A Body 8.75 housing/axles dont match

-
The only way those axles came out of a Duster with an A body 8 3/4 is if they are aftermarket units. No A body 8 3/4 ever had large bolt axles.

i thot 340 cars and big block cars did...

There's the 2nd worst bit of Mopar info out there! Cosgig, of course is correct. I'd have to guess the original problem here is your axle seller sold you axles out of a B body housing that was stuffed under an A body. This is a popular swap even though the B body housing is a couple inches wider. Some folks even prefer the B body width. Maybe because the front track is slightly wider than the rear track on a stock A body, ('67 or later)?

There's the 2nd worst bit of Mopar info out there! Cosgig, of course is correct. I'd have to guess the original problem here is your axle seller sold you axles out of a B body housing that was stuffed under an A body. This is a popular swap even though the B body housing is a couple inches wider. Some folks even prefer the B body width. Maybe because the front track is slightly wider than the rear track on a stock A body, ('67 or later)?

good to know! i think it would be good if admin would make a sticky or archive the page that crackback posted. then every few months the same questions wouldn't be asked. cuz i looked for this topic but couldn't find it.

thx guys for ur help.

I figure that info was wrong. I have never actually had a stock width A body axle in my hands to measure oddly enough. I apologize for the bad info. I went ahead and saved that new page on Moparts for my reference, thanks for clearing it up for me. :bootysha:

I figure that info was wrong. I have never actually had a stock width A body axle in my hands to measure oddly enough. I apologize for the bad info. I went ahead and saved that new page on Moparts for my reference, thanks for clearing it up for me. :bootysha:

yea it helps when everybody has the same info and on the same page! fabo admin should start linking correct sites that we post so that we dont have to keep asking the same questions every couple of months

I've been lobbying for YEARS at moparts and have made comments here about canning that F'ing chart.

No luck.

I don`t think the factory stick welded the housing ends on either. They looked fused, don`t even look like a weld. The center housing parts and perches are mig welded on.

I don`t think the factory stick welded the housing ends on either. They looked fused, don`t even look like a weld. The center housing parts and perches are mig welded on.

well i know the perches were sticked. and guessing by the splatter i would say the housing parts were to

well i know the perches were sticked. and guessing by the splatter i would say the housing parts were to
Mig can throw a bunch of spatter, if not properly set, speed, etc. I`m narrowing one and the perch welds were super hot,run fast, and left 1/2" or so gouges at the ends of each weld. nasty but served the purpose, houseing looked better but gobs of spatter shallow concave weld, but served its purpose. The ring for the center section, looked good, more critical. housing ends, real critical, smooth and could`nt tell if it was welded,has to be with some process, I haven`t seen. If housing ends were arc welded, the houseing was probably narrowed. good luck resolveing the issue.

Mig can throw a bunch of spatter, if not properly set, speed, etc. I`m narrowing one and the perch welds were super hot,run fast, and left 1/2" or so gouges at the ends of each weld. nasty but served the purpose, houseing looked better but gobs of spatter shallow concave weld, but served its purpose. The ring for the center section, looked good, more critical. housing ends, real critical, smooth and could`nt tell if it was welded,has to be with some process, I haven`t seen. If housing ends were arc welded, the houseing was probably narrowed. good luck resolveing the issue.

we found it was the axles they were for a 68-70 b body

-
Back