a904 whine noise

-

joshua dewitt

Reaction score
i recently rebuilt my a904 with all the performance goodies... I have a whine when in operation changes pitch with rpms,, , now, I know that is classic pump or converter whine, does in all gears,,, ie pump... but question... I have a PTC converter that was made for the combination. and blocked trans pump vent, and relocated to top and rear of case... as per tech articles on line here. I also have a a&a deep pan kit with there dropped p/up kit with o ring. modified valve body with TF-2 shift kit.... and the pump and everything specked out... no major wear visually seen either. don't recall it making any whine noise before I went thought it, just slipped real bad,, burnt bands, now that all this has been done, wondering if any of the modifications I have done may be causing the noise? I don't mind the noise,sounds pretty cool ,like a gear drive, just concerned if causing excessive wear in something... this is a fresh build no miles on it, does appear to shift ok. also have and external cooler plumbed into the radiator cooler as well with a spin on filter kit, before going back to transmission, k&n filter equivalent to ph8a..., spoke with Lynn at PTC and agreed it is not nraml and could be the converter, or the modifications to the valve body raising the pressure making noise.. any thoughts out there?

I'm not a trans guru bully any means, but that does sound like pump noise to me. When I swapped to my 200r4 it had a fair amount of pump noise and it sounded WAY worse because I had the case of the trans hitting the floor in one place that made the noise transfer inside really bad. It decreased quite a bit when I clearanced the floor. Any chance with the vent stuff and cooler/filter stuff you added you've got interference some place?

Just a thought

If you changed any planetary gears that could do it, but I didn't see where you said the thing only does it when rolling or anything.
If it only does it when rolling then it's a gear noise, but if it does it any time the engine is running it probably has more to do with the pump, converter or pressure regulator valve.
PR valves can buzz, but it usually comes and goes with different speeds and being in different gears.

If it does it only in some gears but not all it's going to be a gear mesh issue, and if it does it all the time when the motor is running no matter what speed or gear you are in it's going to be pump or converter.

The deal with a gear mesh whine usually comes from replacing one or more of the gears of a planetary set and still having some of the old ones in it, as they don't quite match running surfaces.
These whines can get better as time goes on.

They can also make whining noises if low on fluid and/or sucking air around the filter.

well I does it in park or neutral, unless its form the filter sucking air, it has to be pump or converter... havn't driven it yet,,,, I think sound awesome like a blower under hood, but im thinking it will grenade if left that way...

-
Back