A833 O/D

-

RAT ROD AL

MOPAR ARCHAEOLOGIST - one parts hoard at a time!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok ,guys . I need some help with this trans. It has beat me up and has me baffled off and on for 2 days now. All I did was pull the side cover off to inspect the internals and cannot for the life of me get it back on to where it works correctly.
I put everything in neutral, get the cover down within an 1/8" by moving the spring loaded arms on the cover in place. Every thing rotates freely till I bolt it down tight, and it goes into a bind. What am I doing wrong?
@SGBARRACUDA

Last edited:
Isn't there a trick with the right rear corner has to be pushed up all the way as you tighten it?

Maybe the syncros are not exactly centered in neutral and the shift forks are binding one up? Is it possible a shift fork is bent?

Been awhile since I've screwd with one of these, but don't remember a problem as this.

Al are you installing the forks then installing the cover? Also the cover should go all the way down without having to tighten the bolts so something is binding up.

Al are you installing the forks then installing the cover? Also the cover should go all the way down without having to tighten the bolts so something is binding up.
Yes. and with a long screw driver I push the spring loaded arms on the cover into place and the cover drops down to within an 1/8". When I tighten the bolts it all binds up. like the forks are pushing on the syncros.

Yes. and with a long screw driver I push the spring loaded arms on the cover into place and the cover drops down to within an 1/8". When I tighten the bolts it all binds up. like the forks are pushing on the syncros.

I see don’t take offense but do you have the 1-2 and 3-4 forks right not reversed?

Ok thanks guys. For some reason it went together !!!
banana-weed.gif

Ok ,guys . I need some help with this trans. It has beat me up and has me baffled off and on for 2 days now. All I did was pull the side cover off to inspect the internals and cannot for the life of me get it back on to where it works correctly.
I put everything in neutral, get the cover down within an 1/8" by moving the spring loaded arms on the cover in place. Every thing rotates freely till I bolt it down tight, and it goes into a bind. What am I doing wrong?
@SGBARRACUDA
Al, what are you going to do with that tranny?
Are you going to sell it?
Just asking you know me.

Al, what are you going to do with that tranny?
Are you going to sell it?
Just asking you know me.
You know about the fragile od gear on that mainshaft right. You know me, just trying to look out for ya. I think IIRC it only has 20 or 21 teeth on it, so it don't take many footpounds to start the sheering process.

You know about the fragile od gear on that mainshaft right. You know me, just trying to look out for ya. I think IIRC it only has 20 or 21 teeth on it, so it don't take many footpounds to start the sheering process.
AJ thanks for having my back - anytime.
I had heard about A833 OD weak spots, was not sure where, when and how.
Does Passon still sell the high performance gear set for the A833 OD ?
I looked on his site and saw nothing.
There is an old Hot Rod article the conversion.

I ran that od box for a couple of years with my hi-torque 367, and did not like it until I added a GVod behind it and started splitting gears.
But more or less having to split gears all the time got old after a while.The gears are really far apart, too far for performance use.
They might be fine in a low-rpm engine
Plus I blew three of them up.
The ratios are
3.09-1.67-1.00-.73od , with splits of
.54-.60-.73
Meaning the rpm drops by those splits at each gear change. So fo my combo, and just cruising around I used to like to shift at around 2800. So the Rs would fall to 1510 and 1680, and the fragile od I would not use until I hit the hiway. So that meant, that my little 367 had to have some juice at those low rpms. I ended up trying all sorts of rear gears to get it to work, but was never happy.
At the other end, revving to 6000, the Rs drop to 3240 and 3600. Again that is a lotta rpm drop, and coming from a 2.66 box, this really killed my fun.
On the street, second gear is where it's at , and I like to gear my combo to run out of gear at around 60 mph. That takes a road-gear of between 7 and 8 for about 6000rpm.
With the 2.66 box and it's 1.92 second, that would be 4.10s, which then gives a starter gear of 10.91, and a second of 7.87 very nice..
With the od box, it likes 4.56s for a 7.62 second gear. But with 4.56s the starter gear becomes an outrageous 14.08
See what I mean?
I ran 4.30s one summer splitting gears, and double over was 2.38. But like I said there was never a proper second gear.
Eventually, I bought a Commando box , ran it thru the GVod,with 3.55s.
the road ratios are ;
10.97- 6.82-4.97-3.55-2.77
But I don't use second at WOT. Instead I split it for a first-over of 8.56; badaboom; 60=6530
and the run to 93mph for the Eighth is split twice with just one pull on the stick. The road ratios are ;
10.97-8.56-6.82-5.32 ,
and 93=6150,
and 65 in od is 2240..
Now with your much bigger engine, you would have to work out your own ratios. But I found this platform very versatile.
When I head out on the highway; I split third, and go directly to 4-over like so;
3.09-1.92-1.40-1.09-.78 .. That gives me progressive gears, a short Forth, and a deep od.. the splits are
.62-.73-.78-.72od
Fun with numbers. I have been running this final combo since 2004/5ish

-
Back