AC guinea pig...

-
I'm using the loop carpet but I don't care for it probably one of the things I'll do this winter is get the plush... It's hard to clean and it gets runs in it and the plush looks well plush...

is it the 80/20 loop or the nylon? yeah the plush looks nice and soft

Well first month update and everything seems to be working perfectly. I didn't drive the car for a couple weeks and I always wonder if things will leak out or what will happen when I do use it again..
I went for a ride to a customer's house about 20 miles away through City and highway. Had the windows down on the way there it was a nice cool morning. Took him for a danger ride LOL.. again windows open no need for AC. on the way home I took the freeway most of the way but just when I got off the freeway and had to do the last 15 minutes of City driving. The car got extremely hot inside. Probably well warmed up from the freeway. I rolled the passenger window up kick on the AC and rolled up the driver's window. Nice and cool the rest of the way home...

Great job on being the Guinea pig. I should have waited before I got my setup. I showed a friend your post (told him not to worry about anything past the first 3 pages):poke: He wants a unit for his 64 Plymouth 426 wedge car. He’s been drag racing it since he bought it new. Now he just wants to go to car show and drive it.

Great job on being the Guinea pig. I should have waited before I got my setup. I showed a friend your post (told him not to worry about anything past the first 3 pages):poke: He wants a unit for his 64 Plymouth 426 wedge car. He’s been drag racing it since he bought it new. Now he just wants to go to car show and drive it.
Oh I don't blame you for the rest of the rhetoric LOL.. you know I started so I've got to be able to take it. On a serious note though if your friend has any questions just PM me.... Or bring them up right here because this is one of those threads that needs not be lost come next spring when everybody starts thinking about it again...

Yes It definitely doesn’t need to get lost. We need to know there are more than 2 AC companies out there with proof it works.

Yes I definitely doesn’t need to get lost. We need to know there are more than 2 AC companies out there with proof it works.
For less than half as much!.. and in my case I would say about one-third...
Now for those who are trying to do an exact OE restoration this isn't for them...

For less than half as much!.. and in my case I would say about one-third...
Now for those who are trying to do an exact OE restoration this isn't for them...
No, but for mine it would have been perfect. I cold have rebuilt my heater and just added AC. But it’s in now and I can drive my car when it’s 100 outside for 3 months and enjoy it.

@j par why did you pick the biggest system they show? Seems like an awful lot of AC for a Duster, or does your beast just run that hot?

@j par why did you pick the biggest system they show? Seems like an awful lot of AC for a Duster, or does your beast just run that hot?
I originally planned to put it on the back of my fold-down rear-seat. I bought enough line to plum it all the way in to the back and my idea was going to be the fold down the seat can have the AC kick forward.. so the physical size of the actual evaporator didn't matter that much.. but when I did talk to Omar and told him that I didn't have much if any insulation in the car he suggested definitely the larger unit which I'm happy I went with. I did end up putting it under the dash which wasn't as intrusive as I thought it would be. It actually sucks the hot air that is generated at the firewall up and turns it into cold.. I continue to be extremely happy with the unit and can hardly wait for the hot days of this coming summer...

Also something largely opposite between a home AC and a car AC. While an 8000 BTU unit can cool off an entire room of your house it's only got to go from maybe 80 85 degrees down to 70 degrees in an insulated room with plenty of time to do it and easy to maintain... While in a car that can get up to 130 degrees with near-zero insulation surrounded by windows and you wanted to be cooled down by let's say the time you started and get down to the next corner LOL ... You want something that really kicks out good...

jpar, this is a GREAT writeup! You have inspired me to maybe give this a shot because here in the south, i literally dont even look at my car for 5 months out of the year because of the extreme heat and humidity. Mine is a dart that originally had AC but like you, i dont want the compressor up on the top and especially not that monster original compressor. I have a few questions on this. As far as the evaporator, imguessing it also has the blower motor built right into the evaporator box, all self contained? Also, i would just run the lines inside the engine compartment but not sure where to have them come through the firewall as i would not want to cut new holes through it..any ideas there? Wonder if i could remove the factory evaporator from the heater box and run the hoses through the holes where the original evap lines stuck out? Of course then i would have to cut holes through the heater box inside the car to let the lines come out of it to connect to the evaporator. My only problem would be making the compressor bracket. Mine is a big block in a dart with no power steering and i also would want the compressor in the same spot you have yours in.

This thread should really be a sticky.
I could think of about a 1/2 dozen threads that should be a sticky but I am me....
Building a solid headliner from scratch...
Building a D 60 on the cheap...
Rebuilding automatic transmissions and stick shift transmissions...
Installation of a clutch tamer...
Installing nitrous from scratch the correct way...
( Not just throwing a bottle in the trunk...)
I sincerely appreciate your vote of confidence. But after 10 years of doing everything I can imagine to my A-body Mopar and it hasn't happened yet, it's not likely to happen in the future...

jpar, this is a GREAT writeup! You have inspired me to maybe give this a shot because here in the south, i literally dont even look at my car for 5 months out of the year because of the extreme heat and humidity. Mine is a dart that originally had AC but like you, i dont want the compressor up on the top and especially not that monster original compressor. I have a few questions on this. As far as the evaporator, imguessing it also has the blower motor built right into the evaporator box, all self contained? Also, i would just run the lines inside the engine compartment but not sure where to have them come through the firewall as i would not want to cut new holes through it..any ideas there? Wonder if i could remove the factory evaporator from the heater box and run the hoses through the holes where the original evap lines stuck out? Of course then i would have to cut holes through the heater box inside the car to let the lines come out of it to connect to the evaporator. My only problem would be making the compressor bracket. Mine is a big block in a dart with no power steering and i also would want the compressor in the same spot you have yours in.
Somehow I didn't catch this comment but if you were to use the Generic brackets and attach them to a compressor in the mid adjustment range.... Attach brackets in the power steering pump position. Maybe having to trim some off of either one of the brackets and/or space them correctly to get the pullys to lineup... I've even thought of maybe one of the chevy style compressors that's more fatter and shallow..
 Also, now I'm seeing a Mini compressor that takes up quite a bit less room...
I was actually able to use vice grips and clamp everything together.
And unbolt it and drill it out and put bolts through everything and remock it up. And then I just finally took my cheap Harbor freight fluxwire welder and weld it up...

I could think of about a 1/2 dozen threads that should be a sticky but I am me....
Building a solid headliner from scratch...
Building a D 60 on the cheap...
Rebuilding automatic transmissions and stick shift transmissions...
Installation of a clutch tamer...
Installing nitrous from scratch the correct way...
( Not just throwing a bottle in the trunk...)
I sincerely appreciate your vote of confidence. But after 10 years of doing everything I can imagine to my A-body Mopar and it hasn't happened yet, it's not likely to happen in the future...
Did you ever sell your Duster?

Naa... It's just sitting in the costco tent next to the house...
Ahh, I see it is being as useful as mine, sitting in a rented storage building for the last two years............

Need to drive it!

And again, THANK YOU @j par for this thread!

I just wish I could buy a copy of your compressor bracket.

-
Back