Ammeter wires

-

Sam_318

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm finally getting around to installing new gueages and cluster from autmeter and classic dash. Got pretty much the most of it wired up on both sides, guages and orginal harness side. I've read the instructions and realized it did not mention anything about what to do with my ammeter wires. From my understanding if those wires aren't hooked up it will not power the car? Could be wrong I am by no means an expert and very new to this mopar stuff. I understand how to wire the voltage guage but was wondering if anyone can help me out and suggest what I may need to do with my existing wires. It's a 1969 valiant I appreciate any help fellas .

20240928_194114.jpg

20240928_194025.jpg

The red is a direct feed, only protected by the poor protection of the fuse link, from the battery. The black carries on through the ammeter and branches off to supply loads, then goes back through the bulkhead to the alternator. You need to at least bolt them together, AND I WOULD furthermore inspect the bulkhead terminals that those to use, as well as (at least) the dark blue "run" wire to the ignition. I also would install a large gauge, no 8, 6, etc, jumper wire from the alternator output to the starter relay "big stud" which amounts to "the battery." Put a large circuit breaker in that line, depending on the size of your alternator.

Does your new set have an ammeter? The large red and black ring terminals are for oem ammeter. The black one looks very suspect (melted?) Look into that 1st.

First....DISCONNECT THE BATTERY

Both ammeter wires are hot (red and black)......One from the battery and one from the ALT.

Simply clean them up good, bolt them together, and insulate the hell out of them so they don't short out because of vibration etc.

The red is a direct feed, only protected by the poor protection of the fuse link, from the battery. The black carries on through the ammeter and branches off to supply loads, then goes back through the bulkhead to the alternator. You need to at least bolt them together, AND I WOULD furthermore inspect the bulkhead terminals that those to use, as well as (at least) the dark blue "run" wire to the ignition. I also would install a large gauge, no 8, 6, etc, jumper wire from the alternator output to the starter relay "big stud" which amounts to "the battery." Put a large circuit breaker in that line, depending on the size of your alternator.
The bulk head is in pretty good shape the only actual original wiring is the guage portion. Rear and headlight/engine wiring is new from year one. I do have an 8 guage alternator wire brand new. You suggest i connect both red and black together and add that wire from the alternator to the starter relay?

20240928_202830.jpg

-
Back