Air Gap Manifold Opinions

-
I've heard quite a few "you get what you pay for's". Heard they have thin castings, the extra casting for the dual pattern looks tacky, that they may not seal. Ive also heard they work fine. I, personally, wouldnt run one because of the dual pattern looks pretty tacky, and also I'll pay for the made in the USA edelbrock and support them making new stuff for our engines. Just my 2cents :D

I got a Eddy on my Duster. I think it was worth the extra
money. Now getting rid of the eddy carb and going to a Holley.
Should work well together.

They're a 100.00 cheaper for a reason,they're chinese garbage buy the real thing buy the Edelbrock...... :thumbup:

Why give the chinesse more of our jobs when the USA product is clearly better. Bob

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know they were Chinese made. Should have known when I saw that price. I'll stay with American made. Mike

ValiantMike said:
Thanks for the replies. I didn't know they were Chinese made. Should have known when I saw that price. I'll stay with American made. Mike[/QUOTE

When I saw the price, my eyes bugged out too. But after looking at them for a minute, I could tell exactly what they were - Chinese castings ripped off from Edelbrock's design. They're so generic that they don't even have a casting of brand name or part number on them. I would never send my money over there, unless I had no choice - like all of our damn electronics.

The intakes are designed here by professional products then poured in China like eagle rods,cranks-almost all h-beam rods are poured over there and finished/checked here (if your lucky).Soooo,its american buisnesses/corparations who are actually trying to increase their bottom line by designing here then having it cast in China and sent back over here for their fellow americans to purchase.

I have one on my 360 and the fit and finish is as good as any other cast manifold I have looked at. The dual mounting provisions is a big plus and it's a shame that Edelbrock didn't add this feature to the sb manifold when they released it (wouldn't have cost anymore to include the feature). Instead they chose to release two versions and take advantage of the lack of competition in the magnum manifold area and charge a $75 premium over the LA version.

I can't compare it to any other manifolds for power since I built the engine with it but the engine is making around 370 HP based on a 13.7 @ 102 1/4 mile time and pulls strong from 1500-6500 rpm.

As far as it being a knock off; There are visually enough differences, not to mention the dual mounting, to say that it's not. Other than the open plenum concept it is as different as any two sb manifolds. You have to remember that what works is defined by the design of the rest of the engine so even if they were both designed with no knowledge of the other they still would look alike.

Yeah, fortunately, it's not a rip off. In terms of usability, it's a better part because of the dual pattern. It is cheaper because it's not US mad. But, look around at your own stuff. I think you'll find most are produced overseas. The MP oil pan (Hemi w/baffles) I installed yesterday I bought from Manicin, carries the MP part number, in an MP box. But it was wrapped in a plastic bag marked "Made in Taiwan ROC". So go ahead, Use your cell phone (made in Japan), dial up your credit card's Indian call center, ask them to raise your limit, so you can use it to go by Rotella and Walmart(the worst killer of USA products there is), to stay "American"....lol. The only thing that is truely made in America now is the dollar that gets minted here.

As I've said before, Edelbrock outsources thier stuff too. I bought valve covers from them clearly stamped "Made in Taiwan". These valve covers were made from incredibly poor quality castings, and I couldn't possibly see how they would seal. Back to Summit they went. Summit being who they are, promptly took the covers back and I got myself a nice set of Morosos. Afterwards, I thought I would notify Edelbrock that they have some quality control problems by e-mail. I wasn't bashing them, just letting them know they need to be more vigilant. 3 e-mails and no response. As a consumer, I will most likley not buy from them again, I don't care where they say they are made. Poor quality workmanship is not a nationality, it's an indication of employee satisfaction.

Now Vic and his family have been into Hot Rodding for far longer than I've been alive, and I respect their contribution to the sport and hobby but I owe no "Corporation" my loyalty. I pledge allegiance to the "USA" not "Edelbrock", "Harley Davidson", etc. These Corps. exist to make money and pacify their stock holders, period. As far as "Keeping your money in the USA", there are plenty of people who design, handle and sell these so-called "Chinese knock-offs" right here in the good ole' USA. Harley's been outsourcing jap parts for their bikes since they started using Matsushita starters in the early '70's, and if any of you have a newer Dodge truck with the hi-cap alternator, look at the sticker on it. You will be suprised.

Now, for those of you who want to tatoo "harley" or "edelbrock" across your forehead, thinking that they are "All - American", you all need to get your facts straight, pick up a book and do a little research.

Having said that, I would much rather spend my money on stuff made here (Like the Moroso covers, nice quality stuff!), but I am not going to buy "made in USA" stuff just because it's made here. The quality has to be there too.
Now, If I can manage to get a good quality manifold, rods or whatever for a hundred bucks less, I'll do it. Why? So I can afford better health care for my my daughter, and I don't know whats more American than taking good care or your own kids.

Just my 2 cents.

Yes, for the uneducated that keep referring to Professional Products these as cheap, Chinese knock offs. Keep in mind that Edelbrock's valve covers are "made in Taiwan". Just so there isn't any confusion, Chinese people live in Taiwan. I apologize in advance for the heated reply, but there is more to this than just "cheap Chinese" manufacturing. I own several Edelbrock manifolds AND I'm Chinese/American. American born and Red-blooded.

Not to get political but my point in the last post I made was reffering to the fact that its American companys having these products manifactured in China.It has nothing to do with the integrity of China or its proples manufacturing abilities but more to do with American companys needs/wants to increase profits and be competitive.Chinas economy is booming because of these American companies and alot of Americans blame them for our problems.The economy is now a global one and these are the results,think back to a time where it was all mom and pop stores/buisnesses and you didnt have such a fierce money making competition at the customers expense.Corparations and stockholders are the ones setting the standards of buisness these days and its all based on the bottom line not the quality of product.

Is it true that if you run an air-gap type intake that you have to cut a hole in hood for clearance and add a scoop?

-
Back