After Martket Thermostat Housing

-
BTW another option is realgasket.com silicone gasket. It sealed my 54 year old pitted intake and aftermarket OEM style housing.

Chrome ones leak.. billet alum ones are the way to go...nice part!!

I put a billet with O ring on a few years ago, and it ended seepage that had lasted for several years, and I had tried just about everything else.

BTW another option is realgasket.com silicone gasket. It sealed my 54 year old pitted intake and aftermarket OEM style housing.

Well they ain't worked for me. I tried a valve cover gasket and a thermostat housing gasket. They have two levels and I got the more expensive of each....the fiber reinforced. I made sure the valve cover rail was perfect and the housing and head were both flat. I followed their torque spec to the letter. Both leaked like a senior citizen with incontinence. I tried over torquing slightly and that helped, but they still leaked. Into the garbage they went. I put on a cork valve cover gasket and a blue FelPro thermostat gasket ans no leaks at all.

Well they ain't worked for me. I tried a valve cover gasket and a thermostat housing gasket. They have two levels and I got the more expensive of each....the fiber reinforced. I made sure the valve cover rail was perfect and the housing and head were both flat. I followed their torque spec to the letter. Both leaked like a senior citizen with incontinence. I tried over torquing slightly and that helped, but they still leaked. Into the garbage they went. I put on a cork valve cover gasket and a blue FelPro thermostat gasket ans no leaks at all.
I used their standard gasket (NO SEALER and inch pounds, 12inch pounds IIRC)

Did you clean out the holes the bolts go into?

Thermostat Housing Gasket - Silicone Gaskets - Real Gaskets Tennessee

Fine sandpaper and a flat surface, rub the stock, aftermarket, chrome plated housings in a gentle circular/figure 8 motion until you see a uniform flat surface, skim coat of ultra black on both side of a paper gasket, torque to specs, allow to cure fully before it sees any liquid and good to go. Never had a problem with my method. All in the prep and assembly. And you can repair a corroded or warped housing also this way, been there, done that.

Fine sandpaper and a flat surface, rub the stock, aftermarket, chrome plated housings in a gentle circular/figure 8 motion until you see a uniform flat surface, skim coat of ultra black on both side of a paper gasket, torque to specs, allow to cure fully before it sees any liquid and good to go. Never had a problem with my method. All in the prep and assembly. And you can repair a corroded or warped housing also this way, been there, done that.
I tried that when I was having constant leakage from my housing. I used varying grits of PSA backed dry sandpaper like you would block sand with that was stuck to my flat work bench. Started with 220 and ended up with 400. It was very smooth and flat. I did what I could with the intake mounting surface while still on the car. Still seeped. So I spent about $60 for a Billet Specialties housing with an O ring, and no more leaks. I don't know what the problem was, but I had given up.

I'm a cast iron man. If I can find an old school cast IRON housing that's what I use

-
Back