A-Body brake help

-

ron hug

Reaction score
anyone upgrade their brake master cylinder?
I have a 64 barracuda with drum brakes.
Looking to switch to power brakes looking for tips and tricks

Put a 15/16" bore manual master cylinder on it. You probably have a 1" or 1 1/16" bore manual master on it now.

Put the new 15/16" bore master on it and it will feel much better control, and less foot pedal pressure required to apply the brakes.

Almost like power brakes, but with the simplicity of manual brakes. The smaller bore gives you a longer stroke, and more leverage with your foot to apply pressure to the brake shoes.

Fits the A bodies manual drum/drum

We use same one on the manual drum/ drum B bodies too.

20210415_222442.jpg

20210415_221623.jpg

15/16" drum/drum master ^^^^^

Available at Rockauto.com
'73 Dart V8 manual brakes, drum/drum
RAYBESTOS MC36338 15/16" bire

20210415_224332.jpg

Which one for disk/drum non power?

Here is the Disc/Drum manual master
You will have to research a little more. To see if it is the 15/16" bore. The bigger the bore, the harder the pedal is to press.

Screenshot_20210415-231724_Chrome.jpg

Have been going off the '73 Darts for the manual brake masters for the A bodies.

My 1964 Valiant convertible has an MC for a 95-99 Plymouth Breeze w/ ABS (2 ports, inverted flare) on a 2 to 4 bolt adapter plate ($30 ebay). The bore is 7/8"D so an easy pedal effort. You don't need a power booster for drum brakes. The brake pedal winds up in the same place. Search for my post w/ photos. For any choices listed here, you will need to replumb for split front/rear tubing, which is safer. Replace the factory 1/4" MC tube w/ more common 3/16". You can use your factory tee if you put a 1/4 M to 3/16 F inverted flare adapter and plug the rear port. Run a separate tube from MC to the rear tube, using a in-line 3/16" F inv flare coupler. You can buy all adapaters in bubble packs at Autozone. If you later plan front disks, you might plumb in an adjustable proportioning valve now in the rear tubing.

Here is the Disc/Drum manual master
You will have to research a little more. To see if it is the 15/16" bore. The bigger the bore, the harder the pedal is to press.

View attachment 1715724049

Have been going off the '73 Darts for the manual brake masters for the A bodies.

I almost positive I used that MC maybe for 1974 with my Kelsey Hayes front Disc /rear drum 10" but still seems I'm putting to much effort at the petal. If anyone does know the bore size off the 73 it would be helpful .

-
Back