-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keystone

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Contact seller
If anyone has a pair of axles from an A-body 8 1/4 rear, I could use them. The axles in the rear I bought are rust pitted where the seal rides and I don't see how they could possibly not cause leaks. I might make a post to see if there is a way they can be repaired, but if anyone has a set please let me know.
Pitted.PNG

** EDIT ** Treblig gave me a great suggestion, so I'm going to go that route. Hopefully I can get these axles fixed up with the redi-sleeves. Thanks FABO.

Last edited:
I looked at that but didn't see the right size. I measured the machined area at 1.616" which falls in btween their part sizes
redisleeve.PNG

Would it be possible to turn the axles on a lathe to cut that area down slightly so the 99163 part would work? If so, that's a great solution.

I looked at that but didn't see the right size. I measured the machined area at 1.616" which falls in btween their part sizes
View attachment 1715771205

Would it be possible to turn the axles on a lathe to cut that area down slightly so the 99163 part would work? If so, that's a great solution.
Absolutely!! I'm a machinist, there should be a place in town that can turn down the seal area. But.......If you buy a ready seal and the OD comes out 1 or 2 thousands bigger than needed it shouldn't cause a problem at all!! The ready seal is designed to be heated to make it expand and fit over the axle. You should call them as see which one will work with your axle diameter. There are many options. You can also install the ready seal and have the machine shop grind the diameter down to your liking??

Awesome! I feel much better about his now. These parts are getting so hard to find I'm really glad there are workable solutions. I know a guy (worked at the same place I did before he retired) that has a machine shop. Been a couple years since I talked to him but I'm sure he'd be willing to help me out. Thanks again for the info.

Awesome! I feel much better about his now. These parts are getting so hard to find I'm really glad there are workable solutions. I know a guy (worked at the same place I did before he retired) that has a machine shop. Been a couple years since I talked to him but I'm sure he'd be willing to help me out. Thanks again for the info.
No problem. Just remember that the seal area (where the seal rides) must be ground to get the correct finish. The axles can be "cut" down (not ground) to get the size that is correct for the seal (no grinding required). The Ready seal will provide the correct finish even though the axle was cut. Hope this make sense. It's machinist terminology so I'm sure if you'll understand??? I'm pretty sure that if you call the Ready Seal people they will tell you that you can use their seal as is with not cutting?? I would sand the area down myself at home but then again I know how to do that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back