AJ's Opinions; for the Teener Street guys. You know; zero to 60 and a decent cruise rpm.

-

AJ/FormS

68 Formua-S fastback clone 367/A833/GVod/3.55s
Reaction score
South-Central Manitoba,Canada, 900ftelevation
Look, I know you guys need some love.
So I'm gonna give you what I think is the best advice anybody can ever give you.
Are you ready? it's Torque multiplication.
For as long as you continue to run a stock transmission combo, your engine is constrained by that all-wrong-for-318performance-combo. and
As long as your engine has the stock deck height, and factory heads, no matter how big a cam you put into it, it will be a dog until the rpm climbs up into the Power window which could be as high as 3800 rpm, just to tickle the powerband. With typical 2.76 gears and a TF, that will be ~43mph; and full power will not arrive until ~60mph.
The question is this; Are you willing to put up with that?

Of course not, and you know the solution is a higher stall to get closer to where the power is, like a 3800, right? I mean that's where the Powerband begins right? Well yes and no. You might want to be there, but that makes a lousy streeter.
So the next thing to consider, is to get rid of the 2.76s. The right gear for a street teener is almost always more than 3.91s; which will get you ~65@5000. Put a 2800 stall on that, and you have a nice street transmission ...... except in Drive, 65=3160 plus or minus slip. So now unless you are building a City-Only car, you need an overdrive.
Ok so the point is, no matter what you do to your teener, yur gonna need a convertor and an overdrive for her to be a true streeter.. Plus of course the usual upgrades to your TF to make it reliable, etcetera.
So, if you cannot do this work yourself, it's gonna cost you a lotta lotta money to get this done. But if you don't do this first, your budget-318 hop-up will be a dog for like 95% of the time.
So, my advice is to do these things first, so that you can enjoy your stock 318 until you have the money to at least upgrade the compression ratio.

Now, lemmee tell you about my transmission, and judge for yourself if you think it could help your street-teener.
BTW
I'm not telling that this is what you should build. I am telling you that it took me many years to get to where I am, and thousands of dollars.
but it will still not hurt my feelings one bit, if you chose another path. Remember, I take no offense if you're not interested.

Are you ready? My combo is;
Commando A833/Gvod/3.55s/ clutch. The ratios are
3.09-1.92-1.40-1.00-.78od. and splits are .62-.73-.72-.78, but, I shift into overdrive
after third and then into 4od, making the splits .62-.73-.78-.71. Check out how progressive those first 3 shifts are.
Now, here comes the neat part; I wired a bypass on the GV controller, so I can splitshift. With full 12 volts going to the shift solenoid, the GV shifts like lightning. Here is the neater part; Split-shifting between 1st and 2nd, and after Second, the ratios are
3.09-2.41-1.92-1.50 ..... for splits of; .78-.80-.78 ..............
IDK if there is anywhere on God's Green Earth that you can find three splits that tight.

Effectively, this is a very progressive 5-speed trans, that is well able to be a Six on the street.

Shifting at 5500, the rpm drop is to 4350, a powerband requirement of just 1155 rpm.
On the street, I like to gear this with 3.23s so that 1.92 Second hits 65@ 5020, which I can do because I have a modest-cammed longer-stroke 367 engine. Whereas if I had a 318, I might use 3.73s for 60=5370, which would run well with a 5000rpm powerpeak, say a 223@050 cam. That's a pretty small cam, and, with 3.73s you cruise rpm is 65=2350, and
if I was a betting man, I'd bet with the right cylinder pressure, you could tune that deep into the 20s mpg.
Now, that's a streeter.
Well, except now you still have to build your hi-pressure 318;
Or well, you know, a factory 318 with just a 4bbl, and say 3.23s would be a pretty good combo, @ 65= 2040.
And the best part, you don't have to dink around with convertors or shift kits or stinking governor weights; and you will NEVER burn out that Commando/GVod combo, and honestly, your clutch discs with a 318, should just keep on going and going and going. And so, it's like a one time deal.
Oh and you got that variable stall thing, called a clutch. Even the factory 2bbl, 8/1 318 should get rubber in first, and may even blow thru First-over, as well, lol. I know my winter-engine, a factory smog318, with 4.30s had no trouble.
Now, to conclude, this is Torque-multiplication at it's finest. This is the culmination of five years of throwing stuff at my combo, to see what sticks. My combo has seen every small-input, A833 ratio, that Mopar ever built, and every rear gear from 2.76 to 4.30, plus 4.88 and 5.13s, and except 3.73s. Not until I got the GVod did I have a winning combination, and I finally settled on 3.55s, which allowed my 367 to trap 93mph@6150rpm in Second-over, lol.

