And the answer to the wheel question is

-

jawbone

Cuda_queer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi FABO. Trying to select a set of wheels and tires is a daunting task as most of us may know so this goes out to the select few.

Details are as follows: 68 Barracuda, 8-3/4 with 10x2-1/2 drums, Mopar 73+ disk brake conversion pending for front. Planned tire selection 205/60-15 and 225/60-15 on 15X7 w/4 in BS.

Per the details set forth in the article https://www.bigblockdart.com/threads/how-to-measure-for-proper-wheel-sizes.45889/ , have performed what was necessary to complete rear wheel layout. Before I continue, need to know what is the allowable back spacing is for the front with noted disk brake setup. Cragar offers a 15X6 with 3.3 in. BS, as well as 15X7 with 4 in. BS. Acceptable wheel width for 205/60 is 5.5-7.5". Can change my selection of wheels based on returned comments. Hope I've covered all the details. Thanks for your time. Jeff

with the 7" rims you'll want the 4" backspace, and even then you'll be close.

i have 215's on 15X7 w/ 4.25 BS running 73+ discs on my 69 and even though i'm very low, everything clears. it's close but it clears.

215's on 15x6 with 3.5BS on the same set up was very, very close and would rub sometimes at the ride height i wanted. at stock or near stock height it would probably be okay if you didn't divebomb driveways at full lock.

with the 7" rims you'll want the 4" backspace, and even then you'll be close.

i have 215's on 15X7 w/ 4.25 BS running 73+ discs on my 69 and even though i'm very low, everything clears. it's close but it clears.

215's on 15x6 with 3.5BS on the same set up was very, very close and would rub sometimes at the ride height i wanted. at stock or near stock height it would probably be okay if you didn't divebomb driveways at full lock.
Thanks for your input. I knew it was close thus the reason for the thread. Just didn't know how close.

Thanks for your input. I knew it was close thus the reason for the thread. Just didn't know how close.
i should've added the caveat that i run my cars quite a bit lower than most. at or near stock ride height changes a lot of variables.

on the 15X7 with 3.3 BS, with the 205 and it being barracuda you will probably be okay. but i know it'll be tight.

i know it's not apples to apples, but i have a 65 dart with 73+ stuff and 15X6 with the 3.5BS (the same as earlier mentioned) and while it's got 205's on it, they're "cheater" 205's and it is very close with the ride height i have.

i should've added the caveat that i run my cars quite a bit lower than most. at or near stock ride height changes a lot of variables.

on the 15X7 with 3.3 BS, with the 205 and it being barracuda you will probably be okay. but i know it'll be tight.

i know it's not apples to apples, but i have a 65 dart with 73+ stuff and 15X6 with the 3.5BS (the same as earlier mentioned) and while it's got 205's on it, they're "cheater" 205's and it is very close with the ride height i have.
The 15X7 has the 4.0 in. BS; 15X6 3.3 BS. What point is critical that your trying to clear?

The 15X7 has the 4.0 in. BS; 15X6 3.3 BS. What point is critical that your trying to clear?
fender lip-- upper and front corner.

you don't need to worry about anything suspension wise till you're at about 4.75 BS with 15 or 16's, then you're into the arms/ball joints and tie rods. at 17" you're able to clear those.

fender lip-- upper and front corner.

you don't need to worry about anything suspension wise till you're at about 4.75 BS with 15 or 16's, then you're into the arms/ball joints and tie rods. at 17" you're able to clear those.
Never would have guessed it. Is that why originals were 5.5 with 3.75 BS and skinny tires?

Never would have guessed it. Is that why originals were 5.5 with 3.75 BS and skinny tires?
likely?

most, or a lot i should say, BBP stock steelies are 4 or 4.25 BS, for instance cop wheels are 15X7 w/ 4.25 and fit great with 205~225 tires up front (depending on aspect ratio and ride height).

-
Back