Aftermarket harness.

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
The wiring is toast on my Mopar. I am wanting to buy an aftermarket harness. It is just basic 318 no A/C or cruise etc. Has anyone bought a Summit racing harness ? Any recommendations on any other brand of harness?

The wiring is toast on my Mopar. I am wanting to buy an aftermarket harness. It is just basic 318 no A/C or cruise etc. Has anyone bought a Summit racing harness ? Any recommendations on any other brand of harness?

It boils down to original fit plug and play or custom made you have to make work.

Which harness, under hood or most likely under dash.

It boils down to original fit plug and play or custom made you have to make work.

I don't care about original fit. I am looking for a complete harness for the entire car. Looking for a cheap easy plug and play.

I don't care about original fit. I am looking for a complete harness for the entire car. Looking for a cheap easy plug and play.

Then you are looking for Factory! Don’t kid yourself! You can’t have it both ways. Your choices are simple and none of them are cheap! Piece of mind is what you end up with!

Buy an old harness and hope it works, or bite the bullet! The Bullet ultimately tastes good! JMO!

E-bay is full of M&H harness’s today! Buy them!

I bought one from Evans, for underhood on my '72 Challenger. The one that handled ignition, oil pressure and water temp, A/C, washer motor, brake failure.
It fit great, and everything works! Didn't realize how brittle my original wires were. Now the car starts every time!
They shipped it quickly, can't believe how high freight has gotten!

I bought one from Evans, for underhood on my '72 Challenger. The one that handled ignition, oil pressure and water temp, A/C, washer motor, brake failure.
It fit great, and everything works! Didn't realize how brittle my original wires were. Now the car starts every time!
They shipped it quickly, can't believe how high freight has gotten!

Plug and play? All the correct terminals and connector housings, no DIY?

Yes, plug and play! now I did have to remove one wire that shared the old plug, but was easy to install in the new plug.
Not sure why Chrysler built it that way, but not a problem. And the brake failure plug boot was a little long, but easy to trim with a razor blade. I'd definitely buy from them again!

Last edited:
getting ready to put in my third M&H harness (various 1970 Darts). Laid out my old harnesses and the new ones - as expected exactly on target, same connectors, same wire colors and tracers, everything the right length and wrapped just like the factory. Past experience says plug it in in a few hours and never a problem.

I need an aftermarket harness not a stock harness.Ron Francis sells an aftermarket harness for the older Mopars. Summit Racing harness is $200.00 I guess I will order theirs.Its not plug and play but that is ok.

Year one has the M&H harnesses which are good quality and close to original. They have sales frequently and can be bought at a good discount.

Evans is a small company that also makes (some) replica mopar harnesses.
Bill will also sell parts (like fusible links and fuse clips) and that's the only direct personal experience I've had with them.

If I were doing an aftermarket harness, the first thing I would do would be to eliminate the bulkhead connectors.

IDK. They're pretty useful providing a compact, organized, and secure method of pass through.
They allow relatively easy diagnostics and isolation of individual circuits and wires.
The opposite alternative would be a cable bundle through the firewall, properly secured with insulation, yet allowing no movement which could cause were or chafing.

Starting from scratch you could do a thoughtful combination of both methods.
I've noticed that where Chrysler did use grommet feed throughs they often provided some sort of in-line wire connector nearby.

Last edited:
IDK. They're pretty useful providing a compact, organized, and secure method of pass through.
They allow relatively easy diagnostics and isolation of individual circuits and wires.
The opposite alternative would be a cable bundle through the firewall, properly secured with insulation, yet allowing no movement which could cause were or chafing.

Starting from scratch you could do a thoughtful combination of both methods.
I've noticed that where Chrysler did use grommet feed throughs they often provided some sort of in-line wire connector nearby.

Agreed. In my times of wiring a car myself (been a long time, back when there were no kits) I did what was easy for me, mostly point to point. Didn’t have to think about the assembly line production needs for connectors. Not that I did the best job, But it worked reliably.

My biggest mistake was not putting extra wires in the bundle. As soon as I was done I immediately figured out that I forgot stuff like wires for a tach, extra gauges, etc., and had to add them. Made a lot of extra work when it would have been no effort if I had thought about it a little more up front. There is always one more gadget you just gotta have....

I don not want or need a original harness
So i didn't understand your original post, thought by "aftermarket" you meant non OEM.
But now I think you must have a race car, and want an aftermarket race car or street rod type harness.
Totally get it now. Yeah Evans makes a wonderful original style harness with correct plugs and connectors.
I'm sure you'll find something in your price range.

So i didn't understand your original post, thought by "aftermarket" you meant non OEM.
But now I think you must have a race car, and want an aftermarket race car or street rod type harness.
Totally get it now. Yeah Evans makes a wonderful original style harness with correct plugs and connectors.
I'm sure you'll find something in your price range.
I have a 88 Dodge Dakota. Dropping in a 318 LA. Getting rid of the computer and the wiring is a mess. I am thinking now maybe EZ harness. Then order EZ ignition,wiper,head light switches etc.

I have used Bill Evan's harnesses on countless Mopars ALWAYS a perfect fit with no issues.

-
Back