After a lifetime of waiting, I just bought my first classic car

-

67fish383S

Reaction score
Hello! I'm doing this a bit backward, because I joined a while back and started a thread before doing a formal introduction (Considering a '67 Dart GT Convertible as my first project. Am I insane?)

I joined because I was considering a full restoration of a '67 Dart vert that needed a lot of love (the subject of the thread) and I really needed a sounding board. I got a ton of helpful advice and went back-and-forth a few times, but ultimately decided the full resto as a first project was probably not the best way to begin. So, long story short, yesterday I pulled the trigger on a recently 'refreshed' and fairly original 1967 Barracuda Formula S Fastback with a 383 four barrel and a 4 speed! A life-long dream realized.

It still needs love, just not as much. I'll eventually do body and paint for sure. The paint is impressive from a distance, but pretty well beat close up. There are some body panel issues that were covered up with the crappy paint job, so that all needs fixing. Trim replacement and some other originality things will probably keep me busy as well, but right now I'm concentrating on learning how to drive her right.

A little bit of history on how I got to this point (quoted from the original thread): "Hello. Brand new member. Lifelong Mopar guy, or at least lifelong Mopar wannabe. My first car was a '72 Duster with a slant six at age 16. Two months after I bought it for $225, that car caused me to need to do my first engine swap before I had even learned how to change my own oil. Long story. Thrown rod, may or may not have had something to do with the oil thing ;), but I loved it and always wanted another one. Been a home garage mechanic ever since. Now I'm 53 and finally in a place to consider my first restoration project."

I am super excited about this new adventure and super happy I found this group. I've joined a number of forums over the years for various things (mostly cars) and I can honestly say this has been the most welcomed I've ever felt. It's a great group.
P6220063.JPG
IMG_0463.JPG

Welcome and I think you made the right decision. Most of the time people have visions of what a project can be and then get overwhelmed. Buy it and enjoy it now instead of later, is usually what I tell people. That’s a damn nice car to jump back in the hobby with.

What a nice car! Love those cragars! If it is not too nice, you will drive it more and thus enjoy it more!

Welcome from NW Ohio - great "first" project car! Cragars and A-bodies go so well together!

Congrats on the Fish. I also have a 67 383 4 speed. Lots of fun and frustration at times...haha!! They are a 53 year old car. Have fun!!

I remember your Dart thread. Good move on avoiding that one as your first project. Nice find on the fish, you can enjoy it as you fix it. That's more fun!

Welcome from Weeki Wachee Florida. Cool car. Don't get too deep in projects, as was already said. I did this on my truck, and it's dragging me down.

Nice fish, and welcome! JMHO, I think you made a good decision. A hard-core project can easily become an anchor around your neck while you try to swim. Getting one you can drive while you work on it is lots more fun.

Sweet!
Drive it everyday possible and enjoy the heck out of it.
It appears to have a few options, but a bench seat. Hard to tell in pics.
Is it a bench?
I have only seen one with a bench 4 speed and it's in my garage.

SWEEEET! The right kind of insurance is a must. The one like yours ( only red ) to visit me was purchased from Hagery Insurance after the previous owner stuck right front to a bridge while being silly. The heavier nose will get away from you quicker than small block or slant 6.
If you want it to handle more like anything and everything else you have driven over past 25 years... Todays aftermarket suspension parts can get you there. Otherwise, turn those horses loose only in a straight line. These old girls could (and some did) get the muscle of but not the handling/control of todays vehicles. Macpherson strut changed the world, especially for unibody.
What Is MacPherson Strut Suspension And Why Is It So Popular?
Do share some details like what brakes it has under it, what diameter stabilizer bar, etc,, as opportunity comes about.
And by the way... Slant 6 is notorious for poking the #5 rod through left side of block.
happy moparing

Sweet!
Drive it everyday possible and enjoy the heck out of it.
It appears to have a few options, but a bench seat. Hard to tell in pics.
Is it a bench?
I have only seen one with a bench 4 speed and it's in my garage.
Yes it is a bench, and I suspected from the get-go that it's not original. It seems like it may be a custom job and not a good one. The upholstery is nice, but it is way too 'cushy' and not good for driving. And on the first trip home, I was being choked by what turned out to be gobs of cotton-like seat stuffing flying around in the air. One of the first things on my list is to find some original or reproduction buckets.

Congrats!!!! I say drive it and enjoy it and work on it while keeping it on the road till the weather runs you off the highways!!
Thanks! Of course after what seems like weeks of dry, sunny weather, it started raining the minute I got her home last night and this morning it was all cloudy and drizzly. Had to make the difficult decision to leave her in the barn on her first day.

-
Back