Alcan Highway

-

trebor75

Reaction score
Saw the documentary Alcan Highway today. I quite liked it. This is a road trip I would want to do at some point. Quite a journey for a Swede though. Any one here who drove it? Besides flying from Sweden and back. What would it take budget wise? I have never been to either the Alaska, Canada or anywhere in the US for that matter. Going to the Us on tour with my band soon though. Looking forward.

See the movie, the work quite a bit on that truck, it's fun to watch. You will need english subs though.

Trailer:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Ol4jaXBT4"]A Film by Aleksi Salmenperä Alcan Highway (Alaska Highway) - YouTube[/ame]

Yes, I rode as a child in the back of a VW microbus up the AlCan Highway from Witchita Falls TX to Anchorage AK back in 1961. We lived there during the great earthquake of 1964,right at the epicenter in Turnagin Arms.

Loved Alaska and all the great people we met there. Scary drive on the AlCan though!

Yes, I rode as a child in the back of a VW microbus up the AlCan Highway from Witchita Falls TX to Anchorage AK back in 1961. We lived there during the great earthquake of 1964,right at the epicenter in Turnagin Arms.

Loved Alaska and all the great people we met there. Scary drive on the AlCan though!

Thank you for sharing!

Once in 2003 in my 1971 Challenger. Haines to Anchorage then return via Skagway.

Attachments

• YukonSmall.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 187
first, you are touring with a band ? what is it's name ?

On the show gas monkey a couple of swedes bought a caddy I think (and did the route 66) ..came back a second time..cannot remember the car they bought and did another road trip.

We are starting to do a "wish list" for road trips when we retire in a couple of years..if you go, please post pictures..this run interests me..

Love your duster too.. :)

Ian.

The story I wrote up afterwards;

Over the Pacific and past the moose, to Mopars On Ice we go!
Ok, ok, I know it is my fault. Being born and raised in Alaska, and into Mopars since I was sixteen I always read the magazines and wished the big shows were closer, or that we at least had a Mopar Show in Alaska to call our own. I started hanging out on the Alaskan Mopars web board and it did not take me to long to get into trouble. When I was a kid, my friends gave me the nick-name “Instigator” for getting things started, usually trouble. So, I proposed that we do our own Alaska show on the site, we batted it around, came up with the name and the T-shirts, found a location, got a permit and away we went. No sponsor’s per se, I paid for the award plaques and the t-shirts and artwork because no one else was interested. I almost broke even too. J

My good friend Ann was flying up to share the driving and expenses. From here to Anchorage as the crow flies is 1420 miles, but I live on an Island, so the plan was to put my ‘71 Challenger on the ferry as far as Haines, then drive up through British Columbia Canada and the Yukon before crossing back into Alaska and on to Anchorage.
It was a good plan, but the Ferry we were on broke down in Juneau. Big time. The reduction gear went out, so here we were, stranded and I had the show permit, awards, show t-shirts, judging forms and pre-registration forms in my car. We were still 2000 miles from the show. We were able to get on a ferry the next day and get to Haines only 27 hours behind schedule, so all was not lost!

We hit the road and drove hard, made it through customs at the Canadian border after about 45 minutes and we drove for 11 hours straight, spending the night in Tok, AK. We saw a grizzly bear, a few moose and bought some of the lowest octane gas known to man in the Yukon. On the way into Tok, we experienced the never-ending-sunset, the sun barely set just over the horizon and hung there, just barely out of sight for hours, but still lighting the way, slowly working it’s way north. We did not need the lights on at 1 in the morning, it never really got dark. It was eerie, but awesome to see. The scenery in Alaska is like nowhere else on earth, you just have to come on up and see it to believe it.

There was a lot of road construction along the Alcan (Alaska -Canadian Hwy), we made it through with maybe 100 or so rock chips in my new paint, I should go out and actually count them one of these days. We made it to the show in Anchorage five hours after it started and it was raining! Hooray! Everyone was glad to see us though, we had called ahead to let folks know we were running late due to the ferry breaking down.

At this point, I was quite happy that anyone had showed up at all! There were about 20 cars there, some cars had left already, but the die-hards just huddled together and stuck it out, this is Alaska after all. I got busy handing out the judging forms and collecting fees and selling the t-shirts. It was great to put faces to names and meet everyone. It was great to stand up after two days in the car too! I was very happy with my car, it has a transplanted 440-6 that my brother rebuilt and we averaged 11.6 mpg and did not have any car trouble at all. I also won the Long Distance award!

This was at the tail end of the trip at Skagway, all the black spots are dead bugs.

Attachments

• Dead bugs small.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 207
The dirt you see is real & well earned. :)

Attachments

• Skagway Brewing Co..jpg
    64 KB · Views: 177
Hey, I know one of the guys in that movie! Rhys has been a customer of mine for over 10 years. While not a mopar guy, he does have a convertible Skylark, and an impressive collection of Gibson guitars. Including the Flying V he plays in this video:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOwjMprG8wY"]last of the v8 interceptors the humongous - YouTube[/ame]

I have an uncle that lives at "mile 1" of the Alcan Hwy. (Dawson Creek BC). He says most people that drive up from Southern California are surprised to find out that they are only about HALF WAY to Alaska at that point. Sorta puts things in perspective, if you can visualize the drive... Go prepared!

