A Painful Lesson - How Not to Front Steer

-

396Cuda

Reaction score
While cleaning out a few things in the garage I came across these abominations. I hope no one owns a pair of these and I hope I never run into the guy who made them.

15915770835554861315410339579073.jpg

15915771244497744757022717850160.jpg

There has been lengthy argumen....................discussions on here about this very thing...............

Wow. :eek:

That was probably an attempt to actually fix some of Ackerman issues that result from flipping the ball joints to move the steering to the front.

And the pieces they machined are actually decent looking too. But those cold *** welds, geez! That’s some sketchy crap right there.

Looks like someone installed a front steer rack. We had to make a pitman arm for ths 4x4 satelite. Nothing wrong with welding suspension parts. But better welds are needed. Never weld a ball joint or any ball socket anymore they may have plastic cups in them.

My son machines welded spindles that are all welded together when made for super modifies. Tony has them squared to prevent brake drag.

4x4%20sat[1].jpg

Man we did some sketchy **** back in the day to jack our trucks up. Homemade drag links, pitman arms, king pin caps, tie rods etc, etc. Before there were "lift kits". Even in my worst days I would have said hell no to that welding butchery. Now, I may have taken a grinder to it and tried again, haha.
IDK. I've heard bad stuff happens when your turning and your front tires are going in different directions. I was mowing the grass this morning and noticed the Ackerman was jacked on my riding lawnmower. I had to laugh.

While the welding is a little suspect the rest of the fab work is ok.

I used to have to fab all sorts of steering links, brackets, spring buckets etc. when I started racing since the world was not full of the 1-800 and online sellers.

My Chevy friend would install lengthened Buick spindles on their Tri5 Chevys to get the front end up for weight transfer....take one spindle, cut out a 4" section then weld it onto another... And we were always told not to weld steering parts. B S.

The story behind these LBJ's relates to a fabricated K frame from a guy I recall named Richard of DARE Racing. It was a horrible experience and I lost some hard earned cash on that deal. I keep the K hanging on my wall to remind me to do better homework, do it myself, or stick with stock.

Nothing wrong with K-member modifications. Do it on the car or a unitized front upside down just for these mods. I can drop the pan easy in the car its lighter and replaced the strut rod bushings with hyme joints. Bearings held by snap rings instead of bushings in the arms.

Steve 120 - Copy.JPG

-
Back