Aluminum Parts

-

JGC403

Reaction score
From what I have read on here the aluminum case isn't recommended for a performance build. What about an aluminum bell housing or tailshaft? I would like to reduce some weight if possible, but if those components are going to be a weak point I'll find another way to reduce weight.

if ya wanna get crazy, passon performance makes an aluminum case standard A833 for 750 bucks...

it would be interesting to see how much weight is saved....

My OE bell is aluminum, '73 Cuda. Cast iron/steel trans.

For a performance build, I'll assume your actually going to make over a true 450/450 powered engine, do not use a OE aluminum case trans. A modern trans case will be stronger and OK for some power. The bell can be aluminum though I would caution against it in favor of a scatter shield. (Your) feet are good to retain in a God forbid..... A. Aluminum or lighter driveshaft is a good move. I do not see any real advantage to an aluminum flywheel. After all, this is a street vehicle right?

Build for longevity and worry not about weight here.
For a race car, the reverse is possible with longevity because the whole package is made super light.

It's not going to improve handling due to the weight placement. Cast trans is heavier, but you would see more improvement by just placing the battery in your trunk. Any weight shaved from the front of the car is like adding that weight in the back for transfer. If you pull a 40lb battery and place it in the trunk, it's like adding 80lbs to the rear for traction.

The only place a lot of weight in general hurts you is it's ballast creating inertia and fighting it while stopping and then accelerating, like in traffic, but a transmission isn't where you want to look.

I went out of my way to find an iron case for my gears, because gear drives like spreading, which is exactly what happens. Main and countershaft gear sets want to force themselves apart under tension and it's a lot more likely for an aluminum case with a floating countershaft to allow it to move, than an iron case with a fixed countershaft.

This is also why VW and Porsche H air cooled engines have problems with blocks needing align bored for the crank. All of them run timing gears on split blocks that are aluminum.

Aluminum tailshafts are fine, but make sure that the yoke bushing is good. The aluminum cases lost oil easier from poor sealing and inherently, lost oil at the bushing from starvation and they spin bushings. With an iron case, it should be ok. Aluminum bells are fine on a street car that isn't going to see high RPM and heavy clutch dropping.

Ever see a fly wheel come apart at 6500? Happened in my 70 340 4sd Duster about 40 years ago. A piece went through floor board about 2" from my right foot. Another piece went straight up took out radio and went through the windshield. Both ears on the back of the block were broke off. Engine was junk after that. Last time I ever went rowing gears without a scatter shield and backing plate.

Ever see a fly wheel come apart at 6500? Happened in my 70 340 4sd Duster about 40 years ago. A piece went through floor board about 2" from my right foot. Another piece went straight up took out radio and went through the windshield. Both ears on the back of the block were broke off. Engine was junk after that. Last time I ever went rowing gears without a scatter shield and backing plate.

was that a stock flywheel, or a SFI billet steel flywheel?

Thanks for the input. I have 2 transmissions, one has a cast iron case and tail, the other an aluminum case and cast iron tail. One is going into a DD duster with a 360, car might get a stroked 360 someday, but will be taken to the track every now and then. The other is going into my Ram with a 383, should be close to 500 hp. I was going to use the aluminum case with the 360 and the cast iron one with the 383. Below 450 hp the aluminum case will be OK?

Street cars shouldn't see 6500. At least not ON the street.

Street is a loose term, though. Generally speaking, if you are going to beat the snot out of your pedals, get ready. If you are going to keep it out of the carpet, you can keep your shoes free of new holes and go to the prom with aluminum bells on.

Street cars shouldn't see 6500. At least not ON the street.

Street is a loose term, though. Generally speaking, if you are going to beat the snot out of your pedals, get ready. If you are going to keep it out of the carpet, you can keep your shoes free of new holes and go to the prom with aluminum bells on.

Are you kidding? What about those blasts while merging onto a freeway? lol ...or driving on an old country back road. ...Driving..i should say, ripping. lol Of course while listen to the Top Gun soundtrack "DangerZone' on full blast. :D

No but my Dart has scars from just such an event. Looks like some thing your lucky to walk away from. A scatter shield is on my list when I start uping the HP.

No but my Dart has scars from just such an event. Looks like some thing your lucky to walk away from. A scatter shield is on my list when I start uping the HP.

Why not spend and extra couple hundred and do it in one shot so you don't have to pull, Install, rinse, and repeat?

Aluminum flywheels are less likely to 'splode, right?

The inertia is down, so possibly, but anything can happen. This again, assumes that you are going to terrorize RPM. Aluminum is less likely to eat through steel sheet metal, because of it's lack of inertia.

Another option is to use a trans blanket if you've already got an aluminum one in a car. No disassembly required there and it can be used on any transmission for any car, so if you plan on racing one, one day and another at some other point and want to switch things up, grab the creeper and go for it.

-
Back