A body console wiring

-

Dart68gt

Reaction score
Okay need some help here, just finished converting the Son's 68 dart over from a column shift to a console everything is in and working, but where does the console wiring connect to? I have just run it over to the drivers side door under the kick panel for now, but it has a plug on the end and don't see anythiing to connect it to? Need some help on where it connects to under the dash or do I need to splice it in? Thanks Ben

The reverse lamp switch is on the steering column originally. Unplug that switch and plug in the colsoles shifter mounted switch. I dont recall where the shifter lamp tied in. Right side of ignition switch there somewhere I think. Orange wires.

Where is the "reverse lamp" located (unless you are referring to the backup lights in the bumper)?

Where is the "reverse lamp" located (unless you are referring to the backup lights in the bumper)?
OK backup lights. That switch moved to the trans at some year model. Your floor shifter may not have a switch on it. Good luck

That's what I thought you meant. Not trying to go "technical" on ya RedFish, just wanting to make sure there wasn't a lamp in the instrument cluster or elsewhere that I wasn't aware of. My son and I transplanted a 73 console and steering column to his 74 Duster, but we haven't gotten everything all wired up, either.

We also went to a 727 transmission for his rebuilt 360, and I understood that the neutral safety switch has the "reverse lamp" switch in it (as well as his slant six's 904). I didn't know the switch had earlier been located in the column. Makes sense, I guess. :sign7:

Just checking,
Jerry

OK so if the reverse lamp switch is on the trans you probably only have a indicater lamp and optional cigarette lighter wire going to the console.

Redfish thanks for the help, I have posted a pic showing the different connectors between the console wiring harness and my neutral safety switch. The black one is the neutral off the steering column and is a two plug with a purple and white wire. The console is a three prong with two purple's and orange and then a black ground seperate from the plug. Do you think this shifter and wiring is possible for a different model? Any suggestions

console1.jpg

I'm a bit confused here but the 70 and earlier shifters had a switch connected to the shifter body with a 2 prong plug that I believe works the back-up lights. The 71 and later shifters do not have this switch attached. It was incorporated off the neutral safety switch.

From your description of the harness you have, it is an early style. How about the shifter ?

Hope this helps.

I just dont know. I could get pictures of an earlier console harness and where its connected in a 68 . Nothing later here to reference. Good luck

The console is a three prong with two purple's and orange and then a black ground seperate from the plug. Do you think this shifter and wiring is possible for a different model? Any suggestions

The orange wire is for the console shift indicator light while the 2 purple wires is for the B/U light switch which would be mounted on the shifter. 65 A Bodies used the same type set-up

Thanks, I will pull the console tommorrow and post some pics of the shifter and wiring harness to see if this helps.

-
Back