The only engine advice I can give you in this post, and it's harsh, is this;
If your 318 only has 135psi cylinder pressure in stock form, and you slide a big cam into that;
have you heard the expression; "garbage in=garbage out"?

Last edited:
What's the target for the car ???? :realcrazy::realcrazy:
Are they shooting for 10's in the 1/4 or 10's in the 1/8 ??
I didn't think the right or wrong can really be much more of a guesstimation unless there is a specific target one is shooting for..... Did I miss something??

I didn't think the right or wrong can really be much more of a guesstimation unless there is a specific target one is shooting for.....
For example... my 318 (4bbl w/summit cam) with 2.76's, stock torque converter and exhaust manifolds turned the same time and mph in the 1/4 mile as a factory '73 340 Duster with 3.21's. I was very happy with that :) Cruise 75 mph all day if I wanted to also :)

There’s a far easier solution, it’s called boost. Keep everything stock, cam, converter, gear, trans, everything, and add 10psi. You will never stop smiling. And when not in boost the engine will act like a stock engine. Wait, nevermind don’t do it or you’ll be just like me and spend every dime you have on those damn spinning mufflers for the rest of your life.
:lol:

There’s a far easier solution, it’s called boost. Keep everything stock, cam, converter, gear, trans, everything, and add 10psi. You will never stop smiling. And when not in boost the engine will act like a stock engine. Wait, nevermind don’t do it or you’ll be just like me and spend every dime you have on those damn spinning mufflers for the rest of your life.
:lol:
Did it
stock stall
headers
torker
tuned 650 dp
unilite
3.23s
340 heads
street hemi cam ( sounded better then nice)
727 shift kit
nitrous
cruised fine
5800 in drive many times
Put a beautiful triple black hemi coronet on the trailer

I didn't think the right or wrong can really be much more of a guesstimation unless there is a specific target one is shooting for..... Did I miss something??
97mph in the 1/8th, 2nd gear smoking the tires. duh.

because everybody lives their life 660 feet at a time.

I didn't need all that fancy stuff to hit 94mph in second gear with a 340/3.23/4-speed. What I did need was a lawyer.

So I'm gonna give you what I think is the best advice anybody can ever give you.
For as long as you continue to run a stock transmission combo, your engine is constrained by that all-wrong-for-318performance-combo. and
As long as your engine has the stock deck height, and factory heads, no matter how big a cam you put into it, it will be a dog until the rpm climbs up into the Power window which could be as high as 3800 rpm, just to tickle the powerband. With typical 2.76 gears and a TF, that will be ~43mph; and full power will not arrive until ~60mph.

Of course not, and you know the solution is a higher stall to get closer to where the power is, like a 3800, right? I mean that's where the Powerband begins right? Well yes and no. You might want to be there, but that makes a lousy streeter.
So the next thing to consider, is to get rid of the 2.76s. The right gear for a street teener is almost always more than 3.91s; which will get you ~65@5000. Put a 2800 stall on that, and you have a nice street transmission ...... except in Drive, 65=3160 plus or minus slip. So now unless you are building a City-Only car, you need an overdrive.
Ok so the point is, no matter what you do to your teener, yur gonna need a convertor and an overdrive for her to be a true streeter.. Plus of course the usual upgrades to your TF to make it reliable, etcetera.
So, if you cannot do this work yourself, it's gonna cost you a lotta lotta money to get this done. But if you don't do this first, your budget-318 hop-up will be a dog for like 95% of the time.
So, my advice is to do these things first, so that you can enjoy your stock 318 until you have the money to at least upgrade the compression ratio.

Now, lemmee tell you about my transmission, and judge for yourself if you think it could help your street-teener.
BTW
I'm not telling that this is what you should build. I am telling you that it took me many years to get to where I am, and thousands of dollars.
but it will still not hurt my feelings one bit, if you chose another path. Remember, I take no offense if you're not interested.

3.09-1.92-1.40-1.00-.78od. and splits are .62-.73-.72-.78, but, I shift into overdrive
after third and then into 4od, making the splits .62-.73-.78-.71. Check out how progressive those first 3 shifts are.
Now, here comes the neat part; I wired a bypass on the GV controller, so I can splitshift. With full 12 volts going to the shift solenoid, the GV shifts like lightning. Here is the neater part; Split-shifting between 1st and 2nd, and after Second, the ratios are
IDK if there is anywhere on God's Green Earth that you can find three splits that tight.

Effectively, this is a very progressive 5-speed trans, that is well able to be a Six on the street.

