A833 to Bellhousing bolt torque?

-

Go Mango

Never enough beer...
Reaction score
Just got the 4 speed back in my Dart.
Anyone know what to torque the 4 bolts (transmission to bellhousing)?
1970 Dart Swinger 340.

I don't.
I just pull until my wrist says stop,lol.
I think it's 50ftlbs, but I've never torqued mine, cuz IDK if on the end of a 2ft 1/2drive extension, and a Universal-joint, if 50 is still 50, or if most of it just went to twisting the extension.

I don't.
I just pull until my wrist says stop,lol.
I think it's 50ftlbs
I like the way you think! But usually when I do that, its either stripped threads or broken bolts!
My last name is Murphy, and the famous law definitely applies to anything I touch.

Blue Locktite and a couple hard taps with a 1/2 drive impact.

Blue Locktite and a couple hard taps with a 1/2 drive impact.

Some impacts can put out a butt load of torque . You probably have a feel for yours but many wont . I would just recommend a good snug with an open end or to under 35 ft-lbs with Torque Wrench . An intake is 25 using same bolts .

Some impacts can put out a butt load of torque . You probably have a feel for yours but many wont . I would just recommend a good snug with an open end or to under 35 ft-lbs with Torque Wrench . An intake is 25 using same bolts .
I agree with using your arm as the torque wrench. I have broken a bell bolt trying to be within spec. 50 is a lot. Navy torque it and get in the habit of checking after shakedown.

$0.02

That was way back in July, and I don’t remember what I ended up torquing them at. I came up with something somehow, and probably should have written it down. And unless I’m misunderstanding mbaird, he’s saying 35, because they’re the same bolts as an intake, which are 25. That is incorrect, because these are the four 1/2”-13 bolts. Not 3/8 like an intake.

That was way back in July, and I don’t remember what I ended up torquing them at. I came up with something somehow, and probably should have written it down. And unless I’m misunderstanding mbaird, he’s saying 35, because they’re the same bolts as an intake, which are 25. That is incorrect, because these are the four 1/2”-13 bolts. Not 3/8 like an intake.

Hmmm... unless I am having a senior moment I am pretty sure I use a 9/16" wrench on both my intake and bellhousing . Unless you are referring to the lower 2 and starter mounting bolts. I think 273s used smaller intake bolts ? But its been a while since I messed with one .

Hmmm... unless I am having a senior moment I am pretty sure I use a 9/16" wrench on both my intake and bellhousing . Unless you are referring to the lower 2 and starter mounting bolts. I think 273s used smaller intake bolts ? But its been a while since I messed with one .
It’s the 4 bolts that bolt the tranny to the bell housing. 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom. Mine are very definitely 1/2-13.

It’s the 4 bolts that bolt the tranny to the bell housing. 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom. Mine are very definitely 1/2-13.

Oh ... trany to bell housing . My bad . Then you are correct . And they can take more than 35 ft-lbs

I’ll look tomorrow and see if I documented what I torqued them to and where I found the info.

-
Back