AC guinea pig...

-
I’m curious, if you mount the evaporator that far back, will you get enough cold air up front?
Here let me take a couple pictures and maybe a visual give you a better idea of what I'm talking about and I'll explain more...

IMG_20200628_181118.jpg

Okay to give this some visual effect you can see the big area behind the back seat of the "space duster"... Also I build a firewall there which will help to keep the cool air in the cabin... Instead of a wide open area into the trunk which of course would have a door at the other end if it was all back in there...
Anyways you can see I can fold it up and it's going to have rubber hoses and wires that can articulate. I can put the seat down and I put a tool bag there to simulate the evaporator and a header tube to simulate one of the four tubes that will come out of the front.. and of course they'll be short little tubes that will come out of the front of the evaporator and I can connect corrugated tubes to a couple of them and let them flop behind the back seat when not in use and when in use I can run them up along the between the seats and let them dump out onto the front floorboards...
IMG_20200628_181303.jpg

I have a ton of room down here in the power steering pump area and again I want to run the tubes or the lines straight out the side where the line lock solenoid it is now..
IMG_20200628_181448.jpg

I'm looking for people to poke holes on my plan so it doesn't blow up in my face...

Of course on my V8 I want to mount it in the power steering area. All of the aftermarket stuff I see wants to put it in the original spot for AC up on top of the motor which definitely will not satisfy me... My idea as of now is to get those brackets and bolt them to the compressor and get the power steering brackets without the pump and mount those to the engine. Then in some fashion weld the two together to make one. Tack them into place down on the engine and then weld them up grind them and paint them... I'm really looking forward to having it down low and out of the way. Again making it able to pop the belt off the front of the pulley when I don't need it.. having both the lines going straight out the fender wall on the driver side and tucked up out of the way and un-noticed...
Check out this thread from HemiDenny
Sandin A/C and compact P/S pump brackets

Check out this thread from HemiDenny
Sandin A/C and compact P/S pump brackets
yes if you look through the thread this has been quoted a couple times already. And I've commented on it as well.
that is kind of what I'm looking to do as that's probably the only picture on the entire internet showing the compressor in that position... It very much looks like he has a vast fabrication arsenal at his disposal... Mine will be a tad more hillbilly LOL...

a lot of cars come with rear air now a days :thumbsup: but you're in oregon, what's it get upto 85', 86' on a bad day? :rolleyes:

come down here in early september, you'll never think it's hot there again
I live down there for a couple years when I was a kid in the San Fernando valley I went to sepulveda Junior high...
I visited my dad in January and was washing his car without my shirt on.
Without being rude you can say I'm not a fan of southern California...

I guess what do you see going wrong?..
Drive belt alignment
A/C pulley belt contact patch, may need to use an idler in the system.
Routing those long *** A/C hoses
Cold air flow coming from the rear to the front of the cabin
Amperage requirements
It's like prototyping a complete A/C system, that's tough from any angle.

Drive belt alignment
A/C pulley belt contact patch, may need to use an idler in the system.
Routing those long *** A/C hoses
Cold air flow coming from the rear to the front of the cabin
Amperage requirements
It's like prototyping a complete A/C system, that's tough from any angle.
I'll try and tackle this one at a time here..
I should have at least a complete half circle as I'm going to use the front pulley on the drive pulley just likethe power steering gets as I'm putting it in the power steering location. Not like the Factory location where it just got a quarter contact...
Running the hoses inside the driver's fender like I have a lot of my electrical coming in behind the dash running down under the carpet by the high beam switch and under the carpet along the driver side between the seat and door jamb under the rear seat and pop out behind the rear seat..
I covered how the air should be able to get into the front of the cabin as it's going to be blowing right on my right elbow in post 52..
also I'm very confident I have plenty of amperage I have at least 63 from the alternator and all I'm running is a few lit gauges the fuel pump and MSD and the fan which probably add up to about 30..
Honestly I don't really see the AC drawing over 20...
anything else anybody can think of would love to hear it as I've done at least a half-a-dozen crazy things like this to my car and I always post threads asking questions long before I purchase anything and then inevitably get 20 people telling I told you so about things that was never mentioned....

