aftermarket steering column early A body

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is anyone out there using an aftermarket tilt column in an early A body? Just exploring my options since I'm redoing my interior in my 65 Valiant. Thanks in advance.

Is the 66-down different than the 67- up? I know 67 didn't have the expanded metal collapsing feature but interchange with 68-up.

I’d like to pics of your install! I’m considering the same thing.

Take lots of pics along the way and start a nice "how to" thread.

Last edited:
I received my tilt steering column and have it installed. I will start off by saying that I had already modified my factory column so I will show some pics of that. The first thing I do to all of my mopars when I get them is ditch the factory grease steering box and replace it with a Borgeson universal. I think the p/n is #015221. The factory shaft is 3/4" so I use a grinder and make a DD shape to fit in the universal. While I am at it I usually trim the column tube back to where only a couple of inches sticks out of the firewall to give me more room for access in the engine compartment and add a bearing into the end of the steering tube. I've run my cars like this for many years with no issues and it improves the steering feel and eliminates play in the steering.

View attachment 1715518761

View attachment 1715518762

View attachment 1715518763

steer 2.jpg

steer 13.jpg

steer 14.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a comparison of my factory column and the 32" tilt column. It is very close in length to my modified column.The new column has a 1" DD output shaft. I purchased a Borgeson coupler p/n 315249. This adapts the output shaft 1" DD to 3/4" DD. I purchased a 9" piece of 3/4" DD steering shaft from ebay. This is cut to length to make the connection from the new coupler down to my existing Borgeson universal joint.
The new column will have to be marked and slotted on the bottom for the upper mount at the dash just like the factory column is. The factory column is 1/16" larger in diameter than the new column. The aftermarket column is 2". So there is going to be a gap where the column comes through the firewall grommet.
I wrapped the column tube a couple of times with 2" wide electrical tape. Then I used a 20" bicycle tube and cut out a 2.5" section and slide that over the electrical tape to make an airtight seal with the firewall grommet. I applied a thin layer of Vaseline to the bike tube to make it easier to slide the column through the grommet. I also wrapped the column a couple of times where the top mount goes to ensure a snug fit when the column mount is tighten down.

steer 12.jpg

steer 8.jpg

steer 9.jpg

steer 5.jpg

steer 15.jpg

steer 11.jpg

I'm sorry, I am not very good at "how to" writeups. I kinda work and think on the fly. I am happy with how this turned out and this mod will increase the comfort level when driving. I will probably duplicate it on my other cars eventually.

steer 16.jpg

steer 17.jpg

Last edited:
The new column has a wiring connector that is common for gm vehicles. I haven't addressed that yet since I will be rewiring my car. It shouldn't be too hard to come up with a connector to use existing mopar wiring. I will most likely be using a harness from Ron Francis that will have the proper connector for this column.

The new column has a wiring connector that is common for gm vehicles. I haven't addressed that yet since I will be rewiring my car. It shouldn't be too hard to come up with a connector to use existing mopar wiring. I will most likely be using a harness from Ron Francis that will have the proper connector for this column.
Thanks for the write up. This is something I might end up doing for the tilt feature.

No problem. I use a 15" aftermarket steering wheel so the tilt will come in handy. I have trouble seeing the gauges with the 14" steering wheels. The 14" steering wheel partially covers the gauges. Tilt will give me legroom with the bigger steering wheel.

Or u can relocate the pins in ur steering column plug in to match the new one , I had to when I rewired my car.
Seems everything is geared toward chevrolets !

No problem. I use a 15" aftermarket steering wheel so the tilt will come in handy. I have trouble seeing the gauges with the 14" steering wheels. The 14" steering wheel partially covers the gauges. Tilt will give me legroom with the bigger steering wheel.
Great looking little valiant you have there. What bearing are you running on the bottom of the stock column? Thanks

Great looking little valiant you have there. What bearing are you running on the bottom of the stock column? Thanks

I picked up 1 bearing p/n 0474472 and 2 locking collars p/n 33376 from Fastenal. I use a locking collar on both sides of the bearing to keep the bearing from migrating. Parts are about $14.00. I originally did this about 8 years ago on my 66 Cuda. I think I have seen a 1 piece unit now that someone makes.

Quick add on note to this install. Will not work with magnum manifolds in early A unless some serious machining is done to the manifold. Will not work with TTI headers as the adapters are too large to fit through the header tubes. Looking like stock early A manifolds are the way to go for fitment.

-
Back