AC guinea pig...

-
yes I looked at the pictures and it was partially done I believe and it had a mass variety of other bracket tree going on with power steering and other things. This is just going to be more of a singular bracket for non power steering.. kind of a hot rodders down and dirty AC...
it's not going to be real fancy connected to all the vents and hidden in the car. It may hang down from the passenger side and just blow out... A simple on-off switch and a simple Hi-Lo off blower switch.. with a crap ton of BTUs to cool a un-insulated car...
Like the dealer installed Chrysler air in my Swinger. It will darned near put ice on your beer sitting on the front seat.

Found Denny's thread. If he can make brackets for Hemi's he can make them for wedge and small blocks. Sandin A/C and compact P/S pump brackets
Yes if you read back that's exactly how I planned to try and make my own bracket. Using the attachment points from the opposite side of the alternator on the water pump and down on the timing cover where the original power steering brackets would have came from..

The under dash unit in the kit you posted looks like the one Vintage Air has available.

vintage air.jpg

Like the dealer installed Chrysler air in my Swinger. It will darned near put ice on your beer sitting on the front seat.
With enough air through the condenser I can get it to cool in the low to mid 30° range.

20150706_141853.jpg

20150716_192752.jpg

20150719_163339.jpg

:rofl: LOL you claim to be old school. lol :rolleyes:
old school AC consists of a fan and an ice cube tray. lol

Okay I called just a little after 7 my time here on this Pacific coast. Of course I'm calling Tampa Florida 3 hours later. No answer just a message machine. So I tried another 20 minutes later and the same gentleman that I talked to you last time answered and talk to me. He went through the different selections or sub selections of the kind that I was looking at and he suggested the last time I talked to him. I talked to him about longer hoses and maybe coupling another hose if I needed to go longer. He said at no extra charge if I needed an extra 2 or 3 ft it would be better to have it all is one hose as having less connections to cause a leak. He said if I wanted to go longer than that it would be like $3 per foot which I considered more than reasonable. He answered all of my questions and gave extra advice. When I went on to talk about how I added a little bit of freon to my truck yesterday he gave even more advice on checking certain things and was quite liberal with his time and helping me out to understand how the systems work.... so now this is the second time I've called this place and every time it builds my confidence even more... He said they sell probably around 10 of these kits per day all over the world and they're guaranteed for a year....

Okay I called just a little after 7 my time here on this Pacific coast. Of course I'm calling Tampa Florida 3 hours later. No answer just a message machine. So I tried another 20 minutes later and the same gentleman that I talked to you last time answered and talk to me. He went through the different selections or sub selections of the kind that I was looking at and he suggested the last time I talked to him. I talked to him about longer hoses and maybe coupling another hose if I needed to go longer. He said at no extra charge if I needed an extra 2 or 3 ft it would be better to have it all is one hose as having less connections to cause a leak. He said if I wanted to go longer than that it would be like $3 per foot which I considered more than reasonable. He answered all of my questions and gave extra advice. When I went on to talk about how I added a little bit of freon to my truck yesterday he gave even more advice on checking certain things and was quite liberal with his time and helping me out to understand how the systems work.... so now this is the second time I've called this place and every time it builds my confidence even more... He said they sell probably around 10 of these kits per day all over the world and they're guaranteed for a year....
Wow, customer service. That's a novel idea!

Okay getting closer to pulling the trigger. I've done a rough measurement of the hoses that I need and 1 hose I'll need to be 9ft instead of 8 and the other hoes I'll need to be 11ft instead of 9...
I want to install the unit on the floorboard behind the driver's seat. I have the nitrous bottle behind the passenger seat. And 6 years no one has sat in the backseat. the only reason I have it in there again is because it's reupholstered and looks nice... I'll likely put the controls by the dashboard. If I have four tubes I want one just open going under the driver's seat then two coming up one by the right drivers elbow and left passenger elbow between the seats. And the last one just shooting up underneath the passenger seat forward... I'll try to have it drain underneath and more to the center of the car as not to get any water under the back tires...

