A-body Cars w/ 383 & 440 Engines - Power Steering & Brakes

-

Sport789

Reaction score
I read that P/S and power brakes were not an option in A-body cars with the 383 and 440 engines, the engine bay is too small. Is this correct? Thanks!

No, not correct. At various times power steering was available on 383. Not available on 440, but it does fit with the 90 degree fitting on the gear.

I have a 69 Barracuda formula S 383 4spd with power steering. It's very uncommon, but was available from the factory.

I've own a couple dozen factory 383 and 440 Darts and Barracudas. In 67 power steering was not an option, but I have seen two Darts with power brakes and a few Barracudas. In 68 power steering showed up with the redesign of the drivers exhaust manifold along with power brakes. In 69 you could get both but it was still not common. I have seen it more common on Barracudas than Darts in my 40 years of playing with these cars. The 69 GTS 383 4-speed I bought in 1978 and still have has factory power steering. Here is a picture of my burnt 69 GTS power steering showing the 90 degree adapter. The hose I had made after mine developed a leak. I will show the original hose in the next picture.

Power steering.jpg

It will fit in there with enough lubricant and jumping up and down on it... but the engine compartment is crowded enough with a low-deck BB, let alone a 440. Not to mention the tremendous weight of that PS chunk and pump. Just go manual. My two cents ;)

DSC00416_zpsinbxrdya.jpg
440 and PS fits no problem, B body hose and pump

69 Barracuda 440 here... stock (318 originally) w/ 4 spd, power steering, manual breaks, TTI shorty headers. I chose not to worry about a clutch fan, since not enough room (even for the short clutch), so went with a 17” fixed fan. It’s been a good choice, but mine is a stock 1977 motorhome 440, so not a ton of hp yet.

Schumaker vs TTI Headers

CFF9E9CC-F5E6-4FE5-82E2-23D9E1C82DDF.jpeg

I read that P/S and power brakes were not an option in A-body cars with the 383 and 440 engines, the engine bay is too small. Is this correct? Thanks!

PS can easily be added if you want. If I was doing it I'd use modern parts rather than original ones. Put a Corvette PS pump on there and a Borgeson box.

I did mine. Stock power steering box, and power brakes, with a 383. I used Shumacher headers. Fit is tight, but it works.

I just reused all of the PS parts that came on my 71 Darts slant six. Had to buy a new bracket but that’s it, no new fancy lines or anything.

I've had a big block in this car since 1982....always ran a fan clutch, and have used power steering and power brakes.

If I were to run PS again I'd look into one of those Borgeson units, if it fit.
cuda 499.JPG

I have a 440/727 in my Dart with stock power steering. No power brakes. It looks like the booster would hit the top of my finned aluminum valve covers. I used TTI headers also. Had to put some dings in to make them fit but they fit.

Power steering was not available in 67 A body 383 cars, but the driver's side exhaust manifold was changed for 68 to accommodate power steering, and PS was available for 68 and 69 A body 383s.

Picked this 72 dart up from a buddy last week, my good friend built it 17 years ago and he wanted to make it spear as factory as he could, 440/727 with power steering and brakes as well as working AC. It’s tight in there but fits and works great!

4863D2C6-5DC6-4CB0-B278-004EFA3FD195.jpeg

0712805C-C8FA-496D-B819-1F31EDB39078.jpeg

7D0B4EB3-E2F1-4356-B53B-7650A8D9BBDF.jpeg

0630DF8A-2FD0-4DE2-B4C8-463EB7490F16.jpeg

7A9C5A6C-30E7-494F-9193-EB440C345957.jpeg

5EBA2F8C-85D0-4A87-8D4C-930B25376525.jpeg

You (or whoever built this car) are officially my HERO! I’ve had this idea for several years. Fitting a 440, power steering, power brakes, a/c AND a 4-speed using all Mopar pieces including exhaust manifolds from whatever Chrysler product that would fit. PLEASE TELL ME MORE about this swap. Specifically, what k-frame and what motor mounts were used??

You (or whoever built this car) are officially my HERO! I’ve had this idea for several years. Fitting a 440, power steering, power brakes, a/c AND a 4-speed using all Mopar pieces including exhaust manifolds from whatever Chrysler product that would fit. PLEASE TELL ME MORE about this swap. Specifically, what k-frame and what motor mounts were used??
Thank you! Lol, I wish I could take credit for the build but I can't. My good friend built it. I do not know as far as the K frame what he did or used, the car was a 318 car. He used a B body ex manifold on the p/s and I think the d/s is a C body 440 if I recall? I could run the casting number to check tho. Sadly my buddy passed away several years ago unexpectedly and there is no real info or notes so to speak of what he did or how he built it. If there is anything you want pics of just let me know and I will try to get that for you!

i have just about finished installing power steering on my 69 Cuda 383 4 speed. i've used a Borgeson PS box and pump kit and also went with a Mopar licensed mini starter. i also have TTI long tube headers. if you get a OEM mopar power steering shaft/steering column, you do not have to cut the shaft to hook to the Borgeson box. if you only have the OEM mopar manual steering shaft which is exactly 3 1/2" longer than the OEM power steering shaft, you will have to cut 3 1/2" off of that shaft to fit on the Borgeson. Borgeson provides a universal joint with their kit which is required because the A body steering shaft/column is off-set from where the steering box connection is. here's some pics.

39.jpg

this one.jpg

103.jpg

82.jpg

58.jpg

67.jpg

I finished adapting a nissan cube electric power steering assist with a 16:1 manual steering box.
I pulled the power steering out mind you I still have the pump for the hydroboost system.
I believe by switching to electric I shaved off 25 lbs.
Now when I am ready to slide the low deck stroker in I can pickup some tti 2 1/8 headers that are suppose to fit.

-
Back