alternator and headlight upgrade

-

340 Dart

I don't know ****.
Reaction score
My headlights are pretty dim and brighten as the rpm's go up.
I think it is time for an upgrade.

Has anyone improved their bulbs and alternator?
What is stock anyway? 60amp?

Its for the 74 318 Duster.

start by doing the mad electrical alt wiring upgrade. that alone will improve the lights and charging a bit. then do hid style lights but you need relays to safely turn them on and it also takes alot of the heat away from the headlight switch. i just had an alternator made to internal regulated but you don't need to go that far.

You could always go with a Tri-bar headlight setup. They use a standard Halogen bulb that plugs in the back of the housing. They also make Silverstars that are drop in lamps for our cars. I installed a 100amp alternator, since my crapped out anyway. I haven't stepped up to the MAD wiring plan, but I think I will eventually.

halogen_kit.jpg

start by doing the mad electrical alt wiring upgrade
I have never heard of this. Do you have any more info or a link?

They also make Silverstars that are drop in lamps for our cars.
Are Silverstars something that can be bought at a local autoparts store or is an online company. I have never heard of them either.

We use the CIBIE Euro-Spec headlamps

with the Painless Wiring headlamp wiring upgrade,

along with a 75a alternator & the Painless Wiring

alternator wiring upgrade.

Would highly recommend reading each page

of Dan Stern's website before making any purchase

of aftermarket lighting. You'll forever be glad you did!

Start here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/tech.html

HTH

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/brighter-headlights.shtml

This will explain the relay upgrade.

The Silverstars are a replacement headlamp that is readily available at autoparts stores. The color temperature is closer to "daylight" temp, which appears brighter. In actuality, it is just easier to see because of the temp (more white, less yellow....NOT blue).

You could always go with a Tri-bar headlight setup. They use a standard Halogen bulb that plugs in the back of the housing. They also make Silverstars that are drop in lamps for our cars. I installed a 100amp alternator, since my crapped out anyway. I haven't stepped up to the MAD wiring plan, but I think I will eventually.

halogen_kit.jpg

That's what I upgraded to the H4 system.
Got everything off of Summit. Look for Zoop and Painless. I didn't see that kit like in the picture,,,might have been cheaper. The relays are trick! I can now see where I am going at night!

I already did the amp gauge by pass, and installed later model chargering system which supplied more amps.

It looks like I have some studying to do. :read2:

Thanks alot for all the great information!

Has anyone successfully put any of these systems on their cars?
How did you like it and did you have any problems?

What would you use for an Alternator?

It looks like I have some studying to do. :read2:

Thanks alot for all the great information!

Has anyone successfully put any of these systems on their cars?
How did you like it and did you have any problems?

What would you use for an Alternator?

Yes

I love it no problems!

If you have the old typ charging system then I would change over to the newer chaging system. I used 75 Duster to get the parts I needed to change over to the later model chaging system on my 67 cuda. All you need is between 65 -100 amps I would say.

On the headlight wiring and relays the Painless wires was already made up just like the above picture. All you have to do is hook a wire to the starter relay, one to ground, and the wires come with a connector that you plug into your headlight connector on the back of your exiting headlights.

My headlights are pretty dim and brighten as the rpm's go up.
I think it is time for an upgrade.

Has anyone improved their bulbs and alternator?
What is stock anyway? 60amp?

Its for the 74 318 Duster.
OK GUYS DONT GET PISSED AT ME! THE GUY WHOM I I BOUGHT NY DUSTER FROM CONVERTED IT TO A GM ONE WIRE.I NEVER HAVE ANY DIMMING PROBLEMS EVEN AT LOW IDLE.I KNOW THE PURISTS ARENT GOING TO BE HAPPY BUT IT WORKS GREAT.

duster eng side.jpg

-
Back