Sounds very unique. Will be interesting to see how it turns out. Whenever someone tells me something can’t be done, it only spurs me on that much more....

I'll try and tackle this one at a time here..
I should have at least a complete half circle as I'm going to use the front pulley on the drive pulley just likethe power steering gets as I'm putting it in the power steering location. Not like the Factory location where it just got a quarter contact...
Running the hoses inside the driver's fender like I have a lot of my electrical coming in behind the dash running down under the carpet by the high beam switch and under the carpet along the driver side between the seat and door jamb under the rear seat and pop out behind the rear seat..
I covered how the air should be able to get into the front of the cabin as it's going to be blowing right on my right elbow in post 52..
also I'm very confident I have plenty of amperage I have at least 63 from the alternator and all I'm running is a few lit gauges the fuel pump and MSD and the fan which probably add up to about 30..
Honestly I don't really see the AC drawing over 20...
anything else anybody can think of would love to hear it as I've done at least a half-a-dozen crazy things like this to my car and I always post threads asking questions long before I purchase anything and then inevitably get 20 people telling I told you so about things that was never mentioned....
Last famous words by Someone?
"It all looks good on paper"

Sounds very unique. Will be interesting to see how it turns out. Whenever someone tells me something can’t be done, it only spurs me on that much more....
Agreed, the last thing you want to do is tell me that I can't....
I just tried to use the Forum for its intended purpose... Collecting knowledge to make a better informed decision...

Last famous words by Someone?
"It all looks good on paper"
I've noticed with all the things that I've done for the first time and you know I post all my intentions up first that the people who doubt me the most are the people who don't have the skills to try it themselves and are not confident...
Again I've done at least a half-a-dozen first time things whether it be one-off or first time for me that people said couldn't be done or won't turn out right... They all were done and they all turned out right...
BUT... This could be the time that I have the $500 flop LOL....

I have the advantage of being dumb enough that I don’t know certain things can’t or shouldn’t be done so I get them done anyway.....

I've noticed with all the things that I've done for the first time and you know I post all my intentions up first that the people who doubt me the most are the people who don't have the skills to try it themselves and are not confident...
Again I've done at least a half-a-dozen first time things whether it be one-off or first time for me that people said couldn't be done or won't turn out right... They all were done and they all turned out right...
BUT... This could be the time that I have the $500 flop LOL....
Oh I am not doubting you or your skill level.
I am confident that you will get the job done.
Years back it sounds like something I would have tackled.
Per your request I was just pointing out a few of the bums in the road.
Put your head down and go for it.
My Barracuda has a factory A/C system otherwise I would be right there with ya redesigning the wheel.
Good luck we'll all be watching

Oh I am not doubting you or your skill level.
I am confident that you will get the job done.
Years back it sounds like something I would have tackled.
Per your request I was just pointing out a few of the bums in the road.
Put your head down and go for it.
My Barracuda has a factory A/C system otherwise I would be right there with ya redesigning the wheel.
Good luck we'll all be watching
I know things come out wrong via this writing stuff and not being there in place but I didn't think you doubted me...
I realize you're trying to help and trying to think of the things that maybe I haven't and that's what I'm really looking for and I appreciate it...

Well hells bells we've been in the mid-70s for some time now.. I'll regret it if I don't get it by August though..

Well hells bells we've been in the mid-70s for some time now.. I'll regret it if I don't get it by August though..
You don't have enough horsepower to turn the compressor. LOL

It very much looks like he has a vast fabrication arsenal at his disposal...LOL...

you are right, I do.....a sheet of paper, a pencil, and an imagination. Same as you.

I do not have CAD abilities or a metal brake, a water jet / laser cutter, but I know where to find them and when I do, I make friends with the guys in the shop so if I want something not SOP...it is no big deal.

Good luck with your project.
Denny

-
Back