And now it's time for the Covid "I guess" lumber shortage

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Trying to get the new stainless steel outboard tank ready to rock. Went to Lowes then HD Neither had what I want in pressure treated. The "transom" is about 38" so I wanted a 2x4 x 8 ft and a 2x6 x 8ft pressure treated. NADA Lowes---zip........Went to HD and finally settled on a 2x8 pressure treated and a 2x4 untreated stud. Christ 'Murica...............

Noticed the same thing here on the weekend, was at HD for some things, need a new 2x4 to replace one on my back yard gate, whole lotta empty shelves.:wtf:

I guess a lot of people had time on their hands over the last few months.

yep all places in my area that sell pressure treated wood are very low like next to nothing

Some of the shortage in lumber is due to the Corona virus temporary interrupting supply chains. And some of it is due to the fact that many folks are doing home improvement projects instead of traveling/vacationing this year.
I am having a wood fence replaced. All three of the fence building companies that took the time to quote the job said they are on the way to a record year this year. There were another half a dozen companies that said they are already booked solid for the next months,,,
So yes, some of the lumber shortage is directly due to CV, the majority of the shortage is due to the demand factor.

I had to raise the lean to roof over my new compressor so I go to Lowes to pick up one 4x4x8 PT. Not one in stock. If you look at the left 4x4 you’ll see where I had to scab one together.

99BAA9E4-231C-49D2-B6A9-733433029DC1.jpeg

You should’ve started early in the end of March early April like I did when my hours where cut. Added on to the Deck and a bunch of other needless projects to pass the time. Only stores open where Hardware and liquor stores. Needless to say later in the day the projects got out of plumb and square.

So much for my idea of wooden coins to solve the coin shortage? Back to the couch I guess for more "Deep thoughts"

I work for a property management company. I needed to pick up some decking, both Lowe’s and Home Depot sold out here in Newnan Georgia.

Home Depot in Springfield had some pretty empty shelves, but Lowe’s was pretty well stocked when I went through there last week.

Went to Home D. a few days ago for MIG wire.....none. Then I went back again yesterday to buy some cans of Rustoleum (like a dummy) and those shelves were just about 80% empty. 2 wasted trips @ 10 miles each.

Same deal here..redoing our fence. HD was outta fence boards, Home Hardware same...had to travel 45 minutes to another Home Hardware to find them. I spoke to guy at contractor desk and he said, a combination of covid shutdown catching up with us, also they have sold 40% more PT lumber this year then all of last year due to home projects.

Same here, both lumber yards are seeing above average sales.
Managed to get enough to build a small deck.
Looks like supplies for indoor renos are still ok, they have enough cedar to finish my next project.

Same here, the wife and I drove from Central Florida to west of Nashville, TN to build a deck for our daughter and her husband. All pressure treated from three different stores, Lowes, Watsons Metals and The Lumber Yard, 2x12's 2x6's 5/4x6x14" 4x4's 2x4's sakrete and lots of hardware. Since I am the design-build person for the deck I made due with what we could find.

You can actually treat the lumber yourself if needed and in some situations it could work out for the better. Pressure treated lumber swells dimensionally from having the treatment brew forced into the wood cells, with the paint on stuff that's not an issue and you coat as much as you want before or after or both.

upload_2020-7-29_9-20-3.png

Ad9XRsqUK_5eROl52WA62Vt1PBT9Tj75LinaQvAlql9yinA7UoaSBIq63RX76qBm1JMyyRY=w1183-h887-no?authuser=0.jpg

Cb9nsSex2LayynNTpfmgbQhHwzbiSAdxHkN8XgbZ6DC4zLqwlsEBhDTrmpABdiCF6LqNx3Q=w1183-h887-no?authuser=0.jpg

9W3YKmSdQzQ1HG_w8r28MM20AEL_utLI09TdkfW4fjcxtC0cdCNuxGDCbXWWNQBN8MjlI32o=w666-h887-no?authuser=0.jpg

vo0HNFXIBmB7HiVOIF8ZHwHkdo-MztCt847b7qeCr2DPhwnkNLNoOgUDOjQR7tP8xizYmE8Y=w666-h887-no?authuser=0.jpg

Same here, the wife and I drove from Central Florida to west of Nashville, TN to build a deck for our daughter and her husband. All pressure treated from three different stores, Lowes, Watsons Metals and The Lumber Yard, 2x12's 2x6's 5/4x6x14" 4x4's 2x4's sakrete and lots of hardware. Since I am the design-build person for the deck I made due with what we could find.

You can actually treat the lumber yourself if needed and in some situations it could work out for the better. Pressure treated lumber swells dimensionally from having the treatment brew forced into the wood cells, with the paint on stuff that's not an issue and you coat as much as you want before or after or both.

Good looking deck. But, are those ends hanging???

upload_2020-7-29_8-4-27.png

Same here, a couple weekends ago went to pick up one 2x4x8 treated that I needed.
Nope, none at Lowes, ended up buying what they had a 12'.
Odd thing it was only 20 cents more than the 8'.

Same here, a couple weekends ago went to pick up one 2x4x8 treated that I needed.
Nope, none at Lowes, ended up buying what they had a 12'.
Odd thing it was only 20 cents more than the 8'.
16' is always going to be the most expensive per lineal foot, most likely the mil treater pulled your 8's from 16's sometime it's cheaper or same to buy the next length up.

If you take a Viagara before going to the store, then you will be able to get wood... :D

So much for my idea of wooden coins to solve the coin shortage? Back to the couch I guess for more "Deep thoughts"

While you're back at the couch check under the cushions for some of those 'shortage' coins! LOL

i wonder (in the world we live in) if you could order what you need online, for pickup
they may pull that off the shipment as soon as it gets in and get "dibs" on it

a friend of mine was getting qoutes about a month ago, on building a deck and a few people were willing to put out drawings, but couldnt give a solid number because of the "shortage"

Deck looks good Sir, but we need to talk about your stringer’s for your steps. Those are not going to pass muster. Preferably, you need a center stair stringer. Inspector is going to beat you up over that possibly.

Hmm, I am planning to do some deck And shed repairs before winter. Guess I better start tracking down some materials ...

Deck looks good Sir, but we need to talk about your stringer’s for your steps. Those are not going to pass muster. Preferably, you need a center stair stringer. Inspector is going to beat you up over that possibly.
Thanks, The stringers are not cut(solid) which as you know makes them stronger than cut. A notched stringer is limited to 6' without support or a center stringer. A solid stringer can span up to 16' horizontal using 2x12 #2SYP or better, I did it that way on purpose. 75# PLF total load along the 12' horizontal face of the stringer is well within the carrying capacity of the lumber. Cutting stringers is a dreaded job. Plus I may redo it seems a bit steep to me, I think it is about 40+ degrees. Thanks for the input.

Lumber is priced similar to gasoline, you are charged the replacement price or "todays" price typically.

Last edited:
-
Back