? about starter motor with tti

-
If you have a stock starter I doubt you would be able to install it after the header is in place and it goes without saying that it won't come out again without removing the header. I strongly suggest a mini starter as it should come out without too much difficulty with header in place. I'm not sure about Dusters though so I could be wrong.

Is it possible to install tti headers with starter already installed or does it need to come out?

I just installed my drivers side TTI yesterday. I doubt you could get it through with the starter in place. The mini starter wasn't hard to reinstall.

I followed the instructions and things went pretty smoothly except trying to put the #7 tube back in. It was easy to take out because you can twist it when on the ground. Getting it back in was a whole different process. I still had studs on the ends when I started, and my gasket got pretty beat up. Still, better than the head surface getting beat. Also, watch your dist (if you have a SB), I had to jack up the one side of the engine more than 1.5" (as per the instructions), and the dist started to hit the firewall/wiper motor, I had to take off the 5 & 7 wires. I have the spool motor mounts, not sure if this makes a difference or not.

The instructions say to grease lightly to reinstall the tube. I wouldn't scrimp here. After I got it stuck about half way in, I ended up using PB Blaster (penetrating oil), a heat gun, and a rubber mallet to finally get it seated. It was my first time installing headers, so I'm sure someone with more experience would have had an easier time.

BTW, I ended up taking out the studs and used the bolts provided by TTI for all the holes. It fits nicely, except the starter is practically touching the tubes. I am going to make a post with pics later to see what others think of the clearance, but it was easy to install.

Now to go put in the passenger side.

EDIT: I have power steering, with manual, you may have more space.

-
Back