caferacerx

BAND MEMBER
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I think this is a 68 69 Barracuda factory AM / FM thumbwheel radio,
looking to trade for an A body 8 3/4 rear, or housing and parts
all the buttons and dials work, but I have not tested it, the station indicator orange line does not move it just remains in the same spot
what you see is what you get, there are places that refurbish these starting at around $125 and up to $395 if you want modern guts installed

http://www.vintageautoradio.com/

http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com/index.html

Attachments

• thumbweel radio 008.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 497
If I had a need for this radio, I'd trade you one of my A Body 8.75s for it in a minute. GLWS or Trade!

Are you interested in selling it?

feel free to make an offer, if I can find a rear nearby on CL for around the same price I will sell it,
I have no use for the radio but could really use an 8 3/4 for my car
my 7 1/4 sounds a bit funny

if anyone can tell me what wires are what, I will test it, but I assume it is being used as a core to be refurbished

some more pics as requested

Attachments

• thumbweel radio 004.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 450
if anyone can tell me what wires are what, I will test it, but I assume it is being used as a core to be refurbished

There should be a red and orange and a couple of dark colored wires. Red goes to power, orange to lights, other 2 wires to the speaker. Add the antenna and ground the radio case, turn it on and hope that the radio plays. I bought a known not working A Body knob style AM/FM from another member and sent it to Gary Tayman to be converted. Looks brand new with 4 speaker capability and aux input for other stuff.

OK I hooked up a speaker to the black and green wires, grounded the case, put power to the orange wire and the light came on, when I put power to the red wire I got some nice loud static (no antenna and you cant change stations because the string that moves the indicator is broken, as happens on older radios) but

it works!!!!

When I was young I was a TV and radio repairman and changed a many of those broken strings. Not really all that hard to do.

Oh yeah, a coat hanger works in a pinch for an antenna if your just needing to test it.

WOO! HOO! not a string, it is mechanical and was just stuck from sitting, a drop of Kroil did the trick, now the indicator moves free, and the belt for the tuner is intact (surprisingly) more pics to follow

Attachments

• thumbweel radio 015.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 420
  • thumbweel radio 016.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 388
the inside

Attachments

• thumbweel radio 009.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 399
  • thumbweel radio 011.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 408
WOO! HOO! not a string, it is mechanical and was just stuck from sitting, a drop of Kroil did the trick, now the indicator moves free, and the belt for the tuner is intact (surprisingly) more pics to follow

I have never been in a Mopar radio, just figured they used a string too. Sounds like you lucked out.

update, I hooked up an antenna and tuned in some FM stations
no luck with AM, I think the switch is just dirty, a lot of static when changing from AM to FM, but the tuner works fine now,

$650 obo or a complete 2:93 open 8 3/4 rear or housing and parts 741 case is fine,
I have seen a couple of these for sale for no less than $800 and up to $1000 refurbished, so I may send it out and pay the $150 to have that done, that way whoever gets it is getting a guaranteed 100% fully functional radio
if I do that I will want a 3:23 sure grip with the correct flared drums in trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back