Shifting at 5500, the rpm drop is to 4350, a powerband requirement of just 1155 rpm.
On the street, I like to gear this with 3.23s so that 1.92 Second hits 65@ 5020, which I can do because I have a modest-cammed longer-stroke 367 engine. Whereas if I had a 318, I might use 3.73s for 60=5370, which would run well with a 5000rpm powerpeak, say a 223@050 cam. That's a pretty small cam, and, with 3.73s you cruise rpm is 65=2350, and
if I was a betting man, I'd bet with the right cylinder pressure, you could tune that deep into the 20s mpg.
Now, that's a streeter.
Or well, you know, a factory 318 with just a 4bbl, and say 3.23s would be a pretty good combo, @ 65= 2040.
And the best part, you don't have to dink around with convertors or shift kits or stinking governor weights; and you will NEVER burn out that Commando/GVod combo, and honestly, your clutch discs with a 318, should just keep on going and going and going. And so, it's like a one time deal.
Oh and you got that variable stall thing, called a clutch. Even the factory 2bbl, 8/1 318 should get rubber in first, and may even blow thru First-over, as well, lol. I know my winter-engine, a factory smog318, with 4.30s had no trouble.
Now, to conclude, this is Torque-multiplication at it's finest. This is the culmination of five years of throwing stuff at my combo, to see what sticks. My combo has seen every small-input, A833 ratio, that Mopar ever built, and every rear gear from 2.76 to 4.30, plus 4.88 and 5.13s, and except 3.73s. Not until I got the GVod did I have a winning combination, and I finally settled on 3.55s, which allowed my 367 to trap 93mph@6150rpm in Second-over, lol.

If your 318 only has 135psi cylinder pressure in stock form, and you slide a big cam into that;
I generally agree with your main premise, the powerband and gearing should match the rpms at the mph you'll be using the engine at. And gearing definitely matters more as engines get smaller and or rpms get higher.

Problem is stall, gearing and cr seem to be the last thing people want to do especially with a mild 318 and if they do it's by a little bit.

Does this mean you can't get meaningful performance out of a 318 by just adding parts to a stock short block and the obviously answer is yes you can. (Check out 318willrun)

This is where you lose me, people have obviously hopped up low cr 318 and been satisfied with their results and you refuses to accept that reality you don't think possible cause you would find it unacceptable.

Then you don't always use realistic numbers to prove your case, Eg.. The use of 3800 rpm in this case acting like a mild hopped up 318 gonna make no extra power under 3800 rpms based on what ?

There's dyno evidence mild mods gain hp as low as 2000 rpm possibly lower they never dyno that low and can be pretty substantial gains especially over a stock sub 200 hp low cr 2bbl V8.

You act like adding 50-100+ hp to a 318 will result in slowing the car down overall, that even if there's a slight sacrifice to the first couple of seconds of a full throttle run but that even with the overall performance being improved and vastly increasing 0-60 0-80 1/4 mile etc.. Ain't worth it cause of the under 3000 rpm sacrifice that may or may not occurred.

Maybe true for you but a lot would be happier, the object is to make the OP's happy and for some might be following your recipe but for many others it's probably not, the trick is to figure out who's who.

Last edited:

BTW

Now, that's a streeter.

IMG_0993.jpeg

More misinformation by AJ

Great. Just great.

Zero in on in AJ, tell us what you built before, again.

look out man, they racin' calculators out there. and you don't want none of that mess.

if you lose ya gotta give up your batteries. your batteries man.

BTW

Now, that's a streeter.

Way too technical for my sorry *** to decide or form an opinion as I am obtuse as RustyRatRod would attest.

I'm almost ready to roll with '64 GT Dart 318 transplant, stock 7 1/4, 2.76:1, 904 pushbutton with shift kit, paid for stall converter and screwed? Now running 340 from member and just finishing install and hope to finally drive manana.

Running to ultimate performance ? No.
8 3/4 3.23:1 open bought from member and installing soon.

Ultimate performance? No.

4:30:1 gears coming ? Probably

Stall ? Eventually.

Money, time and staying out of interior or body/paint are the only goals for this old cat and splitting hairs is counterproductive for me as having to play catchup in old age.

Details of the minutae be damned.

Of course this is my predicament and I always appreciate all pertinent and useful information.

I like others may seem long winded or off topic.