Okay getting closer to pulling the trigger. I've done a rough measurement of the hoses that I need and 1 hose I'll need to be 9ft instead of 8 and the other (((((hoes)))))) I'll need to be 11ft instead of 9...
I want to install the unit on the floorboard behind the driver's seat. I have the nitrous bottle behind the passenger seat. And 6 years no one has sat in the backseat. the only reason I have it in there again is because it's reupholstered and looks nice... I'll likely put the controls by the dashboard. If I have four tubes I want one just open going under the driver's seat then two coming up one by the right drivers elbow and left passenger elbow between the seats. And the last one just shooting up underneath the passenger seat forward... I'll try to have it drain underneath and more to the center of the car as not to get any water under the back tires...

Who you callin' a HOE?
:poke::rofl:

So I got a small windfall from that blasted truck and I've been trying to sell, witch is bringing me closer to pulling the trigger...
I have determined that behind the driver's seat there's just not enough room.
So my latest and greatest idea since I have a fold down rear seat and I built a firewall back there I have a large gap between the back of the back seat and the firewall. I'm thinking I will mount the evaporator to the back of the back seat and fold It down for you and folded up and hidden when not in use...I'll need some pretty long lines for that but like they said it's only an extra $3 per foot..
I'll probably just still go with the four open holes and connect hoses to them to run around remotely if need be or if it just blast out nice and cold that will be fine...
I'll probably put the controls up front...
I do want to make my own brackets for the compressor but I was looking at these to give me a good jump start??..
Screenshot_20200628-080851.png

It says the condenser fan draws 6 amps which ain't nothing and I can only imagine the blower inside the interior isn't going to be a high amp deal either..
All those little "nothing" loads add up quick.
Remember that stock alternator puts out almost nothing at low rpm's where you need it the most
I hate cruz'n around with one eye on the volt meter.

All those little "nothing" loads add up quick.
Remember that stock alternator puts out almost nothing at low rpm's where you need it the most
I hate cruz'n around with one eye on the volt meter.
That's why I was thinking ahead when I bought the yellow top optima last week. I have a threat on that..
I looked into a higher amp alternator but they don't kick out any higher amps until you're up to higher RPMs...

That's why I was thinking ahead when I bought the yellow top optima last week. I have a threat on that..
I looked into a higher amp alternator but they don't kick out any higher amps until you're up to higher RPMs...
I like optima batteries, but sooner or later they too run out of power if you dont have enough alternator.

... I do want to make my own brackets for the compressor but I was looking at these to give me a good jump start??..
I bought those "fab your own Sanden brackets" and made a custom bracket for my slant-six engine. I mounted it where a power steering pump bracket would sit (my 1964 Valiant is manual steering). A lot of work. For the base, I welded house bracing metal from Home Depot. For those w/ a slant, search for the long post about compressor bracket options. For a V-8, I would buy the store-bought Sanden brackets (BPE and others).

I’m curious, if you mount the evaporator that far back, will you get enough cold air up front?

I bought those "fab your own Sanden brackets" and made a custom bracket for my slant-six engine. I mounted it where a power steering pump bracket would sit (my 1964 Valiant is manual steering). A lot of work. For the base, I welded house bracing metal from Home Depot. For those w/ a slant, search for the long post about compressor bracket options. For a V-8, I would buy the store-bought Sanden brackets (BPE and others).
Of course on my V8 I want to mount it in the power steering area. All of the aftermarket stuff I see wants to put it in the original spot for AC up on top of the motor which definitely will not satisfy me... My idea as of now is to get those brackets and bolt them to the compressor and get the power steering brackets without the pump and mount those to the engine. Then in some fashion weld the two together to make one. Tack them into place down on the engine and then weld them up grind them and paint them... I'm really looking forward to having it down low and out of the way. Again making it able to pop the belt off the front of the pulley when I don't need it.. having both the lines going straight out the fender wall on the driver side and tucked up out of the way and un-noticed...

-
Back