[WANTED] air cleaner decal

-

ajarofclay

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
Does anybody have OR know of a source for the later (1972) air cleaner maintenance decal. I picked one up on EBAY that was displayed as I needed but the one i received was a little different but also blemished with faded and bleeding colors. Many others on Ebay were that same bad quality. Not sure what was actually original but the one I received had Made In Canada on it, while the one pictured did not. 'preciate the help as always.

thumbnail.jpg

Screenshot 2024-10-12 at 11-35-24 1972 1973 74 DODGE PLYMOUTH CHRYSLER 360 AIR CLEANER SERVICE...png

Last edited:
So you want or don't want the 'Made in Canada' on the sticker? Sorry, I'm just a little confused (my normal state these days).

If you're restoring a 1972 model, that is not the air cleaner decal you want despite what every supplier says. That decal (and the similar one that doesn't say "MADE IN CANADA") were both first used on 1973 models. It's impossible to get a "post-dated" copyright. By the start of calendar year 1972--when they could've gotten a 1972 copyright--over 40% of the production calendar (08/02/71-07/31/72) had already passed.

This is the decal for 1972. The photo is of my own unmolested 1972 air cleaner:

100_6326-1.jpg

Unfortunately, nobody makes a correct reproduction of the assembly-line decal. The reproductions have the "Chrysler Parts" logo in the upper left wrong, and some have the "PARTS DIVISION" and "CHRYSLER CORPORATION" in the lower right in blue. The repros are copied from NOS decals sold at the parts counter, which are not the same as the assembly-line stuff.

If you want the closest thing available, it's listed by virtually everyone as a 1971 decal. You can still shop with Mega Parts; their part number is 115D-AC186. The upper left logo is wrong, as is the word "SUPPLY" in the lower right.

If you're restoring a 1972 model, that is not the air cleaner decal you want despite what every supplier says. That decal (and the similar one that doesn't say "MADE IN CANADA") were both first used on 1973 models. It's impossible to get a "post-dated" copyright. By the start of calendar year 1972--when they could've gotten a 1972 copyright--over 40% of the production calendar (08/02/71-07/31/72) had already passed.

This is the decal for 1972. The photo is of my own unmolested 1972 air cleaner:

View attachment 1716314828

Unfortunately, nobody makes a correct reproduction of the assembly-line decal. The reproductions have the "Chrysler Parts" logo in the upper left wrong, and some have the "PARTS DIVISION" and "CHRYSLER CORPORATION" in the lower right in blue. The repros are copied from NOS decals sold at the parts counter, which are not the same as the assembly-line stuff.

If you want the closest thing available, it's listed by virtually everyone as a 1971 decal. You can still shop with Mega Parts; their part number is 115D-AC186. The upper left logo is wrong, as is the word "SUPPLY" in the lower right.
Wow, that's interesting. My original (or at least what you can see) looks like the one I had posted. Clearly had the Red and Blue borders. I wonder if it was a mid year change? Does yours have the flap?

20240730_095151(1).jpg

So you want or don't want the 'Made in Canada' on the sticker? Sorry, I'm just a little confused (my normal state these days).
Yeah Mayhem, I'm a little confused on that too. There seems to be a lot of them out there with Canada on them but many others don't? I guess I'd prefer it not to be on there just because I'm in the states.

I hadn't considered a running change on the decal (and should have)--that's entirely possible. The flap air cleaner was also used through 1973 on 340s (and throughout '73 on 440s) so it is possible that's a '73 air cleaner. Crap got swapped around a lot on these cars. I tossed my '73 (non-flap) in 1988 in favor of a hot-rod chrome unit, then got a junkyard '73 340 air cleaner so I could keep my fancy POS when I sold the car (I was 18--cut me some slack :p).

The big problem is that so many of the reproductions are just plain wrong. Decades ago, close enough was exactly that, and now some of those 35-year-old decals are taken as gospel. And as I mentioned, the parts-counter decal was slightly different than the one used on the assembly line.

Hoping against hope, I just went and checked a '74 dual-snorkel--which I'm sure had the decal you seek--but whatever hack chopped off the snorkels and painted it red (it wasn't me this time!) also scratched away the decal.

I have a friend with an unrestored '72 340 Charger. I'll see if he can get me a picture of his air cleaner and tell me his SPD/sequence number. It may well be a midyear thing.

I hadn't considered a running change on the decal (and should have)--that's entirely possible. The flap air cleaner was also used through 1973 on 340s (and throughout '73 on 440s) so it is possible that's a '73 air cleaner. Crap got swapped around a lot on these cars. I tossed my '73 (non-flap) in 1988 in favor of a hot-rod chrome unit, then got a junkyard '73 340 air cleaner so I could keep my fancy POS when I sold the car (I was 18--cut me some slack :p).

The big problem is that so many of the reproductions are just plain wrong. Decades ago, close enough was exactly that, and now some of those 35-year-old decals are taken as gospel. And as I mentioned, the parts-counter decal was slightly different than the one used on the assembly line.

Hoping against hope, I just went and checked a '74 dual-snorkel--which I'm sure had the decal you seek--but whatever hack chopped off the snorkels and painted it red (it wasn't me this time!) also scratched away the decal.

I have a friend with an unrestored '72 340 Charger. I'll see if he can get me a picture of his air cleaner and tell me his SPD/sequence number. It may well be a midyear thing.
Great information and I pretty much did the exact same thing. Change to one of the triangle screen air cleaner with a foam element but it literally would suffocate the engine so I just ran it without the foam for as little as I drove it. Lost track of my OE so I bought this one a few years back. It's possibly a 73 then. I'd appreciate it if you could get that pic; I'm probably going to put off buying one for a bit since it's gonna be cold here soon and I've still got some loose ends to tire up.

-
Back