From Big block Darts . Com

Sure Grip
Sure Grip is the Chrysler name for a limited slip differential. It was optional on the 8-3/4" axles, 1958-1974. Two styles were used.

Dana Power-Lok
1958-1969 used the Dana Power-Lok (# 2881487). This unit utilized clutches for the differential locking action. The Power-Lok can be rebuilt using kit # 2070845 ( Mopar Performance [MP] # P4529484 ). In this assembly, axle driveshaft end thrust is taken by the thrust block assembly (replacement # 2881313). This Sure Grip appeared in the '741' and '742' assemblies. The axle bearings are: 25590 (Timken cone), and 25520 (Timken cup), (Chrysler numbers 1790523 and 696403). The Dana Power-Lok can be recognized by its bolt-together assembly, bolts around the side opposite the ring gear, and multiple openings exposing the cross shafts.

Borg Warner Spin Resistant
1969-1974 used the Borg Warner Spin Resistant (# 2881343). This unit utilized a spring-preloaded cone friction arrangement for the locking action. Axle end thrust is taken by the cross shaft. This Sure Grip appeared in '489' assemblies and 70 and later '741'/'742' assemblies. The differential axle bearings are: LM 104912 (Timken cone), and LM 104949 (Timken cup), (Chrysler numbers 2852729 and 2852728). The Borg Warner Spin Resistant unit can be recognized by its lack of bolts on the side opposite the ring gear (like the Dana), and two openings exposing the preload springs. Borg Warner sold this design to Auburn Gear who currently offers the replacement Sure Grip assemblies.

Non-Sure Grip differentials can be identified by the large openings in the differential exposing the differential (aka. spider) gears. There are no springs or clutches.

Interchange Notes:
The two Sure Grip types can be interchanged between the carriers if the matching differential axle bearings are retained. The outside diameter of the cups are the same between the '741'/'742' and the '489'; the inner cone differs.

The Sure Grip differential can be used as a direct replacement for the non-Sure Grip within the carrier/bearing limits previously noted.

There is an interchange problem with differentials and axles manufactured prior to 1964 (See Part II, Section 1: "Thrust Block Variations").

Last edited:
The car could have come with the clutch type or the cone. The confusion comes when Chrysler dropped the clutch type in about 73 and stayed with the cone type. Some people think that is when the cone type came into being. But the cone was available way back when along with the disc type.

Yeah we've had that discussion before.....but obviously I forgot. lol

Never heard 73 being the switch over. I’ve found it to be 69 Dana type. 70 up cone style.

Got the ending year of the eight and three-quarter mixed up with the ending year of the clutch type Sure Grip. But if you go back and reread my post number 38 you'll see I corrected that

My answer to the question of the value of a complete original a body 8 and 3/4 rear axle would be.

Depending on the condition of the brakes the drums the bearings the gears an the housing itself I would value it at 750 to $1,200. Jmho that I highly value.

What would really be interesting is if any of the export 1969 RHD Fastbacks had the "Slickback" vinyl roof option.

Never heard of it, what does that look like?
nv, googled it. :)

Last edited:
In the USA, 8.75" rears came with Spicer Power-Lock (clutch) sure-grips from 1958 through the 1968 model year. Starting in the 1969 model year, they came with Borg Warner Spin Resistant (cone) sure-grips.

In the USA, 8.75" rears came with Spicer Power-Lock (clutch) sure-grips from 1958 through the 1968 model year. Starting in the 1969 model year, they came with Borg Warner Spin Resistant (cone) sure-grips.

Not according to the ad in post #45.

Starting in 1969 "Only" the cone type was available but was produced and used from the 1950s thru 1974.

I’ve been in this hobby since I bought a new 1970 340 4 speed Duster. And my personal experience is that I’ve never seen a cone SG in a early model 741 or 742 case. That I knew came from the factory.

-
Back