Adjusting 4 speed shifter

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to adjust the rods on a 4 speed in a 69 Barracuda? I know about the slot at the bottom and sliding a pin through the holes, and adjusting the 1-2 and 3-4 throws are no problem. But what about the reverse lever on the shifter. There is no hole in it, so when sliding in the pin to adjust neutral on 1-2 and 3-4 the reverse lever must be either all the way forward or all the way back. All the way forward makes sense, but with that lever all the way forward, the rod is way too long. I am a good mechanic, I've just never done this before. Thanks in advance. Mike.

If I remember right the reverse rod needs to be in line with the rest of them when you slide the pin in. Otherwise you couldn't get the shifter over to the left for reverse. Put it in N and adjust the reverse rod until you can slide the shifter handle to the left. I had to mess with it a few times to get it right. Now I have a hurst comp plus so if your using a stck shifter maybe it's a tad different?

I drop all the pins for the shift rods at the shifter. I insert a small allen wrench into the hole in the center of the shift rod levers, including reverse. Once ALL the levers are connected together I spin the adjuster's until they line up with each hole in their respective lever.You'll have to pull the allen wrench out to move one lever out of the way to install the inside one, but re-install the allen wrench (or small bolt, or rod, or whatever fits.....) for each one. I also recommend installing steel shifter bushings to take out the slop inherent with the plastic bushings.

New shifter clips are cheap insurance if you don't upgrade to the steel bushings..... ever have a shift rod disconnect while driving? :x

-
Back