am i paying to much for race short block?

-
H

hatethis68

my engine builder has a 496 stroker short block he will sell me for $3500
ohio crank and rods, j e dome top pistons.
all machine work done.
$3500? is this a good deal?
ill need everything else

It sounds good from here, though alot depends on the rest of the parts, there current state of wellness of the new parts as well as the old parts and total work performed on the shortblock.
They can cost more than that, equipment and intended purpose can raise the cost easy.
If I knew the builder by rep or personnaly, and I was in your shoes, I would ask some questions on it and ask for a possible guarrentee on the work performed. He may not give it if the shortblock sits around for awhile while you collect parts for it.

Also, @ 500 cubes, I really would not just top it with Edelbrock heads. Otherwise, it would perform like a 440. Something like preped Indy heads that can help 500 cubes really shine.

Be aware of checking compression if you're planning on street driving it. I was planning on doing a 496/383 block stroker but found that they come out to aroune 11:1 compression. Too high for pump gas. OK for race only, though. My 2 cents.

don

thanx guys! does anyone have any parts for sale? i need a carb, rocker arms and valve covers. electric water pump,msd distributor

Some other things
Most of your JE domes on a 500 motor are big crompretion in 74cc heads.
Also ask about the crank caps-mainly about if the block has studs for the cap.
Is the bolk filled?
Did they block your oil pickup?
Did they put in oil restictor to the heads.
What cam bearing are in it?
The price seems pritty good but you don't want a motor that is built to need parts you dont have. I.E. Side oiler- Rollercam.

-
Back