Air Tracker

-

CRUZE 418

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any personal advice on Air Tracking devices?

What are you calling an Air Tracker? An Apple Air Tag? An Aviation Tracker? A GPS Tracker?

If your thinking Apple Air Tracker they are way to easy to detect.....

I have a couple of Tile devices that work with my Android phone. They're OK. It depends what you want them to do. They broadcast a pretty weak signal which is picked up by yours and other phones. As long as it's in range of a phone with their app installed, you'll have a current location. If it's out of range, it will show you the last known location and when it was detected there.

Yeah, let's get the backstory.

I was curious, doesn't sound like it's worth it. Wanted something to tag my 3 cars and trailer. Maybe I am looking in the wrong direction. Was under the assumption that they could be tracked like a GPS in a phone, or airplane transponder.

There are pet trackers that track in different ways.
The GPS global trackers usually have a monthly fee, even cheap ones.
Some use tiles, some just to 400 ft.
I still think a hidden old cell with software, plugged in, then vehicle battery for days, then the cell battery.
Should have a week to track/find it.
jmo

Last edited:
I was curious, doesn't sound like it's worth it. Wanted something to tag my 3 cars and trailer. Maybe I am looking in the wrong direction. Was under the assumption that they could be tracked like a GPS in a phone, or airplane transponder.
They're cheap enough, and you'd be surprised how many hits it will get off other people's phones. But no, not perfect or infallible. For the price though, pretty good and lots better than nothing.

If your car is worth it I say get a good tracker. U will know as soon as it’s moved. Weather or not it’s towed, on a trailer or driven. Don’t cheap out if u have a higher dollar car. It’s like lending money. Only lend as much as u can afford to lose. Kim

Here’s a tid bit from my wife. This lady always borrowed $20.00 from her b4 every pay day. Then she paid my wife back. The next time she borrowed again she didn’t pay her back then wanted to borrow another $20.00, the wife said no. The lady never asked to borrow again. The wife told me that it was the best $20.00 she ever spent. The wife always tried to see the good in everybody. Kim

I agree, best $20. that she ever spent. Same deal cost me only five dollars, but I just don't loan money , unless it's a close friend at a swap meet and they get caught buying something that they didn't expect.

I have gotten burned by a few so called friends. Over parts like factory air cleaners, exhaust manifolds and carbs, gears etc. And miscellaneous smaller low dollar items. They needed these items to finish their cars. Their line was that they will get me the parts back. Then they sell their cars for big money and forget about me. I ask to be paid or to gets parts back. Well, they needed the money so they sold their cars. Then they say that do u know what these parts cost now. I say yes, that’s why u should have just paid for my parts to start with. I just distanced myself from them and they don’t get any part from me now matter what it is or what it may or may not cost. Then they get pissed off and leave. As I get older I realize that I don’t need friends like that. If I had those parts now I’d be sitting on a gold mine. Kim

Understand completely! I only have a couple of friends that I would loan money to, and vise versa. They would do the same for me, because we know going in that I would take care of things as soon as we got home, and they would to. I know exactly what you are saying. Hang in there!

Problem with an AirTag is the apps that people use to check for them. Because AirTags are used to maliciously track people and cars, there are apps to see if someone dropped one in your trunk at a show or stuck it to your car while you are away so they can "follow" you home and steal your car. So I would bet a thief would use the same app to make sure you don't have an AirTag in the car before they steal it and remove it when they do.

Seems like a better solution is one of those alarm systems that talks to your phone and tells you right away if the car is messed with or moves. I don't think there is a monthly fee for them either, but I could be wrong.

We put an air tag in our son's car with the instructions That it is NOT to be taken out or tampered with PERIOD or he loses the car. This gives us piece of mind that he's where he says he is. We can also check where he's been recently. It's well worth the cheap price.

So, as I mentioned before, Apple Air Tags are easy for anyone with any tech skill at all to detect and eliminate... So they are a poor choice for an anti theft device..

I have a GPS tracker on two of my cars... You lean on the fender or attempt to open a door and I've have a notification on my phone literally within ten seconds...
I know where my cars are & can follow them while moving the tracking may lag a block or two but never more than a couple blocks... When the car stops whether for a traffic light or an actual stop I know where it is within twenty feet...

Yes there is a monthly fee.. $12.. If your so strapped you can't pay $12 you can turn it off when you don't need it.. One phone call...

The units I have are the Optimus GV-50.... $40 on Amazon... It's got an internal battery but mostly runs of the car battery... If the car battery dies I get notified... When the car battery dies the internal battery continues to operate the tracker for six hours...

I've been told the signal can be lost by doing this that or the other... Well that really hasn't been my experience..

I routinely park the vehicles in metal buildings the signal remains strong.. I've driven the cars to fairly remote areas, never lost a signal... One of the cars was trailered from Austin Texas to central California... I knew the speed the vehicle travelled, the altitude, when & where it stopped...

A number of my friends have the same unit, all have been amazed at how effective it is...

-
Back