a904 to 727 swap help!

-

john_the_great

Reaction score
I blew up my a 904 automatic in 74 duster and am looking for a replacement 727 or 904. Is the 727 a bolt in? What are the different tailshaft lengths? Does anyone know a supplier where I can purchase either a 727 or 904 to replace the one in my duster. I'm looking for a fairly sturdy transmission that will allow to me to build a gnarly motor then my current stock 360. Thanks for the help.

Seems the general census with a small block A-body is to rebuild the 904. There's enough good parts now to make them last. They're smaller, lighter & use less hp. Plus you won't have to change your driveshaft.

There's only one "long" tailshaft length for a 727, but the slip yoke is different, and you'll have to have a shaft made or yours shortened.

Make sure IF you have a console, that the 727 has the cast-in mount underneath for the shifter linkage. You can look at your 904 to see what it looks like.

You'll need a different torque converter, 904/727 do not interchange. I BELIEVE there were two different input splines over the years on 727, and be sure you don't get a "lockup."

Don't know if the kickdown pivot mount is different --mine has a broken stud, and I don't use kickdown, as I use a manual shift body.

seems the general census with a small block a-body is to rebuild the 904. There's enough good parts now to make them last. They're smaller, lighter & use less hp. Plus you won't have to change your driveshaft.
x2

-
Back