Another carb question

-

CopperheadDart

Reaction score
So I just scored a deal on an AussieSpeed short runner 2 barrel intake. I had a BBD on the shelf I was going to throw on it but the bolt pattern is narrower than the intake pattern. The Aussie intake is set up for a Holley/Weber pattern apparently.
So my question is what carb should I be on the hunt for??

Current engine specs: rebuilt 1978 225 w/ less than 8k miles, unknown overbore or milling, unknown cam, etc. (bought at estate auction, deceased had it rebuilt and it was still in the crate from the machine shop, no paperwork)
long tube header, 2 1/2" exhaust, updated ignition, MSD box
Currently has Offenhauser 4bbl intake and 500 Eddy that idles great (dialed in with AFR gauge) but bogs down super rich before leaning out upon any type of load... just too much carb and I know it doesn't need a 4bbl. Strange thing is I had a 600 Eddy on before this, and was able to tune it well enough to get 19mpg and pretty good drivability! I just had to ease into acceleration, and let it warm up a bit before taking off. I had a chance to trade for the 500cfm, thinking i could tune it even further.
Sitting in front of an 833OD trans, so kickdown linkage isn't a concern. It's in a 66 D100 shortbed.

aussie.jpg

I would leave the 4bbl set up on there just change over to a 390 cfm Holley or try and find the long gone 400 cfm carter. I have tired both on my slanted six, preferred the Holley as it seemed to like it the best. My engine has .30 ob with a mild cam- cant remember the specs its been in the car for over 30 years.

plus with the 4 barrel parts are not an issue and it will have an electric choke, dial it in and enjoy hassle free carburetor for a long time. If the two barrel does not have an electric choke you may run into problems as you wont have any choke which will still cause you problems at start up.

It looks like it has two patterns, one for the Holley 350/500 2bbl., and if the smaller pattern is too large for your BBD (I'm assuming it's a 318 BBD), my guess is that it's for a Holley 2210/2245 (360s and 400s)or a big block BBD (383s), which used a slightly larger bolt pattern. I think early 60s 383s used Strombergs, which personally I would steer clear of...

list 7448 350 cfm
list 4412 500 cfm
There are other #'s that are basically the same carb.

-
Back