a few magnum swap questions

-

hbbuddha

Reaction score
I don't think a 74 Dart SE will ever be a real collectors car so I'm going to have fun with it. I'm pretty new to Mopar and I'm not sure about a lot of the little differences. (Like, what's the differences between the 2 door hardtop SE and the 1974 Dart Swinger?)

Anyway, my plan is to put carbed magnum 5.9 into it. Paint it and drive it. I already have a Professional Products air gap style intake that is drilled for both the LA and Magnum.

Are there years of magnums that are better then others? Are there heads I should be looking for?

I've read that the crank pully from the LA needs to be widened, how much? And how? Certain years have better motor mounts (spun?) What years have these mounts?

Thanks,
Hillbillybuddha

You can buy a Professional Products balanced,if running v belts & La style cover. Use LA pulleys. Run LA 360 motor mounts/brackets.About 97 on up,flex plate balance changes. 97 on up,was a balanced flex plate. (Run with a neutral balanced converter.( no weights on converter) 96 on back,run an B & M weighted flexplate. If using long tube headers,do yourself a favor. Use sn engine stand,mock up the headers. Some brands rub the truck engine mount bosses. If they hit,mask engine off & grind away. A good source for info : www.Magnumswap.com.

Allow me to hijack a second here....

If I have a 2000+ 5.9, and no flex plate, would a B&M 10242 do the trick?
It is listed for a '93-'99.

Allow me to hijack a second here....

If I have a 2000+ 5.9, and no flex plate, would a B&M 10242 do the trick?
It is listed for a '93-'99.
The change on flex plate weighting was 96-97. I have a Y2K 5.9in mine. (ran the stock flex plate ) The earlier (pre 96-7 ) 5.9 's had the weights on the torque converter,if I remember correctly. Running a neutral balanced converter & 727. I would send B & M an email.

-
Back