And so it begins,,,,,, 5-speed Duster swap!

-

darndart

Reaction score
5-speed swap! I’ve been gathering parts, and doing research for quite a few years and I decided it’s time to pull a trigger and get it done. Car is a 72 Duster 340 clone. It’s got a pretty healthy 340 backed with a 4-speed & 3.91 gears. I love the 3.91’s but not at highway speed! I picked up a new in the box Tremec 3550 5-speed many years ago. A few years ago I picked up a Lakewood conversion bellhousing. A 18 spline Hemi throw out bearing fits the Tremec perfectly. A Magnum pilot bearing machined out to press in a Mustang T5 pilot bearing. Along with a Mustang 10.5” clutch disc. And a Hurst patch panel to cover up the floor surgery. I just got started today and will update as I go.

IMG_3373.jpeg

IMG_3374.jpeg

IMG_3387.png

IMG_3389.jpeg

IMG_3390.jpeg

IMG_3392.jpeg

IMG_3393.jpeg

IMG_3344.png

Nice, I’ll follow along. I have a T56 to “cut in” to my dart in the near future.

Looks familiar. I have the Hurst (now Holley) kit, that sheet metal cover isn't all that great. It work but needs tweaking. I too went from a 4 speed car to a Tremec. My stock drive shaft fit without modification.

Be sure to index the bell housing to the crank. Tremec's do not like a lot of error.
Make sure the mounting face is square to the block too. All the bellhousing swaps I've done required shims to square the face AND dowels to center the centerline's of the parts.

Shims.JPG

GoogleMaps says you're about 3.5 hours from me;
jus saying that's a short tow.

Nicely outfitted shop, with a 4-poster, and a tire-machine even!
I'm a lil jealous.
Not really, lol; I'm 71 and not much interested in working any more.
All the best to you.

GoogleMaps says you're about 3.5 hours from me;
jus saying that's a short tow.

Nicely outfitted shop, with a 4-poster, and a tire-machine even!
I'm a lil jealous.
Not really, lol; I'm 71 and not much interested in working any more.
All the best to you.
Thanks for the offer, but I’ve got a 30x40 shop, heated & AC, tire machine & balancer. I’m 60 and realized I need to get some of these projects done, before I’m gone!

One thing I learned on my Aluminum Bell housing was my 69 Zbar pivot did not work. I had to use the newer one that I think came out is 71 or 72? That lined it up.

It's a Lakewood Scatter Shield with block saver. Agreed. Hughes measured this motor's run-out etc.,
I’ll be using the QuickTime bell and the perpendicular axis was not one I would think to check so thanks for your input. Hopefully it’s dialed.

I’ll be using the QuickTime bell and the perpendicular axis was not one I would think to check so thanks for your input. Hopefully it’s dialed.
Lakewood 's bells seem to allow much greater variation to specs in their stuff.
The Quick Time Bell is a much nicer product. I'm using one on my new Stroker 5.9 Magnum to attach a 4L60 to it.

20240721_174212.jpg

Soo... has it started? :)
I’ve got the bellhousing bolted to the engine. I plan on cutting the center of the torsion bar crossmember on Saturday, then mounting the transmission to the bellhousing and raising it up in the tunnel to see what kind of cuts I need to make in the floor pan. I am planning on welding a flat piece of 2 inch wide steel plate to the floor pan and to the torsion bar crossmember that I cut. Hopefully it will turn out similar to the photos I have attached. I also need to check the bell housing run out in case I need to order some offset dowel pins.

IMG_3391.png

IMG_0747.png

It
What supercharger is that?
It's a Vortech / Paxton Novi 1500SL. I'm using Holley's Terminator Max to control everything including straight methanol injection sprayed into the volute of the blower.

I’ve got the bellhousing bolted to the engine. I plan on cutting the center of the torsion bar crossmember on Saturday, then mounting the transmission to the bellhousing and raising it up in the tunnel to see what kind of cuts I need to make in the floor pan. I am planning on welding a flat piece of 2 inch wide steel plate to the floor pan and to the torsion bar crossmember that I cut. Hopefully it will turn out similar to the photos I have attached. I also need to check the bell housing run out in case I need to order some offset dowel pins.

View attachment 1716296426

View attachment 1716296430
That has almost no strength at all. The bending direction from the left to right of the car is basically nothing. I can bend 1/4" bar by hand without heating it. You need a 3D shape.
1725109547454.png
1725109594366.png

This is very stuff. It's made of similar materials but it controls flex and bending in both directions. Shouldn't be terribly hard to do it right. It's especially important since that's the crossmember the torsion bars are connected to.

The lower crossmember should be strong also, but I wouldn't rely on just that.

Been 6 years with the setup on my car but the car was stiff other than the edges of the floors as soon as that upper crossmember was in.

-
Back