AC underhood component upgrade.

-

89on35s

Inferno Red Duster
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just picked up the underhood AC components from an 85 Dodge pick up and am going to install them in my 74 Duster. The car has all the in cab components from factory but when I bought it no underhood parts were there.

The condenser from the truck looks like it will fit in front of the stock 26" rad no problem. I will definitely have to modify my compressor bracket or pick up a different intake because I'm pretty sure there won't be room. I'm confident that I'll have to get the hoses modified because of length but I'll see after I get stuff installed.

My big question is, am I going to have trouble finding hose ends to connect to the factory evaporator? The truck hoses have a flat plate with both hoses connected to it that connect with 1 bolt in the center and the evaporator has 1 male and 1 female threaded connection.

Has anyone done this?

Cley
20170127_105649.jpg
20170127_105649.jpg
20170127_105628.jpg
20170127_105520.jpg
20170127_105649.jpg
20170127_105628.jpg
20170127_105520.jpg

Well the condenser is just barely too thick and a bit too high too. I guess I'll search for something a little smaller. Going to try wrecking yard maybe. Needs to be about 27" wider, 17" high and at most an inch thick. Any ideas?

Cley

I modified the factory rotary compressor mount bracket to fit a newer sanden compressor, easier for hoses since there is a lot of aftermarket support.

My big question is, am I going to have trouble finding hose ends to connect to the factory evaporator? The truck hoses have a flat plate with both hoses connected to it that connect with 1 bolt in the center and the evaporator has 1 male and 1 female threaded connection.

Those flat plates are a pain to work with & most are warped. Nobody reproduces them that I know of.

I wouldn't recommend using them at all...JMO

So here's my plan. I want to use the 85 truck compressor and hoses I have with a new drier, an aftermarket condenser and something for an expansion valve or orifice which I haven't figured out yet. I found some compression style fittings that will adapt the steel lines to the threaded AC fittings. Are these threaded AC fittings the same as AN fittings? Am I better off to get custom lines made than try and adapt my truck lines? I'm new to this AC stuff and am trying to do this cheap but I also don't want to waste my time with leaks. I'd appreciate any advice.

Cley

If the truck hoses are long you may be able to cut them down and have Napa crimp the correct ends
back on them?

..... I'd appreciate any advice.
Cley

Not sure if your parts are the old stuff or the newer stuff, but R134 requires a multi-pass condenser. the older style R12 condensers only make one pass through them.

I did learn that. I am now looking at a universal multi-pass condenser. The truck condenser didn't quite fit anyway.

Cley

I modified the factory rotary compressor mount bracket to fit a newer sanden compressor, easier for hoses since there is a lot of aftermarket support.

Could you tell me exactly which compressor you used and how much modification was required?

Cley

Those flat plates are a pain to work with & most are warped. Nobody reproduces them that I know of.

I wouldn't recommend using them at all...JMO

Would it be a big deal to leave the flat plates at the drier only? I'll have to do something else at the condenser and the evaporator anyway.

Cley

Shawn's Dart 3.jpg
Could you tell me exactly which compressor you used and how much modification was required?

Cley
The factory rotary compressor from a mid 80's dodge pickup is a little larger in dia, so cut and welded it to match a standard aftermarket Sanden compressor. I think multiple V8 vehicles from the 80's would have the same compressor brackets. it mounts the compressor just to the passenger side of the thermostat housing, and just clears said housing. Only picture I have of it at this time.

Would it be a big deal to leave the flat plates at the drier only? I'll have to do something else at the condenser and the evaporator anyway.

Cley

If the plates don't leak, leave them alone. Had to drill & bolt these plates to get them to seal...

P1020037.JPG

P1020036.JPG

Thanks for the info! I think I'll try and use as much of the truck hose as I can. I'll just worry about connections at the condenser and the evaporator. I see that Napa has a cross flow condenser they sell as an upgrade to the factory truck condenser that I may try. It is dimensionally smaller than the original so it should fit. Again, I will use the flat plate connection. I'm just not sure about how the hoses will fit under the hood where they meet the condenser.

Cley

-
Back