Sorry, Jeff

To my target audience;
Those of you with stock-powered 318 Darts and such, that drive your cars as DDs to work every day, and do not wish to be revving at 3200, nor getting single-digit mpgs, nor are interested in racing. But all you really want, is to get off the line a lil quicker.
Consider
that your 318 is making at most 140 psi, more likely it's closer to 130.
Let that sink in.
The factory 318 cam is about the smallest cam ever available to it.
Almost every bigger cam that you put into that thing is gonna drop the cylinder pressure.
Pressure is heat is torque is power. So
if you drop the pressure you automatically lose power in the range from idle to 3500rpm, the range that with your factory gears being from 2.73 to at most 3.23s, your engine is destined to be in, for 95% or more of it's life.
Let that sink in
Even if you had 3.23s, 3500rpm is ~32mph,
your bigger cam is gonna start adding power right about there, one hp atta time.
But, you gotta get to 32mph first, and your pressure is down, so it's gonna take looooooonger to get there!
IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?
Furthermore,
with the reduced cylinder pressure, it takes more throttle-opening to find the power to cruise with, so there is a very good chance that your fuel economy will suffer.
Furthermore,
with less pressure, getting off the line is gonna be lazier than with the stock cam. I repeat
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
Less pressure is the wrong way to go, and with a smog-era-teen, there is no easy/cheap way to get the pressure back.
My 318 friends;
listen to the Power junkie-clowns at your own peril.

Now then; Here's an example. Clowns take note, I said example.
Suppose your 2bbl-318 stalls at 2000rpm and at WOT makes 160 ftlbs there. Thru first gear, and the thru the 2.73 gears that most of your cars will have, this multiplies to 1070 ftlbs into the rear axles, irrespective of what's happening inside the convertor. Remember that number.
Now pretend you install a 4bbl and a 2800 stall, so now your torque is up to 200 ftlbs/WOT, an increase of 25%. Let that sink in.
Now think about it, what cam could you install to match that, at 2800?
Now lets install 3.23s which will multiply that increase another 18.3%, so now, into the rear axles are going 1583 ftlbs, a total increase of
47.8%
You are gonna need to install a mechanical supercharger on top of your stock-cammed 318 to match that.
But wait, at 2800, the 4bbl is barely being tickled, and those 3.23s are adding their 18.3%, all the way to shift rpm.
ISN'T THIS WHAT YOU WANT?

Who cares about 20/30 hp at 5000rpm which with 2.73gears doesn't come around until 60 mph in first/101 in Second? Hmmmmmmmmmm?

The truth is, that if you up-cam your 318, then you are gonna HAVE to do one of FOUR other things;
1) stall it up, or
2) gear it up, or
3) pressure it up, or
4) some combination of the above. just to get the low-rpm sub 3500rpm torque back.
So then, you might as well stall it up and gear it up, right from the start.

Over the last 55years, I've done it every one of those ways, and bar none, stall and gears is where to start, and if you can only afford one of those, let it be stall.
To the rest of you clowns that cannot read, you are not my target audience. Go start your own thread.

Let that sink in.
Almost every bigger cam that you put into that thing is gonna drop the cylinder pressure.
if you drop the pressure you automatically lose power in the range from idle to 3500rpm,
Based on what evidence, it just your speculation that torque is gonna drop off between 2000-3500 rpms with a mild cam.

Beside 318willruns car that contradicts what you are saying, here for the 100th time which you'll ignore any evidence to the contrary, is a low cr 318, Base is stock 2bbl with headers so base with manifolds would be even less torque and Mod 1 is 4bbl and fairly decent size cam xe262h and probably the biggest cam most would recommend on stock 318 long block and Mod 3 is spacer.

As you can see the mods made huge gains in low end torque with crap cr how could that be ?

And as you can see made huge power gains not just up high but down low also there's no reason it didn't gain across the entire range. 2000-5500+ rpm.

https://www.motortrend.com/articles/mopp-0312-318-long-block-bolt-ons/
TORQUE SUPERFLOW 901 DYNO-TESTED AT WESTECH
RPMBASEMOD 1MOD 2

