A body flange to flange meaurement

-

roccodart440

Reaction score
I have a chance to get a Ford 9" with 4.10 gears complete for 150$ but it is 61" flange to flange. Is this too wide? I didn't buy wheels for the car yet.

A wheel with no dish all neg.? offset like a mustang wheel may work but you will need about 5 extra inches of backspace over a stock wheel.

not 51.40 no way no how. That's from the bogus POS chart that got published years ago.

A stock a body rear from wheel mount/mount surfaces is 57 1/8"

The housing itself is 52 5/8.

That ford rear is about 1" total wider than a 68-70 B body, 60 1/8", which gets used in A body cars quite a bit. They do need a bunch of neg offset as mentioned. Like a 8" wheel with 5.5" of backspace

not 51.40 no way no how. That's from the bogus POS chart that got published years ago.

A stock a body rear from wheel mount/mount surfaces is 57 1/8"

The housing itself is 52 5/8.

That ford rear is about 1" total wider than a 68-70 B body, 60 1/8", which gets used in A body cars quite a bit. They do need a bunch of neg offset as mentioned. Like a 8" wheel with 5.5" of backspace

thanks for clearing that up.

I wish that chart would just disappear. It's not only wrong on the A body, but the B body rear also. 62-70 B's are not the same length flange to flange through those years.

I should have known better because that would put the flange only 4 inches from center of the perches and I know thats not true.

Sweet, I'm going to buy this rear. I need to see what the bolt pattern is but I checked on Summit racing and there are tons of 8" wheels with 5.5" or more of backspacing.

I think the 51.4 dimention is for the 8 1/4 axle with the wider brakes that have more offset on the axle to make room for the bigger brakes. All stock 8 3/4 housings I have ever seen for A bodies were 52 5/8 and had 1 3/4 brakes.

-
Back