Accelerator Pedal Sticking

-

Average Ivan

Reaction score
My 62 Valiant has been having random trouble with the accelerator pedal sticking. As I ease off of the gas, the pedal will hang up for a split second, then release. The sticking is a random occurrence, happening for a week and then disappearing, only to come back later. I cannot duplicate the hanging sensation when the engine is not running. It is not a big issue, but I am having trouble diagnosing the problem and it aggravates an otherwise fantastic driving experience. Any ideas on where to start?

1708101466842.png

Rod is binding somewhere could be engine mounts allowing movement. Check return spring as well

Since it's a '62, I'll assume it's a slant 6, which has a "pivot rod' type accelerator linkage.
Make sure all the bushings along the rod are lubricated and allowing the rod to pivot freely, likewise with the carb linkage joints. Make sure your throttle return spring is present and providing adequate tension. If an automatic, make sure the kickdown rod is also allowing the throttle to return to idle properly.
BTW, are you sure your floor mats aren't creeping up and jamming the gas pedal a bit?

We're also assuming that your heat riser is working properly and that the carb throttle shaft isn't icing up causing the sticking.

Since it's a '62, I'll assume it's a slant 6, which has a "pivot rod' type accelerator linkage.
Make sure all the bushings along the rod are lubricated and allowing the rod to pivot freely, likewise with the carb linkage joints. Make sure your throttle return spring is present and providing adequate tension. If an automatic, make sure the kickdown rod is also allowing the throttle to return to idle properly.
BTW, are you sure your floor mats aren't creeping up and jamming the gas pedal a bit?
Not a floor mat issue. Even someone as dopey as myself knows to check that one!

Rod is binding somewhere could be engine mounts allowing movement. Check return spring as well
The fact that the binding only occurs with the engine running suggests this. I'd run the motor (in neutral) then manually operate the throttle at the carb while looking for any engine movement.

-
Back