HORSEPOWER SUPERFLOW 901 DYNO-TESTED AT WESTECH
RPMBASEMOD 1MOD 2

the range that with your factory gears being from 2.73 to at most 3.23s, your engine is destined to be in, for 95% or more of it's life.
Let that sink in
your bigger cam is gonna start adding power right about there, one hp atta time.
But, you gotta get to 32mph first, and your pressure is down, so it's gonna take looooooonger to get there!
IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?
If it makes more average power basically over the useable rpm range, then yes.
Furthermore,
with the reduced cylinder pressure, it takes more throttle-opening to find the power to cruise with, so there is a very good chance that your fuel economy will suffer.
Furthermore,
with less pressure, getting off the line is gonna be lazier than with the stock cam. I repeat
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
What are we talking 0 to a mile or two maybe even possibly a gain? it really just an assumption that gas mileage will automatically suffer.
Less pressure is the wrong way to go, and with a smog-era-teen, there is no easy/cheap way to get the pressure back.
My 318 friends;
Ideally more cr, cylinder pressure, V/P etc.. Is desired but sometimes you got to play the hand dealt to you.
Suppose your 2bbl-318 stalls at 2000rpm and at WOT makes 160 ftlbs there.
Seems excessively low to exaggerate your point, above says 292 tq with headers so maybe 275-280 tq @ 2000 rpm not over a 100 tq lower.
Thru first gear, and the thru the 2.73 gears that most of your cars will have, this multiplies to 1070 ftlbs into the rear axles, irrespective of what's happening inside the convertor. Remember that number.
Way off
Now pretend you install a 4bbl and a 2800 stall, so now your torque is up to 200 ftlbs/WOT, an increase of 25%. Let that sink in.
Now lets install 3.23s which will multiply that increase another 18.3%, so now, into the rear axles are going 1583 ftlbs,a total increase of
47.8%
Convertor only multiplies torque not power you got the same power at stall rpm going to the driveline.
You are gonna need to install a mechanical supercharger on top of your stock-cammed 318 to match that.
But wait, at 2800, the 4bbl is barely being tickled, and those 3.23s are adding their 18.3%, all the way to shift rpm.

Who cares about 20/30 hp at 5000rpm which with 2.73gears doesn't come around until 60 mph in first/101 in Second? Hmmmmmmmmmm?
Again power is increased over most if not all the powerband just not the top.
The truth is, that if you up-cam your 318, then you are gonna HAVE to do one of FOUR other things;
1) stall it up, or
2) gear it up, or
3) pressure it up,
You don't have but will make improvements
or
4) some combination of the above. just to get the low-rpm sub 3500rpm torque back.
Based on speculation.
Over the last 55years, I've done it every one of those ways, and bar none, stall and gears is where to start, and if you can only afford one of those, let it be stall.
To the rest of you clowns that cannot read, you are not my target audience.
It would be good if people would add stall, gears and cr to a mild 318 but it's quite obvious most at least want to start with engine mods no matter how many threads you go into a try to brow beat them into doing the driveline first/only.
Go start your own thread.
We can do that and question your exaggeration of facts, like I said many times I agree with your basic premise it's when you twist unrealistic numbers to try to get your way, and refuse to modify your example's based on reality. And your true purpose discourage anyone from doing up a 318, since your recipe is not to lol.

Eg.. Like a cam automatically loses a ton of bottom end, zero gains in the mids and only gains up above where you'll never reach in the streets apparently no exception :)

Last edited:
To my target audience;
Those of you with stock-powered 318 Darts and such, that drive your cars as DDs to work every day, and do not wish to be revving at 3200, nor getting single-digit mpgs, nor are interested in racing. But all you really want, is to get off the line a lil quicker.
Consider
Let that sink in.
if you drop the pressure you automatically lose power in the range from idle to 3500rpm, the range that with your factory gears being from 2.73 to at most 3.23s, your engine is destined to be in, for 95% or more of it's life.
Let that sink in
IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?
Furthermore,
Furthermore,
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
My 318 friends;

Suppose your 2bbl-318 stalls at 2000rpm and at WOT makes 160 ftlbs there. Thru first gear, and the thru the 2.73 gears that most of your cars will have, this multiplies to 1070 ftlbs into the rear axles, irrespective of what's happening inside the convertor. Remember that number.
Now lets install 3.23s which will multiply that increase another 18.3%, so now, into the rear axles are going 1583 ftlbs, a total increase of
47.8%

1) stall it up, or
2) gear it up, or
3) pressure it up, or

To the rest of you clowns that cannot read, you are not my target audience. Go start your own thread.
IMG_0993.jpeg

You clown are like flies on chit, aren't you.
But it's Ok, I understand, you just have a hard time in the understanding department, having spent too many years on different track.
You know, what you could do, is take a break, and let the target audience speak. Let them rip on me for a while.

You clown are like flies on chit, aren't you.
But it's Ok, I understand, you just have a hard time in the understanding department, having spent too many years on different track.
You know, what you could do, is take a break, and let the target audience speak. Let them rip on me for a while.

Not really. We are just sick to death of you telling people what can’t be done when it has been done, is being done and will be done again.

You repeat the same errors over and over and over. And that’s exactly what they are.

I get you are proud of your build and you should be. Just STOP putting limits on what others can do that you can’t or won’t do.

It’s as simple as that really.

-
Back