A745 and A230 Transmissions

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the A745 and the A230 transmissions have the same bolt pattern where they bolt to the bellhousing? Thank you drive through.

I was under the impression they did not on account of dual pattern bellhousings I've seen which I THOUGHT at the time did not fit a 4 speed. NOW THIS COULD BE incorrect!!!

IIRC;the A230 and A833 share the same pattern.
IIRC: the A745, and A903 share a different pattern.

A230s are fully synchronized and can handle street-340s no problem.The A230 has at least two ratios to chose from, that I know of.

As you probably know, the others are not, and while it's not that horrible to downshift into first, it takes a knack for it, and is definitely not for a performance vehicle. Also, the synchronizers are pretty lo-po, with narrow brass rings and such. I have rebuilt many hundreds of them, but, IDK how well they would work or for how long, at higher rpms.
Not much help, I know.

IIRC;the A230 and A833 share the same pattern.
IIRC: the A745, and A903 share a different pattern.

A230s are fully synchronized and can handle street-340s no problem.The A230 has at least two ratios to chose from, that I know of.

As you probably know, the others are not, and while it's not that horrible to downshift into first, it takes a knack for it, and is definitely not for a performance vehicle. Also, the synchronizers are pretty lo-po, with narrow brass rings and such. I have rebuilt many hundreds of them, but, IDK how well they would work or for how long, at higher rpms.
Not much help, I know.
The A833 and A230 DO NOT share the same pattern. Although in some cases can use the same bell housing with both patterns present..Swingn’

Does anyone know if the A745 and the A230 transmissions have the same bolt pattern where they bolt to the bellhousing? Thank you drive through.
Just a guess here, Rob.
You found a bell housing for a big block, but it's in a truck?
I doubt very much if the bolt pattern is the same as a 230, but I'm not positive.
Same goes for the bearing retainer dimensions.
What I would do is to slip the 230 into the bell housing, mark the holes, and drill & tap your own if there is enough meat there to do so.
I would love to see what you come up with.........

-
Back