I had a friend that drove the ALCAN in an old International pickup. this was back in the early 80s. Sounded like a cool trip, (I like cool trips. :).
Its on my bucket list for sure, along with taking the train across Canada.

first, you are touring with a band ? what is it's name ?

On the show gas monkey a couple of swedes bought a caddy I think (and did the route 66) ..came back a second time..cannot remember the car they bought and did another road trip.

We are starting to do a "wish list" for road trips when we retire in a couple of years..if you go, please post pictures..this run interests me..

Love your duster too.. :)

Ian.

Yes, I'm a musician. I've been in a bunch of recording/touring bands over the years. I recently released my first solo album called Robert Pehrsson's Humbucker. Thats priority 1 right now, and the one I'm gonna go to the US with. I'm also in the band Imperial State Electric and the death metal band Death Breath. You can find the albums on Spotify if you wanna check them out.

Here's the two latest singles from my solo album:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkOjfqlvRME"]Robert Pehrsson's Humbucker - Wasted Time - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqZMvYJLATg"]Robert Pehrsson's Humbucker - Haunt My Mind - YouTube[/ame]

I'm check up on that show Gas Monky and see if I can find that episode. I would like to get a Suburban if I do that road trip. I know, not a mopar, blasphemy :)

The story I wrote up afterwards;

Over the Pacific and past the moose, to Mopars On Ice we go!
Ok, ok, I know it is my fault. Being born and raised in Alaska, and into Mopars since I was sixteen I always read the magazines and wished the big shows were closer, or that we at least had a Mopar Show in Alaska to call our own. I started hanging out on the Alaskan Mopars web board and it did not take me to long to get into trouble. When I was a kid, my friends gave me the nick-name “Instigator” for getting things started, usually trouble. So, I proposed that we do our own Alaska show on the site, we batted it around, came up with the name and the T-shirts, found a location, got a permit and away we went. No sponsor’s per se, I paid for the award plaques and the t-shirts and artwork because no one else was interested. I almost broke even too. J

My good friend Ann was flying up to share the driving and expenses. From here to Anchorage as the crow flies is 1420 miles, but I live on an Island, so the plan was to put my ‘71 Challenger on the ferry as far as Haines, then drive up through British Columbia Canada and the Yukon before crossing back into Alaska and on to Anchorage.
It was a good plan, but the Ferry we were on broke down in Juneau. Big time. The reduction gear went out, so here we were, stranded and I had the show permit, awards, show t-shirts, judging forms and pre-registration forms in my car. We were still 2000 miles from the show. We were able to get on a ferry the next day and get to Haines only 27 hours behind schedule, so all was not lost!

We hit the road and drove hard, made it through customs at the Canadian border after about 45 minutes and we drove for 11 hours straight, spending the night in Tok, AK. We saw a grizzly bear, a few moose and bought some of the lowest octane gas known to man in the Yukon. On the way into Tok, we experienced the never-ending-sunset, the sun barely set just over the horizon and hung there, just barely out of sight for hours, but still lighting the way, slowly working it’s way north. We did not need the lights on at 1 in the morning, it never really got dark. It was eerie, but awesome to see. The scenery in Alaska is like nowhere else on earth, you just have to come on up and see it to believe it.

There was a lot of road construction along the Alcan (Alaska -Canadian Hwy), we made it through with maybe 100 or so rock chips in my new paint, I should go out and actually count them one of these days. We made it to the show in Anchorage five hours after it started and it was raining! Hooray! Everyone was glad to see us though, we had called ahead to let folks know we were running late due to the ferry breaking down.

At this point, I was quite happy that anyone had showed up at all! There were about 20 cars there, some cars had left already, but the die-hards just huddled together and stuck it out, this is Alaska after all. I got busy handing out the judging forms and collecting fees and selling the t-shirts. It was great to put faces to names and meet everyone. It was great to stand up after two days in the car too! I was very happy with my car, it has a transplanted 440-6 that my brother rebuilt and we averaged 11.6 mpg and did not have any car trouble at all. I also won the Long Distance award!

Great write up! Thank you for sharing!

Hey, I know one of the guys in that movie! Rhys has been a customer of mine for over 10 years. While not a mopar guy, he does have a convertible Skylark, and an impressive collection of Gibson guitars. Including the Flying V he plays in this video:
last of the v8 interceptors the humongous - YouTube

Cool! I have about 10 Gibsons myself, mostly Les Pauls, but I do have a Flying V and a SG.

I have an uncle that lives at "mile 1" of the Alcan Hwy. (Dawson Creek BC). He says most people that drive up from Southern California are surprised to find out that they are only about HALF WAY to Alaska at that point. Sorta puts things in perspective, if you can visualize the drive... Go prepared!

Prepared is the key!

I had a friend that drove the ALCAN in an old International pickup. this was back in the early 80s. Sounded like a cool trip, (I like cool trips. :).
Its on my bucket list for sure, along with taking the train across Canada.

I would also like to get something like a Suburban, International, Wagoner to drive.

-
Back