Another boat question

-
7BEBD029-97DE-463F-A4B2-E991C312D91A.jpeg

Caught the smallest and the largest coho I remember today!! Then everyone was ill or bored so we snuck back over the bar before max ebb tide. About 9 miles out.

Just a regular day here Steve. I have a ramp, but usually just drive onto this one and lift her out of the water..
20240820_160248.jpg

So starter doesn't appear to be working. Of course this was after taking last part of day off work to fish and i unload it in the water. I thought it was batteries but they both load tested fine.
Bendix on starter seems "lazy". Will not turn motor over. Put rope on the pull start and am able to pull it over. It is snug tho. I dread the day I have to do that on the water.
I removed it and tested on shop floor with battery, bendix shoots out fine and spins good.
So I reinstalled, had lori try to start.
1 get 3.7 v at copper stud(1st pic). Then I chk main battery +ve on starter while key is in start. I get 12.5V there.
Suggestions? It's like it's lost it's torquing ability if that makes sense.
The pull start takes a good pull and like I said I dread ever having to use it, I'll end up in the lake.
Thanks
Steve

20240926_173722.jpg

20240926_173730.jpg

20240926_163011.jpg

20240926_145437.jpg

20240926_145357.jpg

So the vid wasn't of you with it fixed?
The starters have an overrunning clutch, like a car, so when the engine starts and revs., it won't spin the armature and throw the wire windings off, - and if the drive malfunctions/slips cuz of misc reasons, the starter will whirr, but often the small and large gear won't turn, or intermittently turn .
If that is the case, you just may need the drive/gear on the shaft of the starter. ? ?

Last edited:
Small gear(bendix) shoots out and spins when I test it on floor. When I try it installed bendix shoots out and can't turn engine over. I can rope it over.
Aftermarket starters are avail, but $250i wanna make sure I need to replace it.
So the vid wasn't of you with it fixed?
The starters have an overrunning clutch, like a car, so when the engine starts and revs., it won't spin the armature and throw the wire windings off, - and if the drive malfunctions/slips cuz of misc reasons, the starter will whirr, but often the small and large gear won't turn, or intermittently turn .
If that is the case, you just may need the drive on the shaft of the starter. ? ?

When the Bendix engages, can you hear the electric motor turning, but small gear isn't turning.
Kinda like you hear old car crank a couple turns, then goes zing.
You got the zing without the crank, rofl?
If it's totally silent, just a click when keyed, likely in starter.
Hard to tell from here, lol

Yes, when installed bendix shoots out and it just clicks. I don't believe I can hear elec motor turning.
When the Bendix engages, can you hear the electric motor turning, but small gear isn't turning.
Kinda like you hear old car crank a couple turns, then goes zing.
You got the zing without the crank, rofl?
If it's totally silent, just a click when keyed, likely in starter.
Hard to tell from here, lol

Steve: just checking cuz I've actually done this.... I bought a "spare" deep cycle battery for running pumps and stuff that was around 540 CC and If I attempted to start my outboard with it, it did exactly what I think Im hearing you describe. They have to be closer to 700 cold cranking amp batteries or they will just pop the bendix (sometime not quite engage the flywheel) and thats it.

Both batteries I tried are "starting" batteries. I believe 640 marine cranking amps. I was just out for a day last week. 9 hours on lake, no issues.
Steve: just checking cuz I've actually done this.... I bought a "spare" deep cycle battery for running pumps and stuff that was around 540 CC and If I attempted to start my outboard with it, it did exactly what I think Im hearing you describe. They have to be closer to 700 cold cranking amp batteries or they will just pop the bendix (sometime not quite engage the flywheel) and thats it.

OK here's 1st video, I apologize for the quality. I was trying to get a decent connection with shitty alligator clips.Ami right thinking the brown/wht tracer wire should get 12V?
2nd video shows testing with starter removed.

Last edited:
The bottom cyl on my ski boat occasionally got water when moored stern too the waves.
Is that possible, maybe try taking spark plugs out, should spin free then. idk.

OK here's 1st video, I apologize for the quality. I was trying to get a decent connection with shitty alligator clips.Ami right thinking the brown/wht tracer wire should get 12V?
2nd video shows testing with starter removed.

Saw video. We're it mine. I'd take the black solenoid apart, and see why the contact that jumps elec across those 2 big wire contacts isn't jumping. It's usually a big copper washer, sometimes the contact areas just "wear" away, or whatever secures the washer to plunger fails. Often, washer can be flipped on plunger for better contact surface.
I take em apart just to see what's what.
Good luck
Or just replace the black solenoid if it's avail.

Fixed...for now. Replaced a couple -ve wire ring terminal ends at battery...
The starter and solenoid both seemed to work fine when removed, so if getting proper power, it should work. I figured a terminal replacement may help. I noticed one wire has a decent amount of black junk, so a wire replacement is in order there.
Thanks all, any changes I'll post here lol.

-
Back