Adding springs to clutch pack?

Transmission and Drivetrain Tech

1. EvilScamp

EvilScamp Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:27 AM
    Rebuilding my 727 i had heard that i can ad springs to the front clutch pack to give it harder shifts.
    Can this be done? It has 6 springs now, how many more can i put and do i need to do any farther mods. to it?

2. 375inStroke

375inStroke Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:27 AM
    Only 6? I think they go up to 15, and no, you can't just add more springs. There are several elements of the transmission that affect how it shifts, and changing one without another could lead to problems. There is a varying number of clutch plates that could have been installed, and there are a few different front band types, along with the kickdown lever ratios, which probably has the biggest affect on the 1st to 2nd shift. From what I've seen, higher ratio kickdown levers usually have more springs installed. The springs release the clutch, but I am not sure if adding more slows down it's application. Unfortunately, I don't have a table with what to use with what, but I do know you can't just change one thing. You have to take the entire transmission into account and know what affects the application and release of one band or clutch, and another.

3. 375inStroke

375inStroke Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:27 AM
    If you want to modify it, like install a shift kit, I recommend Trans-Go TF2. Stay away from B&M. I got a 440 and trans from the junkyard, but the trans had a broken rear band. I rebuilt it with a Trans-Go TF2, and that old Chrysler 300 lo-po 440 could lay down 20 footers hitting second gear, and chirp third sometimes.

4. 80fbody

80fbody Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I went with 5 rear disks & 12 springs in my front clutch with a solid snap ring. Also 4.2 lever, reverse manual valve body, etc.

5. EvilScamp

Local Time:
    It should have said 9 springs not 6.

6. oldkimmer

oldkimmer FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    8:27 AM
    ............Iusually use 9 in a 2 1 2 1 2 1 arrangement........kim........

7. EvilScamp

Local Time:
    I'm gonna order that kit. Would you recommend any changes to the governor?
    What about the wave ring in the front clutch pack, should i change that to a snap ring?

8. fishy68

fishy68 Tyr Fryr's Inc. FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    8:27 AM
    Adding spring does not make it shift firmer. If anything it'll slow down the application of the front clutch producing a softer 2-3 shift. As 375 said it's all in the combo, not just one piece that produces a certain firmness of shift

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.