a833 help

-

moparsteel

Reaction score
so i bought a 1972 a833 on ebay for my 1970 duster.then i bought all the things needed to convert from 727.well today i found out its a 1976 and half of what i bought wont fit.:wack:

Send back what you got and get for the 76. It should be a 4 speed overdrive. That'll be good on gas.

what does not fit ? you can turn the bearing retainer O.D. down on a lathe and use allen head cap screws.

Ouch. So its an overdrive 833? Not a bad transmission, but they usually sell for about half of what a regular 833 costs (or less). I bought one of my 833 O/D's for $150. They sell pretty frequently in the $250 range.

Have you contacted the seller? Or eBay? Since the item was misrepresented you should have some kind of recourse. Especially since the value of the '76 transmission is about half of what a '72 is, that's not a minor misrepresentation.

Does it have a cast iron main case (which would make sense if it appeared to be an earlier trans)? If it does, measure the bearing retainer bolt pattern. There are two diameters of bolt circles for the bearing retainers, 3.70" and 4.16". If its an iron case and has a 3.70" bolt pattern on the bearing retainer you can just buy the bearing retainer to fit your bellhousing.

If it has a 4.16" bolt pattern you can still buy a bearing retainer with an outer diameter of 4.80" that will fit the O/D transmission, and if your bell is 4.35" you can just have it machined to 4.80. You can't turn the 5.125" bearing retainer down to 4.35" though. The bolt circle of most of the O/D transmissions (and all of the aluminum ones) is 4.16" on center, so that will only leave you .015" of bearing retainer after the bolt holes are drilled. That's not enough.

You can swap out the main case for a small front bearing case and use the right bearing retainer. Then get the OD shift arms and rods and that should do it.

-
Back