AC guinea pig...

-
She still won't get in the car after racing that Honda! LOL... Right now it's the passenger seat belt that rolls in and out with no stop LOL she says not until I fix the seat belt...
that wasn't the Honda that beat ya, was it???? :realcrazy:
LOL ... When I was newly wed, I raced a motorcycle with my 340 Demon. She thought we'd lost the brakes and was going to die as I was working the brake pedal (drum brakes). She loves old cars and even the dragway but doesn't care to be in the car during races

Last edited:
that wasn't the Honda that beat ya, was it???? :realcrazy:
LOL ... When I was newly wed, I raced a motorcycle with my 340 Demon. She thought we'd lost the brakes and was going to die as I was working the brake pedal (drum brakes). She loves old cars and even the dragway but doesn't care to be in the car during races
You will forever twist the truth to suit your story LOL again LOL..
The Honda that beat me? Now if I don't reboot this remark people will actually believe that happened...

I got the snappy looking alternator today... The 95 powermaster..
Installed it and was very impressed with its looks. I got it all in and went to meet a friend at a small car show. I got the car out onto the street and was just warming it up and all the sudden it felt like it ran out of gas. I tried starting it again it started for a second and shut off. I had immediate suspicion of the fuel pump. I turn the electrical switch on with everything off and I heard nothing. it's not loud but with everything off I can hear it and I didn't. check the electricity at the pump and there was nothing with the switch on. So I thought it was a fuse...
I didn't think I'd have to do this so soon but I had to pull the passenger seat which was just four half inch nuts and pull the evaporator down off the dash. Got under there and it wasn't the fuse LOL, but I'm glad I went through the process cuz that's why I left extra hose under there to be able to drop the evaporator easily and get it out of the way for all the fuses that are under there. That's only three nuts the one on each side and the one on the back. So with that 3/8 wrench it dropped within just a minute or two..
Then I started tracing the wires back from the fuel pump and sure enough the first male female collection under the alternator LOL I'm pulled apart and I just snapped it back in and re-taped it up. so apparently when I change the alternator dropped it on that connection and pulled it apart...
IMG_20200728_162958.jpg
IMG_20200728_172823.jpg

I've got to give this AC unit I better chance. I did take it for a drive today and it stayed between 47 and 50 coming out.
The cabin stayed comfortable and it was doing its job but by no means did I have to turn it off and start feeling like I had to turn it down because I was getting too cold.
Problem number one is the vents do not blow on me they blow on the passenger seat. I ordered some vents for it and hopefully they'll be here in a day or two and I can try that.
Problem number two is way too many holes in the firewall. The matter of fact I can see daylight all over the place coming from the wheel well where I ran the hoses and wires through. That's just about the spot where one of the fans is sucking air to go into the AC. I've got to give this a better chance...
So maybe I'll get some kind of silicon and try and steal some of that stuff up. I don't want to get crazy with Dino mad or anything like that cuz it's once you put it down it ain't coming back up.. seeing as how I don't have the car painted yet I don't want to start doing permanent things...
I'm planning on changing shifters which means at least taking the driver's seat out and the floor hub in the front carpet has to peel back. maybe I'll just take the passenger seat out as well and take the front carpet peace out and see what I can do to pad things up on the firewall..

Does yours have vent doors? The foam was gone off mine and they leaked air like crazy.
Okay now I really feel like a bonehead! I stuck my flashlight up there right up into that big 6 inch hole and set it up inside of it and got out on the driver side and looked in the cowl vent and I could see the flashlight! It was definitely a "holy dumbass moment"... So yes I got hot outside air pouring in the cowl and dumping right down on the inlet of my AC evaporator...
B9909D2D-106A-4A23-9C05-3386985334E3.jpeg

So as I've admitted I ordered an evaporator for a different idea. Ended up putting it under the dash as I've already said. And Showed... Now it's all for open directly at the passenger seat I need to add directional vents..
As you can see by the pictures the vents were the same exact size as the protruding circles. I could use a coupler but then they would stick out like three wishes and look ridiculous.. so I took the cover off of the evaporator and do the trial fitting on one of them. I cut it down within a quarter inch of the adjuster and cut out the circle using a coping saw and the outer of the factory ring as a guide...
Now I just need to glue it and from the back side.. hopefully I can just take my time and make it look right and not cheesy...
IMG_20200731_171113.jpg
IMG_20200731_171134.jpg
IMG_20200731_171145.jpg

Last edited:
I would throw some duck tape over the holes, I know about heat, just the little top plate is missing off my shifter boot, and the heat coming up from there is intense.

Okay now I really feel like a bonehead! I stuck my flashlight up there right up into that big 6 inch hole and set it up inside of it and got out on the driver side and looked in the cowl vent and I could see the flashlight! It was definitely a "holy dumbass moment"... So yes I got hot outside air pouring in the cowl and dumping right down on the inlet of my AC evaporator...
View attachment 1715569826 ...

Been there, done that....

Haven’t seen a coping saw in years. Think most of my saws got thrown away in favor of ones with motors on them.
I showed my wife what I was doing and told her yes I'm just using this coping saw and she never even heard of that...

In conclusion I feel the Coldmaster set up is not only economical, but damn good phone support... After plugging the 6in round hole blowing hot air onto the evaporator now I seem to be very cold in the cab. So much so I had to turn it down as my fingers and arms were starting to get cold... Having directional vents blowing the wind on me help tremendously as well but I can see the temperatures were between 37 and 42 the whole time I was driving...
I'm well impressed with what I have and feel I got one hell of a bang for the buck..
IMG_20200802_131400.jpg

Also I took my six foot two friend for short drive and he had plenty of room for comfort in the front seat...

Thank you for this write up!
I'm going back to page 1 and adding it to my bookmarks!
Then I'm re-reading it!

Jeff

So I have a few afterthought notes here as there was things that I was curious about that I didn't quite learn till after I got the kit...
I'm sure there's plenty online but I wasn't quite sure exactly how all the hoses were routed by their sizes. At least I didn't have a picture of it to go by until I got the instructions. Like knowing the number 10 line was this big return line from the evaporator to the compressor and knowing the number eight line was the shorter line going from the compressor out to the condenser which has to be oriented so the number eight line is at the top. Then last the number 6 line that went from the condenser to the evaporator. And knowing I could put the dryer anywhere along that number 6 line that was convenient. And that it had to be oriented top up.. and a very important point that it had an inlet and an outlet...
And it was nice knowing after calling and asking that now even though it doesn't say it has a harness kit in it all kits now have a wiring harness with relay and it's pretty much marked for plug-and-play... Also even in my case with a custom build there was more than enough wire that I did not have to splice in any extra and it's all encased in a corrugated tubing for protection. As a matter of fact in one spot I had to kind of coil it up and zip tie it down as there was too much...
IMG_20200804_205517.jpg
IMG_20200804_205617.jpg

SO then you're callin it a success? Looks that way to me.

-
Back