Acoustic Classic Rock

-

/6 Matt

30 Degrees Crooked
Reaction score
Anybody know any easy acoustic classic rock song for somebody who's been playing for two days? I have been teaching myself through a tuner app, chord tabs and youtube.

Been messing around with "Over the Hills and Far Away" and "Dear Prudence" and they aren't easy for a teen with +- 4 hours guitar experience lol!:mrgreen:

Also, how about homemade soft guitar picks? Any ideas there?

Eagles. Peaceful Easy Feeling. So easy it hurts. Plus when you get done learnin it, you've really done something.

Eagles. Peaceful Easy Feeling. So easy it hurts. Plus when you get done learnin it, you've really done something.
Didn't think of that one, thanks Rob. I'll check that out on YouTube.

pick floyd "wish you were here" is a good one
I've thought of that one, its my favorite song from them. Does it sound harder than it really is?

Eagles "Take it Easy" is another simple one. Beautiful song. C, D, G and E minor are all the rhythm is. Very simple to learn.

All rhythm is pretty much chord based. You need to get good at chording first. Like Bryan Adams says in The Summer of 69 "Played until my fingers bled" he aint kiddin. That's what it takes. What I would recommend is what you may not like. Learn some simple 3 chord country first. C, D and G. That will really get you started.

All rhythm is pretty much chord based. You need to get good at chording first. Like Bryan Adams says in The Summer of 69 "Played until my fingers bled" he aint kiddin. That's what it takes. What I would recommend is what you may not like. Learn some simple 3 chord country first. C, D and G. That will really get you started.
I already know c and g, can I learn d and call it quits? I told myself along time ago that the eagles, colt ford and blue on black will be the only country music this redneck ever produces.

Southern rock (skynyrd or molly hatchet etc) is OK.

Does "wish you were here" sound harder than it is? Yes, it sure does.:D

It sounds hard but the begin is pretty easy , was the first song I learnd
on my acoustic. learnd it from you tube , patatonic notes and 3 or 4 chords
and you will love hearing yourself play and want to learn more .

I already know c and g, can I learn d and call it quits? I told myself along time ago that the eagles, colt ford and blue on black will be the only country music this redneck ever produces.

Southern rock (skynyrd or molly hatchet etc) is OK.

That may be so, but country is dead simple and can teach you many other things as well.

I'd suggest "House of the Rising Sun".

It's not terrible to figure out, but the execution is one hell of an exercise.

It's pretty much picking chord formations, but the timing is crucial and it's double picking a lot of them.

You can start single picking everything, and get it down, and then try double.
Totally changes the difficulty level.

The beginning of Metallica's "Fade to Black", is also an excellent exercise.

Again, not too difficult to learn, but getting the timing and execution down is a workout.

Both those songs force you to finger the chords "correctly", and hold your left hand "properly" or you get muted notes and string buzz.

You will feel muscles in your hands and fingers you didn't even know you had!

Doobie Brothers-Cheat the Hangman

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luv1fvtj4bQ"]Cheat the Hangman - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7xGow6I3bE"]Clear As The Driven Snow - The Doobie Brothers - YouTube[/ame]

One of the easiest ways to learn tunes is to understand the circle of 5ths/4ths, and the diatonic cycle. Diatonic just means "in the key of". Get a basic music theory/fundamentals book and get a handle on the twelve major and minor keys and understand key signatures. All music can be broken down into chord progressions. Chord progressions can be analyzed by using roman numerals. The C major scale is spelled: C D E F G A B. Now if you build chords off of each scale degree, you get: C maj, d min, e min, F maj, G maj, a min, b diminished. These are the diatonic triad chords in the key of C major. I ii iii IV V vi viio. Upper case is major, lower case is minor. Diminished is usually denoted with a circle. i.e., viio Now, I IV V in the key of C major is C F G. In jazz, the ii V I progression is more common. ii V I in C major is d min7, G7 and C maj7. There is a lot more to this, but this is a good starting point for a beginner. This may be a little confusing at first, but you will understand it with some practice. Sorry if this is a little long winded.

I suggest that you learn ALL of the major and minor chords and not limit yourself to just the "easy" chords!!

I also suggest that you concentrate on just one song, preferably one you know very well already. And I mean LEARN it, chords, lyrics...everything!! Nothing worse than listening to someone playing just the intros to songs or noodling around with no direction!! If you learn one song completely, you become an entertainer, and other songs will come much quicker, especially ones with the same basic structure!!

Don't count out old country and bluegrass as great places to find really cool songs perfectly made for just you and your guitar! Check out "Blackjack County Chains" by Del McCoury!... Badazz song for just a boy and his guitar!!

-
Back