alternator wiring help please!

-

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I pulled off the wiring for the alternator on my 82 D150 slant so I could rebuild the engine. And like an idiot, I labeled every single wire except for the alternator that I lumped together. Now the alternator is going back on and it's not clear where the wires go. The charge line for the battery is a no-brainer, but the other two wires are not clear which goes where, or if it matters. There are two field terminals and I have a green and a red wire for them. Using the FSM in one place it shows the green and red wires on two of the studs, then in another place it shows the wires reversed. Does is matter which wire goes on which field stud?

I don't have info handy on the "newer" trucks but I doubt it matters. Take your meter and check continuity between the two studs. If it is the field they should show very low continuity, and open (infinity) to the case. Now find the VR and examine the connector. Does either of the two wire colors appear at the VR? That one should be continuity. The remaining wire at the alternator should power up and down with the key on/off.

"If" that is indeed what they are, which one is where does not matter on the two studs

-
Back